Leica 12504 Hood on new version Summicron (11673)?

Aktenschrank

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

does anybody know if the replacement vented metal hood 12504 that fitted the older Version V Summicron 35 will also fit the VI version (11673)? There´s a ring included with the newer version to cover the outward facing thread, my hope is that if you use this ring, the 12504 hood still fits. Anybody tried this (or is able to help out trying it)?

Many thanks for your help!

Ciao, 

Markus

Seems like nobody has tried it yet :) I´m going to buy one and report back just in case the question comes up again...   And in case you wonder why the hell I´d like to attach the 12504 hood instead of the new metal one that comes with the 11673 version... I don´t like the square hood design, and the "Overgaard" vented hood for the 11673 is currently sold out.

Edited by Aktenschrank

The 12504 is nice but it is expensive and offers little protection vs flare. I have no experience with the 35/2 asph v2 but its barrel seems larger than v1's at first glance. I may be wrong though and would be interested by your experience feedback even if i would keep the stock hood if i were you.

Edit: Even if it fits, there would be no grove to clip the hood on i guess so the little "claws" of the latter could damage the black coating of your lens. I would think twice before ordering the 12504 but it's just me.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

Hi, 

does anybody know if the replacement vented metal hood 12504 that fitted the older Version V Summicron 35 will also fit the VI version (11673)? There´s a ring included with the newer version to cover the outward facing thread, my hope is that if you use this ring, the 12504 hood still fits. Anybody tried this (or is able to help out trying it)?

The 12504 hood isn't likely to fit on the 11673 Summicron (and certainly not stay on) for the reason LCT has already given. I also agree with LCT that the round 12504 hood (which I own but no longer use) isn't very good anyway. If you have the lens for taking photos rather than posing, the supplied square hood will do the better job.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Thanks for your comments!

I´ll try it anyway and else wait for the Overgaard ones to become available again. I mainly see the hood as a protection for the front element, so protection against flare is not my main concern. The square hood is very long and makes the lens essentially as long as the 50 summilux (with retracted hood), however, since the hood is square the lens with the hood will not fit into the 50 summilux lens pouch (as my previous Zeiss 35 2.8 + vented hood did). Since I only own those two lenses I would love to be able to continue to be using only one pouch that fits both lenses (one of them is usually attached to the camera of course:)). Essentially the Summicron + hood would need to be roughly 4-5mm shorter than with the square hood.

And yes, I also think the square hood is simply ugly:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the 12504 hood with my 1972 Summilux 35 v2 and a similar design, vented 39mm screw in hood with my current series Summicron-M 50mm (purchased from seller "heavystar" on Ebay) even though the 50mm has a built-in slide-out lens hood. I think the screw-in tapered design does a better job of protecting the lens as well as providing flare protection. They both fit in the same tiny padded pouch (hood on, cap off) although the 'Lux 35 drops all the way in and the 'Cron 50 back cap is just snugged under the closing bead. 

Thanks again for all your help!

I´d like to avoid using a screw-in hood because I´m using screw-in ND filters a lot... The new version summicron has the outside screw thread, but the only vented/round hoods I could find that are actually made for it are the ones from Thorsten Overgaard. No luck on eBay so far, which is quite strange since I´d assume that he´s also probably sourcing them somewhere from China (this is just an assumption, I have no idea if it´s true!)

Edited by Aktenschrank

Two lens hoods 12504 with different inserted filters are used casually not only on Summilux 35 preaspherical, but also on Summicron 35 and sometimes even Summicron 2.0-50 and Elmar-M 2.8-50mm.

This allows the filters to be changed much quicker than first removing the lens hood, second unscrewing the wrong filter, third screwing in the correct filter, and fourth putting on the lens hood again.

Edited by mnutzer

Series VII filters are pretty large and not that easy to find out though. Also in practice i tend to remove the 12504 before unscrewing the halves for fear of dropping the filter which isn't retained anymore then. Now the slower system seems to be that of the current lens dues to the screw-in instead of clip-on hood. 

Series VII filters are pretty large and not that easy to find out though. Also in practice i tend to remove the 12504 before unscrewing the halves for fear of dropping the filter which isn't retained anymore then. Now the slower system seems to be that of the current lens dues to the screw-in instead of clip-on hood. 

Just as carefully Series VII filters will be changed and unnecessary changes are avoided by a second prepared 12504 lens hood, usually one filled with an UV / IR filter for the M8 and the other with an orange filter for black and white images.
Inside of the lens hood 12504 also fit slim filters with a diameter of 49mm, if they are inserted with the screw thread to the motif.

Would make as many 12504's as coloured filters for B&W ;) but i see what you mean and 49mm filters can be used instead of Series VII you're 100% right.

Oh no, that would increase the prices for used 12504 even more. :)
But two of them are pretty handy.

Ok, so to resolve this thread for future reference... It does (kind of) work. The 11673 version Summicron has an outer screw thread that is supposed to be used to screw in the square metal hood that it comes with. The 12504 Hood has some little claws inside, and those happily grip onto the outer screw thread of the 11673 Summicron. So when you remove the screw thread protection ring the 12504 hood is usable on the 11673 Summicron. I attached some pictures that hopefully illustrate what I described. 

However, I would assume that over time the claws on the 12504 will be damaging the thread on the lens. So I´d say it´s not a perfect fit.

Thanks again for your help and opinions!

Ciao, 

Markus

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

[...] However, I would assume that over time the claws on the 12504 will be damaging the thread on the lens. [...]

Over time or in case of bump to the hood. I don't intend to sound too negative but in such a case your mechanical protection could become dangerous for the external threading of the lens.

Edited by lct

I agree, I don´t think the 12504 will do the job as a mechanical protection properly without any damage to the lens (or the thread for that matter). I decided to order the Overgaard one that is actually made for this lens. A case of buyer "stubbornness" I guess. Could have done this from the start  :D

• Like 1