What's so good about M10?

Olsen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a question, probably a stupid one. 

Presumably the 90mm Summicron AA will be better on an M240 cropped to 200mm than the best 200mm (FF equivalent) on a MFT, and also the M 135mm Apo-Telyt will be better cropped to 300mm than the best 300mm (FF equivalent) on a MFT.

What makes you think that is the case? The M240 first of all would need an 80 MP sensor to get equivalent results cropped, and then there is the question, which lens has the better resolution - the recent mFT lenses are amazing in this respect.

So at which FF equivalent focal length do you get better results from MFT compared to a cropped M 135mm Apo-Telyt?

Basically everything significantly beyond 135mm.

(all this ignoring AF, IBIS, size etc).

AF can be very nice, IBIS can make quite a difference for image quality, depending on the situation.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

well, the GH5 EVF is at least as good as the much-lauded SL one, and that camera made some M users switch platform...

"... at least as good ..."?

GH5 evf - 3.66mpixels

SL evf - 4.4mpixels

Perhaps "almost as good" might be more accurate.

Edit - GX8 evf - 2.36mpixel oled

A7 evf - 2.4mpixel oled

Visoflex 020 - 2.4mpixels

X1D - 2.36mpixels

Edited by IkarusJohn

3.66 MP OLED is pretty good, compared to LCD. Even the GX8 comes close to the SL - yes, I have tried them side by side.

As always, it is not just about resolution. Refresh rate, contrast ratio, etc. are more important.

All true, but the facts do paint a somewhat different picture. I agree refresh rate is probably more important than pixels, but the SL refresh rate seems to match the quality of the image.

As a person who defended the EVF2 released with the M(240) against the evidence, I take your comments with more than a grain of salt. I should add that the relevance of the comparison is of passing relevance at best - I see little point in comparing mFT with 35mm, unless your interest is primarily video.

What is refreshing about the M10 is that it is an updated rangefinder camera, which has always been about stills photography. The M10 keeps that function up to date, and technologically as good as it can be, for its purpose. I don't agree that removing a feature that was offered only on the M(240) was a retrograde step - there was much about the M(240) that was retrograde ...

I didn't "defend it".

I called it "adequate for purpose" and "probably the best at the time the camera was designed" and I stand by those words. The M10 EVF will be hammered in the forum towards the end of the production run.

• Like 2

Oh no, Jaap. You're much too modest! You defended it far more vigorously than that!

And here you go again playing fast and loose with the facts. The EVF2 was panned from the start; reinforced when Olympus' EVF4 wouldn't work with the M(240) processor. We didn't need to wait for the end of the production run for the EVF2 to be "hammered", despite your enthusiasm for it.

Just another one of your little tricks, eh Jaap?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No - it was - and is- an EVF that works just fine within its restrictions, and you are twisting the  facts. Direct me to a post with a "vigorous defense"...

The critique of the thing did indeed start after the EVF4 came out. Just wait until an EVF comes out that performs better than the M10 one, which already drew comments for being behind the SL.

• Like 1

What so good about M10 that it can motivate me to buy it?  Without video capability.

​Let me hear from users with experience with both M (240) and M10.  How do they compare?

Everything about it. It's such a major upgrade compared to my M-P 240... 

Better color rendition, better ISO, the ISO dial, the screen, the button layout, the size... it's awesome.