Film template, guide, which?

pico

For the record, the Leica nickel film cutting blade that was designed to be used with the ABLON is the ABCOO.

Pete.

And when you can find one it typically costs more than the ALBON.

I use a 3D printed ALBON copy, it has the huge advantage that if I ever lose it all I have to do is print another, not cry over the amount of money I just lost. :) http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/267196-3d-printed-albon/

Is there something special about the design of the ABCOO which facilitates cutting the film with an ABLON? I've always used the small blade of a penknife which seems like taking a sledge hammer to a small brad.

It might be helpful to persons who do not wish to carry a proper knife.

Is there something special about the design of the ABCOO which facilitates cutting the film with an ABLON? I've always used the small blade of a penknife which seems like taking a sledge hammer to a small brad.

A penknife does just as well.  The ABCOO has a sharpened cleft at the business end, which helps to hold the film to the blade as it cuts.

Pete.

• Like 1

some illustrations

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can get a 3D printed version of the ABLON (see the other thread here in the Historica section) quite easily; I have one and it works great. And it's lighter...it's not a real ABLON, but who cares it's lighter and if I lose it I'm not out $200 or whatever ridiculous prices they run at for a not-very-rare-yet 'collector's piece of stamped metal with a piano hinge'. I've always only loaded film in my iiig or iiif exactly as prescribed by Leica. I don't do anything like sliding in credit cards or keeping the shutter open and poking my fingers around, etc. with non-trimmed film.  I've never had a snag or an issue. I also keep the bottom plate off and take up the slack with the rewind knob and watch for the engagement of the sprockets before closing it up. Although I don't think I'd do so good if I was being shot at like the great combat photogs who used these cameras (!), I am able now to change and load my film while actually walking on a crowded street, not stopping, and quite quickly. 

I also plan my shooting - by this, I mean when I'm shooting the Barnack Leica I take rolls for that camera with me already trimmed and ready to go. I don't drop into a drugstore and grab a non-trimmed roll and then try to fiddle with it. I actually have my own 'rapid load' system, as it were.  I have a spare spool (always a good idea with any Leica with a removable spool including M3 and M2, since if you drop your spool on the street and it rolls down the sewer grate, you're finished). And I have one of those double film plastic containers made by Adox or Rollei (the kind they sell two rolls of film in). In that canister I have my spare spool already connected to another cartridge. At the time of a film change, I rewind the old film, take out the spool, then just drop in the new loaded spool/film combo and I'm good to go again. When I stop for a break or a coffee (or a glass of wine!), I set up the next roll in the plastic Adox case.  This has worked well for me; your mileage may vary. But I figure it's a good approach...most of us aren't shooting screw mount Leicas where we are burning through 4 rolls in 20 minutes, so the need for absolute rapid loading isn't there in my opinion. 

• Like 3