Tele-extender for Tele-Elmarit?

jevidon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Tele-Elmarit 90mm f 2.8 II series. It's a good medium tele lens and it is very light weight which is why I like it. In looking through my copy of Leica Pocket Book 8th ed., I noticed that the lens was designed as a compact tele lens to which a 1.5X tele-extender could be added making it a 135mm f 54.6 lens. However I could find little about this extender. There are a lot of R extenders about, but no 1.5X M extenders. I ran across a picture of the extender and lens on the German language Leica Forum, and I include it for reference.

Does anyone know anything about this rare optic and perhaps where I might find one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

See - http://www.pebbleplace.com/reviews/rangefinder/komura_2x/index.html.  "In the 1980's Leica (Leitz at the time) developed a 1.5x tele-converter called the Leitz Extender-M 1.5x #11238. This Extender-M was never sold. Supposedly 1000 units were made and subsequently destroyed. And supposedly ~10 of these units made into the general population. The only thing I know for sure is that they are VERY EXPENSIVE and usually are only sold at auctions (like Westlicht) with closing prices of $2,000 USD and up." I found one expired auction listing with a starting bid of €2,000 and an estimate of €4,000 – €4,500!

Komura?

I dropped into my local Leica shop and discussed the matter with the owner. The most recent auction sale of the 1.5 Extender M was north of $10,000. Apparently there are a lot of Komura extender M's available and I located one for not a lot of money with case and hot shoe finder. So, my question is, has anyone had experience with the Komura  M extender combined with a Leica lens (such as a Tele-Elmarit 90mm, or....) mated to an M camera ( CCD or CMOS) and if so, what were the results?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jevidon,

I have a Komura x2 which I have not tried since film days on the M6.

I was not impressed with the 90mm f=2.8 tele elmarit and Komura and stopped using it.

I also have a Russian 2x  converter in 39mm screw mount but have never shot film with it.

When I return home after Easter I will try both and let you know.

Kangaroo2012