M10 loosing files on SD Card when you "Delete Single" -- Don't!

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Occasionally, I've found myself shooting without removing the lens cap.  On Fuji X cameras, the bounding frame would not appear in the OVF in such a case and you can't shoot. Leica will go ahead and produce a Malevich, and then proceed with noise reduction countdown.  The natural reaction to it is to press MENU and "Delete single" -- Don't!

I've found ranges of deleted shots after that.  Leica does not ask for OK after you "Delete Single".  A delay will apparently cause it to delete multiple shots without confirmation.

Either that, or it just fails to record files onto the camera sometimes.  I found that it also hangs sometimes, showing no media or some other terrifying info.  Removing the battery cured that and most shots were there, but I've lost dozens of frames around those occasions.  Most worryingly, it looked like when I inserted a new card, sometimes it took a long time to figure out what to do with it, so the first dozen or so frames were lost as well.  I'm using 32GB Class 10 SanDisks (90mb/s) cards.

The empty files are showing as filename.DNG and as a question mark in thumb view.

My conclusions:

-- never delete anything in camera

-- replace the battery around 6c warning (although they recommend depleting a new battery completely and overcharging 4-5 times to achieve its maximum running time)

-- format the SD in camera first thing, and check the first shot did write through

-- review what you have with Play=>wheel left (small thumbs) and page through to make sure you don't have the dreaded ?s

This is my first Leica but I've already seen threads about preferable SD cards...  Wonder what works for folks on M10, and whether the above is confirmed by others!

Cheers,

A+

Edited by setuporg

I delete images all the time in camera and have never deleted the wrong image...and have not once experienced any of these issues.

Id suggest you try using a different type card. Refer to the card compatibility thread.

Im using Lexar 32GB UHS-II 2000x cards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have, a couple of times. But it was an ergonomic issue, not electronic. I just accidentally, when in the delete menu, pressed both the center "info/set/OK" button AND the "<" button at the same time. Which deleted a picture, moved back one, and deleted that one also. (OK, OK, I have pudgy thumbs! ;) ). Not a serious issue, though, since usually I never delete pictures in the camera except under very controlled circumstances (i.e. sitting quietly on a cafe seat after the shooting has ended).

On a side note: with the M9, an accidental time exposure could be aborted by simply turning the camera off and then on again while the shutter was open. No image file recorded, nothing that needed deleting. As I recall, that was something added in later firmware versions, by request. A great time-saver.

The M10 doesn't do that any more - it completes and saves the black/blank frame. Maybe an item for the firmware request page?

• Like 2

I delete images all the time in camera and have never deleted the wrong image...and have not once experienced any of these issues.

Id suggest you try using a different type card. Refer to the card compatibility thread.

Im using Lexar 32GB UHS-II 2000x cards

+1 using Lexar 16GB SD HC II 10 1000x cards, Samsung 16GB 8 SD HC,16GB Sandisk Extreme SD HC I 10, Sandisk 16GB Extreme Plis 10,Samsung 64GB PRO SD XC I 10

It would be nice if Leica's firmware would simply not enable a shutter release if the exposure was metered to be below the boundary conditions of the camera: below the metering range of the widest aperture of the coded lens. There could always be a mode to defeat this for those photographing latent images in the dark but it would avoid the 99% of users who simply want to avoid shooting with the lens cap on! Count me one of the 99%!  The camera could even be programmed to emit a warning 'remove the lens cap, dude' beep!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ummm - the M10 does this.

In A mode - lens cap on, the meter LEDs flash a warning - alternating between " 1 2 5 " and " >  " "

In other words - "It's so dark, you are about to get an exposure exceeding 125 seconds - dude!"

In M mode - the ">" indicator flashes if you are underexposing at your chosen shutter speed.

• Haha 1

Ummm - the M10 does this.

In A mode - lens cap on, the meter LEDs flash a warning - alternating between " 1 2 5 " and " >  " "

In other words - "It's so dark, you are about to get an exposure exceeding 125 seconds - dude!"

In M mode - the ">" indicator flashes if you are underexposing at your chosen shutter speed.

Why even bother with a lens cap?

• Like 1

It would be nice if Leica's firmware would simply not enable a shutter release if the exposure was metered to be below the boundary conditions of the camera: below the metering range of the widest aperture of the coded lens. There could always be a mode to defeat this for those photographing latent images in the dark but it would avoid the 99% of users who simply want to avoid shooting with the lens cap on! Count me one of the 99%!  The camera could even be programmed to emit a warning 'remove the lens cap, dude' beep!

That would be counterproductive. Firstly the user might want to underexpose deliberately, or needs the shot regardless of bad exposure, secondly, over the years Leica meters have proved to give mostly accurate readings with metering ranges moderately exceeded. As for lens caps, screw in a protective filter and keep your cap at home. You won't forget to remove it and you won't lose it (these things are crazily expensive).