Summicron Rigid V2 mint a good buy?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

My regular Leica shop has an expensive Rigid V2 at around 1700 USD which I thought was expensive, but then was told it's mint with original box which is quite rare (confirmed this info with other shops as well).

Two questions please, is it a good lens to keep long term, is this price too much if it's truly mint (I know the shop owner well so no reason to doubt this).

Thanks for any input!

There are two kinds of used lenses. Collector lenses and user lenses. I tend to go for user lenses with clean optics.

As far as the lens it's self, I love mine. I've had it for 8 years. It's useful in unique situations, like with copy stands and such. It's also just a good all around lens.

These might be questions of different perspectives:
If it should be in version II one of the rare early black Summicron, then it is offered so cheap that one might think of a fake.
For photographing I would rather save this money as the basis for a far superior Apo-Summicron.
Edited by mnutzer

It's a silver lens, later serial number so with newer coatings and dual scale (feel and meters).

I don't really need it but since It ticks all the boxes, I'm thinking it would not lose much value and I'll get some enjoyment out of it as well.

But price seems high so want to confirm it with you guys in case someone has an idea what it should be worth.

Hello there.  For what it's worth in the condition described I would certainly buy it.  Had I not already got one which I bought at auction on Ebay some years back, paid over the odds (similar to the price you are quoting) out bid two others -  by £100 & £50- lens described as 97% mint, which it was.  Never regretted it.  Love it.

@plaidshirts yes correct, you got a price that's not what it's selling at dealers or even ebay, congratulations!

Thank you!

I actually got it on eBay.

I had been looking for a long time and this package seemed to be the right one.

The M3 is a SS with SN 1.1mil+ as well.

The best deals will be found from private sellers that want to sell the whole bundle, not individual pieces.

I've accumulated quite a collection of lenses and bodies (not all Leica) that way.

Good luck!

Edited by plaidshirts

Thank you @plaidshirts 

Good technique, will be trying that out!

Even if you don't need the body or other accessories, you can always sell it back on eBay for even bigger net savings.

The seller even threw in some vintage Leitz filters that wasn't even mentioned in the description.

Found a pic of it that I took shortly after purchasing it..   so sexy too!  I would expect it to increase in value over the years, not that I would ever part with it.  Having found  the photo I see I purchased it november 2011

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oh,  A further pic to reassure you of the quality of the lens.  Others on the site I'm sure could proved even better examples.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Caveat emptor.

I purchased a "mint" Rigid from a known vendor in the US several years back; had focusing issues and sent it to another well-known Leica repair shop. I was informed that major adjustments were needed (and not quite perfect) because the very clean front end optics were from a different lens. He further told me that unscrupulous sellers from "Asia" (I'll let you guess where) were mixing and matching old Rigids and reselling them as 'mint'. 

Recall that the soft front element is its weakest point and finding one unscathed isn't easy.

Hello all,

My regular Leica shop has an expensive Rigid V2 at around 1700 USD which I thought was expensive, but then was told it's mint with original box which is quite rare (confirmed this info with other shops as well).

Two questions please, is it a good lens to keep long term, is this price too much if it's truly mint (I know the shop owner well so no reason to doubt this).

Thanks for any input!

Me too find the price a bit on the high side...even if the original box is undoubtly an addon value (the original hood, if present, would mean another good added value); anyway, if you are in direct relation with the seller, this is also an addon value by itself : youcan inspect with care : remove the lenshead for better inspection of glass... check with care the helicoid movement of the focus unit... and check also the matching of the s/n number on front ring and onto the focus unit (in late items is a clear White Painted engraving very well visible).

The Summicrons of that age were REALLY well built, and it's an excellent performer which, well kept, will Always have a good evaluation.

Edited by luigi bertolotti