leica "Bellows II" locking knob not locking bellows

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...The little knob on the left fixes the "Kompendium" - ...

Good heavens! There I went "locking" the lens carrier all the time when the little knob did nothing of the sort! Now I wonder how I ever came to believe that it did. :D

Thanks for making this clear and apologies to everyone for causing any confusion.

Good heavens! There I went "locking" the lens carrier all the time when the little knob did nothing of the sort! Now I wonder how I ever came to believe that it did. :D

Thanks for making this clear and apologies to everyone for causing any confusion.

You are certainly not alone, I too thought that the little knob was intended to lock  the lens carrier but as it did not I assumed that my bellows II was malfunctioning. However when I acquired a Kompedium and discovered the true function of the little knob was to lock the position of the Kompendium I realised that my bellows was working perfectly as its designers intended.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Then, what I thought was a locking knob on the left is not a locking knob for the bellows extension but for the Kompendium/Matte Box. Thank you!!

The Bellows II I acquired looks pristine, but if I angle it up short of half way (so less than 45 degrees), or down almost to vertical (90 degrees), the weight of an Elmar 135mm f4 moves the bellows.  Is this to be expected? That provides limitations, for example on a camera stand.

Also Luigi, what sort of adapter do you use for the Summarex? My Summarex does not fit on my 16590n adapter. There must be another that is not so deep.

Hello Inglis,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is it possible that there is some type of oil or other lubricant that is somewhere in the rack teeth or/& on the rack or other mechanism? Or on any other parts that move?

Generally, mechanisms of this type require NO oil or other type of lubricant.

Or if they do (Usually only rarely & then only in specific spots.) the amounts usually required (IF required.) are tiny. And then: Usually only tiny amounts in bearings.

If there is some sort of oil or other type of lubricant on the rack teeth or elsewhere it can be removed with a combination of a soft (Cotton) cloth or/& Q-tips. Please remember to remove all lint or other residue after removing the oil or other lubricant.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 2

The number of the adapter for attaching M-mount lenses to the bellows is 16596. For a Summarex you need a screw-to-M-mount adapter as well. It works but as Luigi already said this is no ideal setting for the bellows. Attaching the lens heads of 65, 90 125 or 135 mm is the best way to use it...

Speaking of lenses around 100mm on the Bellows II, I achieved pleasant results with this one...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

an enlarger lens, as new, that I found by pure chance looking at the display window of an unknown little shop, walking in a town unknown to me (Bruxelles) where I went for a quick 2 day business trip...

(the M Mount ring is the quoted 16596)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the cleaning suggestion. Will try.

Nice enlarging lens!

This world of the visoflex and bellows is a new world for me. I like taking slides even though I also use a digital camera. So now thinking of taking an M3 with some lenses that I can use while in Europe this summer with a Visoflex. 

I have learned so much from so many of you on different threads. Thank you so much!

• 3 years later...
On 4/11/2017 at 7:47 AM, UliWer said:

Attached you find a copy of a brochure about the Bellows II from February 1966 ( "Liste 12-29d" in German):

Balgengerät_II_II_66.pdf 338.35 kB · 25 downloads

The entry on the last page which was blackened out since Leitz didn't deliver it anymore was about the case for the bellows and addenda (No. 14621 F) which was 66,-DM at its time. 

Personally, I cannot download this PDF, which is a pity :(

• 4 weeks later...

This is the system I use to make the Kompendium's locking system, work as a brake for focus.
See the attached photos.
It consists of two brass tubes with an external diameter of 5mm and an internal diameter of 4mm and 155mm in length, crossed by an M4 metric threaded rod (approx 175mm).
The threaded rods are bolted to a piece of aluminum (40 x 30 x 3mm) with two 23mm spaced M4 threaded holes. 
The aluminum part has a 3.25mm hole centered 21mm from the axis of the previous ones. It is used to screw it to the bellows by means of an M3 threaded hole in the center of the rail.
The free end of the rods are attached to a small 1mm thick aluminum sheet and 4mm holes 23mm apart.

Notes: -It can be done with a single tube.
- the free end of the rods may not be attached one to each other.
- The Visoflex is placed without problems, but not a camera like the M10, for which the system would have to be disassembled. This disassembly would be facilitated by replacing the self-locking nuts on the lens side of the rod(s) with a wing nut.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!