Leica Q SD slot problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm a new Q owner. I just got mine, a "mint-condition used" from B & H.

I charged the battery and inserted the SD card... and couldn't! 

It won't go all the way down for a latch/click sound... It bounces right back with a springy-sound.

I thought maybe I wasn't pushing it hard enough, and I did give more pressure, but I was afraid I'd break something.

I've tried with 4 different cards and none worked.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Could it be a defect, or an user error??

I emailed B & H but they're on vacation until mid-next week. 

I was hoping to take it to my vacation next week :(

Any suggestions/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Lits.

Probably a daft question, but is it the right way round - gold contacts in first and facing away from the battery?

+1. The card correct position has always seemed backwards for me, but once I got over that, I've had no problems. The label on the card faces towards the front of the camera.

This comment is not meant to insult you. Just trying to help. You're likely inserting them correctly. You might try looking with a flashlight into the SD compartment to check for a foreign object somehow stuck in there. Good luck.

Edited by Infiniumguy

I think I see something latched down under the pins there... I can't get to it :( 

I'm so sad and mad that the used department didn't test it before selling it as "mint."

What do you think I should do? I guess I have to wait until they reopen next week?

I think I see something latched down under the pins there... I can't get to it :(

I'm so sad and mad that the used department didn't test it before selling it as "mint."

What do you think I should do? I guess I have to wait until they reopen next week?

Have you tried blasting some compressed air in the slot? Might be worth a try. Otherwise B&H needs to make good on their 'mint condition' rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often use a cheap otoscope to look into small places. It's lighted and mine is 5X magnification. Works great.

I bought mine from Amazon for around $40. Dr. Mom LED pocket otoscope $39.95.

Edited by Infiniumguy

Thank you all so much for your ideas!! I'm happy to know I'm not the only one thinks B&H should take care of this.

I started dig in a little bit... then I stopped. It was a huge investment (to me) and I certainly don't want to make it worse.

I'll contact them as soon as they're back in business next Wednesday. :( It sucks to wait... looking at my Q and not being able to use it.

(btw I'm surprised it doesn't allow to shoot without a memory card. No internal memory, eh?)

Thanks again!!

A quick thought: B&H has a very good return policy.  

Buy from another source if you must have a Q for your trip and plan on returning the one you had purchased to B&H.

Good luck.

Thanks, I started a return procedure for an exchange, which may or may not happen because it's an used item. It was a good deal, and I'm not sure if I can afford it without that kind of a deal. 

:) Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks, I started a return procedure for an exchange, which may or may not happen because it's an used item. It was a good deal, and I'm not sure if I can afford it without that kind of a deal.

:) Thanks for your thoughts!

B&H is one of the premier camera stores in the world. I have to believe they'll make this right for you. Perhaps repairing your camera since you bought it used. I certainly would insist on that and not hesitate to escalate to a higher level manager if necessary. Please let us know how this unfolds. Good luck.

• Like 1

B&H is one of the premier camera stores in the world. I have to believe they'll make this right for you. Perhaps repairing your camera since you bought it used. I certainly would insist on that and not hesitate to escalate to a higher level manager if necessary. Please let us know how this unfolds. Good luck.

+1 on this...i've bought a lot of gear from B&H and they have never wavierd on their customer service. 

• Like 1

I just spoke with the used department, and I'm having them pay for repairing it. 4 to 6 weeks! The alternative they offered was to give me $50 discount on the new one. (-_-;) Still pretty disappointed by their QA before listing. Oh well.

Thanks again for your advice!!