Off camera HSS with Priolite?

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anybody tried the Priolite flash with their Leica M240?

I just came across an article on the Fstoppers website (https://fstoppers.com/originals/any-speed-any-power-fstoppers-reviews-priolite-hot-sync-strobes-171780) and it does mention HSS with Leica. A bit of research turned up a cached webpage where it does mention Leica - https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4xPoHlZDhpYJ:http://priolite.lighting/control-a-hot-sync-leica/%2BPriolite+leica&client=firefox-b&hl=en&ct=clnk but I cannot fine a current webpage  where they mention Leica. I also have sent an email to Priolite for clafaration and I am waiting for a response.

So, has anybody an experence with this flash and does it work for off camera HSS?

Update: I just found this page: http://priolite.lighting/control-a-hot-sync-leica/

And it looks like YES!!! However, the transmitter has not been released yet. There's always a 'gotya'...

Edited by jto555

Priolite`s solution does not support TTL HSS nor any kind of automatic like the SF 64 does. They reduce the GN by increasing the frequency of flashes. This works with nearly every camera supporting dump studio flashes. Other manufacturers offer the same offer.

I´m still using Priolites, I like the gear, but in this case they`re telling us a marketing bubble...

Edited by Alo Ako

Priolite`s solution does not support TTL HSS nor any kind of automatic like the SF 64 does. They reduce the GN by increasing the frequency of flashes. This works with nearly every camera supporting dump studio flashes. Other manufacturers offer the same offer.

I´m still using Priolites, I like the gear, but in this case they`re telling us a marketing bubble...

No they do not do TTL. However the SF64 does not do wireless ttl either. The Priolite (I understand) do not pulse the flash, they do a 'long burn' of 1/200 sec. So at 1/500 sec shutter speed you should get flash coverage during your exposer. But you will only get about 1/2 of the flash output for your exposer. With normal HSS the flashes is pulsed during the exposer, but for every stop extra in speed you lose about a stop in flash exposer. So it is about the same result in the end.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Doesn't the web site say that the flash duration is 1/200 second, thus covering the time it takes for the shutter slit to travel across the frame? I couldn't square this with freezing motion.

The only way to freeze the action is with shutter speed.

The only way to freeze the action is with shutter speed.

What about the flash duration of the light? Or is that considered shutter speed?

By lowering the power of the flash that gives a shorter flash duration ....better stopping power.

Isn't that how it works?

Edited by ECohen

Not when the flash is on for 1/200 sec to give time for the slit to cross the plane.

With a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec the exposure apparently takes 1/200 sec.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying ....

When using electronic flash. It doesn't matter what you set your cameras shutter at, as long as the shutter is open long enough for the flash to complete/sync the exposure.....IE if your camera is set at 1/60 say with  2400 w/s studio strobes the flash duration is around 1/200th .....at 400/w/s its about 1/2500 . So it will stop the action better/faster at 1/6 power  than at full power...... I don't have the exact  # 's in front of me....and each brand of power pack and strobe tube are a little different  (small "pocket" strobes have even faster flash durations )

The strobe decides the shutter speed /stopping power.

As long as you have your camera set at a sufficient slow enough speed to accommodate the tubes flash duration.

The Leica M sync speed is 1/180th. Set your camera slower than that and the strobes "flash duration"  decides the "shutter speed"

Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly?

We have Harold Edgerton  the electrical engineer and photographer from MIT to thank for invention of stop-action, high-speed photography. He invented the strobe we use today.

Remember this photo?   http://theartreserve.com/harold-edgerton-milk-drop-coronet-1957/

Some of Eggerton's photographs had an exposure time of less than 1/10,000 of a second

.....the cameras shutter didn't matter, its all about the strobes stopping power.

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

What about the flash duration of the light? Or is that considered shutter speed?

By lowering the power of the flash that gives a shorter flash duration ....better stopping power.

Isn't that how it works?

Apperently, with the Priolite the flash duration is 1/200 no matter what the power setting. Most flashes, as you say, shorten the flash duration with lower power settings. With the unit as you pass 1/200 sec shutter speed think of the flash as a contunious light source. So to freeze action increase your shutter speed. So to shoot at 1/4000 sec, with the flash duration of 1/200 sec you are losing about 4 stops of the flash output but it should still sync. Mad, I know!

I do not work for/with the company, this is what I am getting from their website and it was confirmed by email. The company is a German company so maybe some of our German speakers could give them a call to verify it. They are at http://www.priolite.com and:

PRIOLITE GmbH

Gattinger Str. 7

97076 Würzburg

Fon: +49 (0) 931 207 00 00 0

Apperently, with the Priolite the flash duration is 1/200 no matter what the power setting. Most flashes, as you say, shorten the flash duration with lower power settings. With the unit as you pass 1/200 sec shutter speed think of the flash as a contunious light source. So to freeze action increase your shutter speed. So to shoot at 1/4000 sec, with the flash duration of 1/200 sec you are losing about 4 stops of the flash output but it should still sync. Mad, I know!

I do not work for/with the company, this is what I am getting from their website and it was confirmed by email. The company is a German company so maybe some of our German speakers could give them a call to verify it. They are at http://www.priolite.com and:

PRIOLITE GmbH

Gattinger Str. 7

97076 Würzburg

Fon: +49 (0) 931 207 00 00 0

I'm not sure how this technology works or how flash duration is different than other traditional studio strobes....or even why it matters. But these look like great versatile Monolights.....if battery operated is your goal.

An excerpt from the Manual says 1/15,000 .......to me that look like fun to play with

Various flash modes

The MB500 features 3 fl ash options: Xenon flash,

LED flash and a combination of Xenon with LED flash.

The usual Xenon flash light can be regulated within 5

f-stops between 5 and 10 factor in 1/10 increments

of an f-stop. The LED array can be used as a modeling

light as well as a fl ash light. The fl ash light features an

extreme short flash duration about approx. 1/15,000

seconds.

Edited by ECohen

Have a look at the "HotSync" versions. On those the flash duration is 1/200 and they sync with the M all the way up to 1/4000 sec. There are two versions, a 500 watt sec and a 1000 watt sec.

http://www.priolite.com/en/products/details-priolite/items/id-01-0500-04-priolite-mbx-500-hotsync.html

Edited by jto555

jto555,  Curious.... What is the reason you are considering this brand of Monolight?
battery /size /price/ stopping power/quality of the light/cutting edge tech

In some fashion your Leica will work with every brand of Studio Strobe and Monolight on the market

What other brands have you considered? This one is cool but  strobe lighting choices with your camera or any camera are endless.

Yes, but this is the only unit that I have come across that will do of camera high speed sync. So far I have been using Godox ad360 and they work great wirelessly. But to open up on a bright day I have to use nd filters and sometimes I need a faster shutter speed than 1/180 with the flash.

Anybody know why that works, that the cameras sync speed doesn't matter? What in technology changed making this possible.?
......excuse my ignorance, my knowledge of modern strobe tech stopped in 2000

Yes, but this is the only unit that I have come across that will do of camera high speed sync. So far I have been using Godox ad360 and they work great wirelessly. But to open up on a bright day I have to use nd filters and sometimes I need a faster shutter speed than 1/180 with the flash.

"...that will do of camera high speed sync..."

e.g. Bowens XMT 500,  (they call it Super Synch) and many others....

Bowens XMT 500 - Compatible with Nikon, Canon and Sony only. Shortest flash duration is 1/10309s.

http://www.bowens.co.uk/xmt500

Jinbei HD II 600 - Looks like a great flash. However to use the Super Sync you need an on camera wireless trigger that will give HSS. Unfortunately there are none for Leica.

https://www.foto-mor...nsteuerung.html The site is in German so Google translate might have missed something important.

Many others - I'v looked and I have not found any others that will work with the Leica M

Anyway, I was just sharing a discovery that I found. If it is not the flash for you, no worries.

Edited by jto555