Sharpest wide angle

Csacwp

All of this said, my vote for the most beautifully rendering (and still very crisp and contrasty) wide-angle would be the Elmarit 24mm ASPH.

^_^ To confuse the matter, there is something uniquely elegant about the very fine rendering of the original version 28mm Summicron ASPH, if you can get a fine piece (alert that there is large sample variation with this lens for some reason).

Hi

I just bought an Elmarit-M 24 asph... and I could not agree more!

I also own a Elmarit-M 21 asph, a Elmarit-M 28 and a Cron 28 asph. And I find the 24 and the Cron 28 to be the absolutely nicest overall with that sharp, but still smooth rendering. PS: one comment though is that the 24 is surprisingly soft in the corners wide open, but also sharpens up extremely rapid when stopped down.

Regards, Stein

Edited by Stein K S

When it comes to SEM 21 vs Elmar 24 sharpness I thought the Elmar might had a tiny, tiny advantage over SEM 21. But you probably will not see the difference. Those two lenses are probably Leica's sharpest wideangles. My choice was SEM 21, as those extra 3mm makes a big difference in landscapes. In addition, Elmar 24mm and SEM 21 offer 9 aperture blades which make more beautiful and crisper sunstars than any of the 28mm lenses Leica offers. To some that may not matter, but to me it mattered.

That said, for OP, I have a SEM 21 for sale if you are interested ;-)

• Like 1

I obviously have some technical challenges... In my post #22 I tried to Quote pgwhites post #10... But the Quote turns up as regular text in my post and not as something said by pgwhite in post #10. And this will then easily be misunderstood. Sorry! And what did I do wrong?

Regards, Stein

I obviously have some technical challenges... In my post #22 I tried to Quote pgwhites post #10... But the Quote turns up as regular text in my post and not as something said by pgwhite in post #10. And this will then easily be misunderstood. Sorry! And what did I do wrong?

Regards, Stein

You first click on the button saying "Quote" just underneath the post you want to quote; you then write your reply in the part of the page with the caption "Reply to this topic", taking care to enter the text below the grey box containing the quoted post.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You first click on the button saying "Quote" just underneath the post you want to quote; you then write your reply in the part of the page with the caption "Reply to this topic", taking care to enter the text below the grey box containing the quoted post.

Thanks! ;-)

• Like 1

No mention of the 24 Summilux in this thread yet, so here we go. I continue to be astounded by the sharpness of mine. It is a gorgeous lens which I mainly use for landscapes, but also has the advantage of that 1.4 for extra-special depth of field playing about.

Prior to the 24 Lux I had a 28 Elmarit which was super, but replaced that with a 28 Summicron which was even better - a fantastic lens for sure. I found myself needing a bit more width which is why I went for the 24 Lux (plus I came into a bit of cash). The 24 Lux is a bit on the large size, and heavier than the 28 Cron, but IMHO it's worth it. A fantastic lens.

Edited by Tobers

What do you like to shoot with a wide angle? The 21 SEM is the sharpest lens I've ever owned, but it's best for architecture and street photography where you really have to get into someone's face to fill the frame. The 35 Summicron Asph is very marginally less sharper, but is what I use most of the time because I'm used to that focal length. The 24 Elmarit Asph is about its equivalent for close work. On both a MM and film, all three give you fine results. If you shoot a lot stopped down to f/8 or f/11, it comes down to cost, quality of construction, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you like to shoot with a wide angle? The 21 SEM is the sharpest lens I've ever owned, but it's best for architecture and street photography where you really have to get into someone's face to fill the frame. The 35 Summicron Asph is very marginally less sharper, but is what I use most of the time because I'm used to that focal length. The 24 Elmarit Asph is about its equivalent for close work. On both a MM and film, all three give you fine results. If you shoot a lot stopped down to f/8 or f/11, it comes down to cost, quality of construction, etc.

+1 . 

When I want really sharp I use the SEM 21. The  Elmarit-M24 asph is not as sharp, but it works different and I like that. The summicron 35 mm asph doesn't look as sharp,also because of it's focal lenght which forces you to have a higher shutter speed to begin with, giving you motion unsharpness more quickly. 

• Like 1

Here is a snapshot taken during my morning walk with a 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH, possibly my sharpest WA. Photo is full frame from an M-9. The Black Faced Vultures on the cross are clearly discernible under magnification.  Regards, Ron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ronazle