Summicron Rigid V2 mint a good buy?

reddot925

Ko.Fe  hello,  

Not necessarily a case of whether it is or becomes( as I do hope) a collectors item.  More a case of supply and demand at time of seeking and how badly one wants something.  

When for instance I saw mine on eBay detailed with 10 or so photos along with sample shots I fell in love with it. I just had to have it, especially given the 97% condition advertised.  (to me it looks 100%)

I would not have bought it for what I paid had it been in a lesser condition.   At that time that was the best example around I could find and that was the quality I was seeking.

It was also the first lens I purchased for the camera that I got two weeks earlier and, a retro 50m lens is what I was hankering after that I could use on the M9.  

As with all auctions on the day you never know how far others are prepared to go, it is a gamble.

As sods law always intervenes within a month another appeared on eBay in 100% mint condition and sold for $800 or just over.  Hey Ho!  that's life!  

I moved on, and as I have said no regrets.  Performs fantastically for a 55 year old lens.  Absolutely delighted with the results I obtain. It will only part from on my death bed :-) 

Do you need a "mint" lens? I mean I have a Rigid, the body of the lens is well used. Like big time. But the glass oh boy, it's like new. I got as a birthday gift from my wife and it did cost her like 600 bucks. It's so sharp it hurts. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We all love a bargain.  But buying quality "is long remembered, and price is soon forgot".

I always try to buy best in show, if possible.

Congratulations  reddot925....you'll love it forever.  I'm tempted for the same lens.

And as luigi said "... and when you'll have it... pictures welcome as Always :)"

all best..

Thank you all for your valuable comments, I managed to squeeze the dealer down a hundred dollars and already closed the sale.  Should be able to pick up the lens next week.  

Thanks again!

I also purchased this lens years ago in Tokyo. It was expensive. The dealer made me aware that lenses with serial Nrs. higher than 2.35 million were the last ones produced and sold mainly in the US. The lens head unscrews and is marked (scratched in) with the actual focal length followed by a "N".  Very often focal length is 51.9

I love the lens for its rendering, which is comparable to the chrome or black rigid 50mm Summicron (all second version). The 3rd version is a different lens with slightly

less central sharpness but better field coverage according to my memory of the slides I made with Kodachrome.

Teddy