Testing the 24mm Super Elmar-S

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Handheld. All my photos are with S 006.

Jesse

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

This is near the top of the list for my all-time favorite lenses.  Edge to edge sharpness, little or no vignetting, minimum distortion, outstanding colors, and relatively small size make this lens a perfect choice for beach landscape photography.

(S2, Super-Elmar-S 24, 1/1000 at f/3.5)

Edited by relms
  • Like 11

Another with the Super-Elmar-S 24.  This time attached to the S007.

• Like 8

I got this lens second hand in mint condition from the good people at Leica Store Berlin. I think it delivers drama and sharpness in spades and I really love it's rendering. I agree with the post further up that this lens and the 120mm f2.5 are something special within the S line-up. But than again, I used my 70mm as my only lens on a two weeks trip to Germany and I absolutely loved it's images too. Arghh, I want/need all the S lenses anyway :-)

• Like 1

I am satisfied with the results from this lens. I now plan to return the loaner and get one for myself.

More swans.

Jesse

• Like 6

I don't feel this lens is more special than other S glasses. At f3.5, corner is not there. WA lens (mainly used for Landscape) is all about corner performance. until f8 corner reach peak.(which is slower than real good GLASS IMO) but certainly is fine as I mostly use f8~f13 with this lens on S.  but for $9000 asking price? comm'on.

I can shoot 35mm, 70mm, 100cron 180 all WO if I have to to get cross frame sharpness, but not this one. M mount 21SEM is stronger performer than this one for corner sharpness at wide aperture.  

FYI.

Edited by ZHNL

I don't feel this lens is more special than other S glasses. At f3.5, corner is not there. WA lens (mainly used for Landscape) is all about corner performance. until f8 corner reach peak.(which is slower than real good GLASS IMO) but certainly is fine as I mostly use f8~f13 with this lens on S.  but for $9000 asking price? comm'on.

I can shoot 35mm, 70mm, 100cron 180 all WO if I have to to get cross frame sharpness, but not this one. M mount 21SEM is stronger performer than this one for corner sharpness at wide aperture.  

FYI.

I do not have a 21SEM, therefore I cannot compare. Look at post 3 in this thread. This is wide open handheld, 1/25 second. I have to zoom to 50% before I begin to notice a change in corner sharpness. The Super Elmar-S 24 is better than my 21 Elmarit-M wide open, at the corners.

Normally, I am shooting on a tripod at f8-11.

After testing the lens in a variety of situations, I just ordered one (second hand) from Leica Shop Vienna. I should have it Tuesday, and will take it to the mountains on Friday. If anyone is interested, Leica Shop Vienna has another one available.

Jesse

Edited by djmay
  • Like 1

I do not have a 21SEM, therefore I cannot compare. Look at post 3 in this thread. This is wide open handheld, 1/25 second. I have to zoom to 50% before I begin to notice a change in corner sharpness. The Super Elmar-S 24 is better than my 21 Elmarit-M wide open, at the corners.

Normally, I am shooting on a tripod at f8-11.

After testing the lens in a variety of situations, I just ordered one (second hand) from Leica Shop Vienna. I should have it Tuesday, and will take it to the mountains on Friday. If anyone is interested, Leica Shop Vienna has another one available.

Jesse

The lens is fine as landscape lens for S system. And there is no any other choice here for WA. 

All I am saying is I don't know and see the special people talk here about this lens. If it is 120 APO, I can understand, or 180 APO which I recently got. Those specialty can be seen instantly. sharpness wise, my 35mm Summarit S rides over it at corner and as sharp as it in center. 

I have used 21 SEM on M240 and it give sharp corner WO. at f5.6 it is perfect. The Nikon 20mm f1.8G is also perfect at f5.6. I believer 21 Loxia on Sony will give similar great results.

My nikon 14-24mm reach peak performance at f5.6 at 14-16mm region and corner are sharp. At f8-f11 even Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4 and Nikon 16-35mm G are sharp at corner. 

The lens's has flawless center performance with minimal or no CA but corner is not there even at f5.6 if you are critical enough or do some parallel comparison with other WA lens offered in market. 

I paid half of list price 2nd hand mint copy which I consider a bargain for this lens. As S user, I have no choice if I want wide angle shooting, but because of natural of UWA lens usage and because of corner performance, i fail to see special and raving about this lens.   

If "has sharp corners" were one of the top 5 good things about a photo, I would be very disappointed.

We all have different criteria for what makes a lens wonderful.

--Matt

If lens performance is one of top 5 good thing about a photo, I would be disappointed too.

Having said that, I haven't run into a landscape or fine art photographer wouldn't care corner performance of lens yet.

Since we are talking about lens not photography here, I am talking about lens performance.

Again, lens is fine after f8, which I mostly like use with and a tripod. But f8 sharp WA is not a rare beast anymore.

So if the special of this lens is not optical performance then that special people talking about here is WA focal length? I just want some clarification.

Fair enough. I still think other lens properties are more important. Color and contrast are hard to quantify, but are the first things that make an impression. Linearity can be corrected in software. CA to some extent. But flare can be a serious problem and the 24 is very good shooting into the sun.

But really, it's a system issue. A tech cam lens is better optically, but it doesn't fit on an S. I use the S because I like using it. The 24 is wider than most MF solutions - certainly ones that autofocus. But I don't care if there are more perfect optics on other systems. I'm not using them.

Matt