Choosing a 50mm: What made you decide?

LeicaBoss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to 'upgrade' my 70's 50mm Summilux. The obvious choice is to get a Summilux ASPH, but then there's the APO which is considered 'the best' and of course the Noctilux of which I really like the images I've seen. My cameras are M240 and M6. I have a 60s dual range 50mm I can use as 'backup'.

I guess more people had this dilemma. What made you decide which 50mm to buy?

About me: shooting mostly street and reportage (in varying light conditions), occasionally bands in bars / small venues and portrait. Love the 3D pop of Leica lenses. 

Summilux ASPH:

pro: least expensive, 1 stop faster than APO

con: I like the bokeh of the APO more

Summicron APO:

pro: 'the best', bokeh, size

con: 1 stop slower than the 'lux

Noctilux:

pro: love the extreme seperation / bokeh

con: size / weight / price

Edited by LeicaBoss
  • Like 1

Another disadvantage of the Noctilux is the long minimum focusing distance of 1 m. Very limiting! For me, that's the #1 reason—before size and weight—why this lens cannot be used as a general-purpose standard lens.

You should get the APO.

Your only APO con is one stop of light, whereas the lux your con was you like the APO better. One stop of light is no issue for your digital.

Why not keep the old Lux to go with the APO instead of the DR? Then you can have the extra stop on the M6 when needed?

(I understand that this will cost the most out of all the options except the Noctilux)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DR will not fit on dig cams.  Needs modification.

Lux is an extremely nice lens and heads above the older Lux,  APO is is better still.

If the camera RF is not calibrated properly,  you will not be pleased with either.

I even like my two 50 collapsible.  they render very nicely.

Old lux to new Lux is a big step.   New Lux to APO is smaller.

Edited by tobey bilek

Dear LeicaBoss,

IMO, Noctilux is too heavy and too big.  

Both Summilux Asph and APO Summicron are great lenses. If you compare those lenses shooting a resolution chart, the latter wins, but in real photography, the first shows a stronger character.

Summilux Asph is not as perfect at the APO Summicron, but it makes colors out of nothing.

To decide, you should rent both lenses for a couple of days.

Your question is what made me decide.

After having purchased and traded almost all Leica 50s, i kept only three of them.

1. Summilux Asph for its character. It seems to make his own colors even shooting a grey wall;

2. Summarit 50 f2,5, because it's a perfect mix of resolution, contrast and smooth bokeh. I prefer the summarit to the non APO Summicron

3. Elmar-M 50 (last version) because it has a very pleasant-classic rendering but with a modern contrast. I like this lens very much. 

Every time I see the APO Summicron at my Leica dealer, I'm temped to buy it, but it's too expensive.

Photography is a nice hobby, not my job

Hope this can help

Franco

Edited by Fgcm
  • Like 4

Sold my Summilux Asph two years ago. I thought Noctilux 0.95 and APO 50 are enough in 50 mm. The sale of the summilux I have regretted and I missed the lens all the time because of its rendering and the colors. Now I have ordered a new one. So I will have 3 lensens in 50 mm: 1.4/50 ASPH, APO 2.0/50 and 0.95/50  :o

Summilux 1.4/50 ASPH

• Like 4

Over 50 years in the 50mm range I've owned 2 Noctiluxes, one Summilux v1, a collapsible Summicron, a Summicron v4, a 50 Elmar-M, and finally an old collapsible LTM Elmar/3.5. I've talked in earlier posts about what I liked and disliked about each, and have finally sold all but the LTM Elmar/3.5, which I'm keeping because I finally got a Barnack screwmount body and it works so well there and is usable on my M2 and digital camera as well and I still have additional 50 lenses by other mfgrs for the Leicas too. If I was to get another - ever, it would probably be a rigid mount Summicron v2. In the end I just wanted older lenses to switch between bodies, and found the razor sharpness of more modern designs fantastic, but not my style...same with the Noctis. I think one needs to experiment and find his own comfort zone in rendition, ergonomics, and general usability, and it is nice that Leica has produced so many choices.

• Like 3

50mm ist not my favorite focal length; I sold my Summicron IV years ago.

But actually I have an Elmar 3,5/50 LTM (redscale) for use on my Leica IIIf, it is a very good performer on a digital sensor too - Surpise, surprise!

In addition I have a Zeiss C-Sonnar ZM 1,5/50mm, which is a great lens with a bokeh formidable :wub:

That's enough 50mm for me ...

Edited by cp995

Sold my Summilux Asph two years ago. I thought Noctilux 0.95 and APO 50 are enough in 50 mm. The sale of the summilux I have regretted and I missed the lens all the time because of its rendering and the colors. Now I have ordered a new one. So I will have 3 lensens in 50 mm: 1.4/50 ASPH, APO 2.0/50 and 0.95/50  :o

attachicon.gif201603418.jpg

Summilux 1.4/50 ASPH

So that's why you can't afford a decent car!  :D

• Like 1

I can compare 50/1.4 asph to 50/1.4 pre-asph lenses but 50/1.4 and 50/2 lenses are different beasts to me. F/1.4 lenses are made for photogs needing speed. If you do need f/1.4, because you shoot often indoor for instance, the 50/2 apo won't do it even if your M10 does clean 6400 iso which remains to be seen. I use my M lenses on a Sony A7s mod going up to 12800 iso the same way as my M240 does 3200 iso but its rendering is more grainy there anyway. All this to say that f/2 is not fast enough for low light photography to me and that you'll miss your excellent 50/1.4 pre-asph but YMMV. Now if you don't need f/1.4 that much, the 50/2 apo is certainly a superior camera. It does not have much character, or its character is that he has no character sort of. You may like that or not, it is a matter of taste as expected. Noctilux? No idea, too bulky a lens for me, not my cup of tea but again YMMV.

It looks like I'm one of the few but I prefer the Lux asph to the APO.  I shoot a lot of film and have made some great photos with the Lux.  The look was never quite as good with the APO.  Don't forget that the Lux asph is also an APO and FLE!  It is a big lense however.  

• Like 1

It looks like I'm one of the few but I prefer the Lux asph to the APO. I shoot a lot of film and have made some great photos with the Lux. The look was never quite as good with the APO. Don't forget that the Lux asph is also an APO and FLE! It is a big lense however.

This is the latest happy discovery in the leica world: the lux asph "is also apo, yayyy". And yet, there is no way to tell. Just another justification to justify unreasonable love for the Leica magic.

That's like eating kosher and then on the 6 o'clock news they tell you that you've always been served pork disguised as beef. You just couldn't tell from all the great taste (true story). APO beef. It always was APO but you didn't know. Tasty APO Beef.

I own the summilux asph and I don't like it compared to the older 50s. Totally lacks personality. Now it's APO you say? Suddenly I'm starting to love it...

Edited by NB23