Leica 75mm Noctilux to be realised in 2017...

w44neg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With an EVF, no lens is difficult anymore. That's the theory behind EVF

That depends on what you shoot. The 75mm is a traditional portrait lens. I have no trouble focusing it with a rangefinder, but depending on how close you are, it becomes a challenge to decide which eye you want in focus. Imho, what makes the 50mm Noctilux so special is that it is a normal lens with an extremely wide aperture. This gives the photographs an illusion of a bigger format. People are more used to long lens photographs with shallow depth of field.

• Like 2

Hello Everybody,

The difference between an aperture of 1.0 and an aperture of 0.95 is 1/7th of a stop. The choice of 0.95 by Leica for a 50mm lens may have had more to do with Canon's previously manufactured 0.95 offering than with any increase in discernible lens speed.

Or perhaps it was built to break a barrier: The equivalent to someone running faster than, not just at or to, a 4 minute mile.

Because 1/7th of a stop is not that optically significant.

1.25 is somewhat different though because: 1.25 is 1/3 of a stop faster than 1.4.

Just as 3.5 is 1/3 of a stop faster than 4.0.

1/3 of a stop is the basis for the DIN film speed numbers which were chosen because: It was determined that: 1/3 of a stop was the finest gradient that most people could differentiate: When they were looking for discernible differences in the effects of different amounts of exposure: When they were looking at black & white negatives.

This is 1 of the reasons that DIN film speed numbers can be useful. Altho they are, unfortunately, not as universally included or considered as frequently, as they have been previously.

Choosing 1.25 may be a statement that: The lens is discernibly faster than a lens with an aperture of 1.4.

Just as: Calling it a Noctilux may mean that the dividing line between Summilux & Noctilux is: A lens discernibly faster than F1.4

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 10

That depends on what you shoot. The 75mm is a traditional portrait lens. I have no trouble focusing it with a rangefinder, but depending on how close you are, it becomes a challenge to decide which eye you want in focus. Imho, what makes the 50mm Noctilux so special is that it is a normal lens with an extremely wide aperture. This gives the photographs an illusion of a bigger format. People are more used to long lens photographs with shallow depth of field.

I could agree, except that 75mm is hardly long.

When I go on a trip and bring only 2 or 3 lenses (28,35,50), I just can't tell which lens shot what.

Often a 28 shot can be mistaken for a 50mm shot, and can always be mistaken for a 35.

50 vs 75 is too close for any difference on screen or on print. Your eye is maybe more trained than mine to detect differences.

• Like 2

This is a snap in my backyard with the Noctilux a few weeks ago testing an SL. It has the feel of a normal lens but with very shallow depth of field, which I find reminiscent of a dreamy lens on 4x5 like an old kodak Aero-Ektar for example. In order to capture the same scene with my 75lux, I would have had to back up considerably, and the photograph would have been completely different. I find that 50mm is at the cusp of being a participant vs. an observer if this makes sense, which is why my most used focal length is actually 35mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

This is a snap in my backyard with the Noctilux a few weeks ago testing an SL. It has the feel of a normal lens but with very shallow depth of field, which I find reminiscent of a dreamy lens on 4x5 like an old kodak Aero-Ektar for example. In order to capture the same scene with my 75lux, I would have had to back up considerably, and the photograph would have been completely different. I find that 50mm is at the cusp of being a participant vs. an observer if this makes sense, which is why my most used focal length is actually 35mm.

Yes but the Aero Ektar is the equivalent of 50mm in 35mm format so it's only normal that a 50mm lens reminds you of a 50mm lens...

Yes but the Aero Ektar is the equivalent of 50mm in 35mm format so it's only normal that a 50mm lens reminds you of a 50mm lens...

Exactly my point. It is a normal angle of view with shallow depth of field. And I can tell what a 50mm looks like and so can you. I shoot 95% of all my photographs between 35mm and 50mm and I know exactly what my frame is like. As a matter of fact, with my .72 finder glasses and since I wear glasses, it is very hard for me to see the frame lines. I frame from the bottom edge and know instinctively where the rest falls with these two. When I shoot 75mm, I have to remind myself to look at the frame lines. It is a noticeable difference between normal and short tele.

The Aero Ektar was designed for work at infinity. For any scaled distance closer, it just sucks. And it should.

The 50mm f1 is similarly optimized for medium distances. I would say that from 12ft. on, it sings, closer it is very soft. I would expect the 75 to be more of a portrait lens for closer distances. Nevertheless, beautiful work has been done with the Noctilux f1 up close, and the same with the Aero Ektar. Do a flickr search.

Edited by BerndReini

Maybe it has been made 1.25 and not 0.95 to make it not too heavy and wide

Indeed a 75/0.95 would be huge i guess and would block the viewfinder a lot. Here an Elcan 90/1:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

The difference between an aperture of 1.0 and an aperture of 0.95 is 1/7th of a stop. The choice of 0.95 by Leica for a 50mm lens may have had more to do with Canon's previously manufactured 0.95 offering than with any increase in discernible lens speed.

Or perhaps it was built to break a barrier: The equivalent to someone running faster than, not just at or to, a 4 minute mile.

Because 1/7th of a stop is not that optically significant.

1.25 is somewhat different though because: 1.25 is 1/3 of a stop faster than 1.4.

Just as 3.5 is 1/3 of a stop faster than 4.0.

1/3 of a stop is the basis for the DIN film speed numbers which were chosen because: It was determined that: 1/3 of a stop was the finest gradient that most people could differentiate: When they were looking for discernible differences in the effects of different amounts of exposure: When they were looking at black & white negatives.

This is 1 of the reasons that DIN film speed numbers can be useful. Altho they are, unfortunately, not as universally included or considered as frequently, as they have been previously.

Choosing 1.25 may be a statement that: The lens is discernibly faster than a lens with an aperture of 1.4.

Just as: Calling it a Noctilux may mean that the dividing line between Summilux & Noctilux is: A lens discernibly faster than F1.4

Best Regards,

Michael

So a name like Summissimolux would have been better than Noctilux Edited by otto.f

[...] and the same with the Aero Ektar. Do a flickr search.

I have had three Aero Ektars, one of which was new, in the camera in original, never opened military packing. I know the lens.

• Like 2

Also the RF windows, so not only would you not be able to frame, but it'd be out of focus too!

It will obviously come with a Perovid periscoped goggles attachment for RF shooters ..... 

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Wow, totally surprised with this rumour. It's going to be awesome. Then again, it seems this lens designed to be used with EVF, not rangefinder. I imagine focusing with 75mm f/1.25 by OVF is going to be extremely difficult wide open.

Too bad I will never be able to afford it, my guess It's going to be 7500-10000 €...

It will be easy peasy on the SL :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yep. This is what the SL is for. The lens should only be for the SL, that way it can be huge and expensive!

why does it need to be huge and expensive.......... you obviously have big arms and lots of money

The precedent for name mashing has already been set ;)  Nocticron ! 

I don't think they dare to name it like that! But that they dared to name the successor of the M9 an M240...

• Like 1