Leica 75mm Noctilux to be realised in 2017...

w44neg

Awesome.  It's masterpieces like this that endears Leica to me so much.

Funny. It's irrational enthusiasm for the unproven that disturbs me so much.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Funny. It's irrational enthusiasm for the unproven that disturbs me so much.

Correction: even Proven bad performance, in the Leica world, is mistaken for excellency.

The Leica magic is strong. There's nothing that can be done, no rational thinking can overcone the Leica magic.

You know that 40mm summilux asph? Neither do I. But it is a true masterpiece. Corner sharpness is unbelievable. And if it happens to be soft it's also OK!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Correction: even Proven bad performance, in the Leica world, is mistaken for excellency.

The Leica magic is strong. There's nothing that can be done, no rational thinking can overcone the Leica magic.

You know that 40mm summilux asph? Neither do I. But it is a true masterpiece. Corner sharpness is unbelievable. And if it happens to be soft it's also OK!

I am not saying you are wrong about this, but it is a very cynical comment to make. 

• Like 1

Wow, totally surprised with this rumour. It's going to be awesome. Then again, it seems this lens designed to be used with EVF, not rangefinder. I imagine focusing with 75mm f/1.25 by OVF is going to be extremely difficult wide open.

Too bad I will never be able to afford it, my guess It's going to be 7500-10000 €...

Edited by Tmuussoni

I don't believe this story until it's officially announced or presented. Maybe it's going to be an S or SL lens ...

What I'd like to see was an Apo-Summilux-M 75 mm 1:1.4 Asph ... but alas, no hint, rumour, or indication of such a treat yet :(

I am not saying you are wrong about this, but it is a very cynical comment to make.

I agree it may be cynical. But at the same time it is so real that even I am confused wether I'd like the lens to be tack sharp or full of aberrarions.

It's somehow like eating a delicious chinese soup and not caring if it's made with dog and rat meat because it just tastes so good. That's the magic of tasty chinese soups.

f/1.25 is just bizarre. I would have thought they'd just round it down to f/1.2. Then again maybe there is so much room for all the naming around the front they needed the extra significant figure to take up space?

What's wrong with a 1.4/75? Is Karbe afraid of going head to head with Mandlers masterpiece? I suppose by opening it up 1/4 of a stop he can avoid comparisons as his is brighter?

Edited by michaelwj

I think the 1.25 is because Lecia wants to be able to pound their chest and say they did something that no one else ever did and they are smarter and better... why else would they have done 0.95 vs. 1.0... just my 2 cents...

Except that Canon has a 85 1.2 and a 60 year old 0.95.

No "chest banging". It's simply called innovation.

And if it's to be called Noctilux, it has to be in the 1.2 range or below. Basic stuff