Film template, guide, which?

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pardon if this is a duplicate.

Old age is catching up. I have not been successful guessing how to cut the film leader for my IIIG.

Are all the metal trim guides alike? What product codes should I look for.

Many thanks for guidance.

Thank you. I find this post  by wlaidlaw in accord with my experience. I had no trouble with my deceased father-in-laws ancient Leica II(whatever it was), but that was twenty years ago. I must be degenerating.

Oh, aside: his lens was so clouded. An example of one image of me Irish darling from her father's Leica. The big white animal is me at 11 months old, only half grown!

molly-pico-color.jpg

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

Here is my home-brew template.   I made it when I first got my 111f about thirty years ago, and it has been in use ever since. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is made of 1/32" brass ( 0.8mm) thick.  The two little lugs are soft soldered in, locate in the sprocket holes and align the two halves.

Best wishes,

Susie

• Like 1

I've always just trimmed the leader with a pair of scissors and a guess at how long it should be, always worked fine. Other solutions seem unnecessarily complicated.

I used to do the same, but thirty years ago and before I acquired hand injuries. :)

[...] snip helpful video of loading

LOL pls start a photography one-liners thread immediately

One-liners are the hardest. Going biographical into my late mother's darkest lines.

I asked mother if I was adopted. She replied, "No, stupid! Would I choose you?"

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I've always just trimmed the leader with a pair of scissors and a guess at how long it should be, always worked fine. Other solutions seem unnecessarily complicated.

I totally agree with James. I have an ABLON, but it is a pain to use. Free hand is best and quickest, I find.

William

I totally agree with James. I have an ABLON, but it is a pain to use. Free hand is best and quickest, I find.

William

Show off! ;) If you have all your fingers you are disqualified. If you do not have a tremor - disqualified. I have both, proudly for living hard so long. I love ya anyway, William.

Thank you to all who replied. I will pick up some new brass stock and make mine as Susie has. Thanks, Susie!

Edited by pico

I'd imagine that using an Ablon would be more difficult unless you have the special Leica cutting tool to go with it. 

It would get in the way of scissors, and it would be dangerous to use with a normal scalpel or stanley knife - surely you have to hold it up in one hand and the knife in another? If you lay it flat the film isn't flat on the cutting surface. 

If cutting really isn't possible then the credit card method will work (business cards or any piece of card about that size will do). 

[... snip good stuff ...]

If cutting really isn't possible then the credit card method will work (business cards or any piece of card about that size will do). 

I happen to still have a titanium membership card from an exclusive organization. The card lived forgotten in my day-wallet. Thanks for the nudge. Will try it tonight.

If there were a Leica group dedicated to old bodies, it would cool if their membership card doubled as a film guide. I know I'm dreaming. :)

Edited by pico

I'd imagine that using an Ablon would be more difficult unless you have the special Leica cutting tool to go with it. 

It would get in the way of scissors, and it would be dangerous to use with a normal scalpel or stanley knife - surely you have to hold it up in one hand and the knife in another? If you lay it flat the film isn't flat on the cutting surface. 

Any kitchen knife or pocket knife works very well.

If I'm trimming without a guide I just trim off 13 sprocket holes, that gives you the right length leader.

Any kitchen knife or pocket knife works very well.

I just use the small blade on my Swiss army knife.  The template is hardly complicated to use - just clamp the film between the plates and run the blade along!

I've suggested another London meet sometime soon (see Meetings) and I'll bring it along then for those who can get there.

Susie