First impressions Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all:

I have just been shooting an afternoon with the new Leica Q and would like to share some first impressions. Everything was set in automatic mode (matrix metering, program mode, autofocus) and the results were generally fine.

However, one of the main reasons I have bought the Q is because of its automatic panorama stitching. And here I have some issues. One: it is very cumbersome to wade through different menu settings only to set the Q in panorama mode for one picture, and then to revert to normal. Is there no way one can assign a shortcut to this function on one of the buttoms of the camera? Two: I have been unable to take a usable panorama shot, either because I was always told I was moving the camera too slow, or the result showed vertical banding in the skies. I am used to taking pano shots on my BlackBerry Passport and that really works surprisingly easy and well. That does not seem to be the case with the Q. Is it normal one has to very rapidly move the camera left to right to take a panorama shot (with the consequence that accurate framing is hit and miss)? This experience was actually quite disappointing. Would anyone have some cues on how to make the panorama mode really work well?

I was using the electronic viewfinder as well as the monitor depending on the case. But I noticed that the colors and light setting in the EVF were quite off compared to the monitor. The image in the EVF does not really correspond well to the actual picture: the view is too bright and washed out in the EVF compared to the actual shot. Is that normal? Can one perhaps change the brightness of the EVF? Compared to the Leica S optical viewfinder, this is quite a bummer actually.

Thanks.

Pascal

The auto pano feature is quite poor in the Q, though it doesn't always get it right on my Panasonic or Sony camera's either, often leaving banding in the sky etc

Just set everything to manual and take a couple of quick shots as you rotate the camera a little each time and then stitch it together in post, plenty of programs, even free ones, that do this really well, and you have way more control over many shooting parameters unlike the auto pano modes, plus no issues with weird banding etc

The Q shoots 28mm which is perfect for pano mages without "magic"

This was shot as JPEG (oops I only shoot DNG now) then printed 8.3x24" on Epson pano paper by a Canon Pro-100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The auto pano feature is quite poor in the Q, though it doesn't always get it right on my Panasonic or Sony camera's either, often leaving banding in the sky etc

Just set everything to manual and take a couple of quick shots as you rotate the camera a little each time and then stitch it together in post, plenty of programs, even free ones, that do this really well, and you have way more control over many shooting parameters unlike the auto pano modes, plus no issues with weird banding etc

That is exactly why I got the Q, the ability to take automatic pano shots. If I have to stitch, then I do not need the Q and can as well confine myself to my M or S...

I recently bought a used one. Opened the box, inserted the battery and got the system error message first time I turned it on. Switched off and back on and it has been working perfectly for the past several weeks. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a used one. Opened the box, inserted the battery and got the system error message first time I turned it on. Switched off and back on and it has been working perfectly for the past several weeks. Fingers crossed.

Got that error message first thing after I switched on the new Q ...

That  "System Error " message is a dangerous thing to play with.  I got three new cameras in a row and each time I was told to send them back.  If it happens again, you could be looking at a warranty replacement.  Hate to give you the bad news.  I even spoke to Leica USA about it.  You might want and call then yourself as they could not believe that I got three in a row.  Call technical support at Leica USA.  Good luck.

• Like 1

See my message on "System Error" (above).  I spoke to Leica USA about this and you need to do the same.  They need to know it was just not me getting this error message.  I went through three new cameras until the fourth worked.

Edited by falcon468

I wonder why would you do panorama stitching in camera instead of in Lightroom or Photoshop? Save time processing?

I find it very easy to shoot panoramas in any of my cameras and then stitch them in post.

• Like 1

I wonder why would you do panorama stitching in camera instead of in Lightroom or Photoshop? Save time processing?

I find it very easy to shoot panoramas in any of my cameras and then stitch them in post.

You said it yourself, time and labor saving, especially during travel when one does not take a laptop ...