Leica M not recognising SD card

hunta

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone heard of issues with the Typ240 not recognising SD cards? I was shooting today and a few shots in it gave me the SD error and wouldn't shoot (shutter activated but didn't write). I switched the camera off and on again and it seemed OK for a few more shots, then did it again and I can't bring it back to life. The camera isn't even attempting to read the card (red light) when switching on.

I've tried removing the battery and the card for prolonged periods.

I've tried a different card. Both are 8GB, reliable in the past and are readable fine by the PC. I've also tried a card freshly formatted using the SD Formatter tool.

The camera won't even allow me into the menu to try reformatting, so at the moment it's completely unusable.

Can't find anything on the web about this but thought I'd post before taking a trip to Mayfair.

Right or wrong I always assume that technology's should match. In other words My M240 technology is about  3 or 4 years old at that time is was designed for the latest SD card technology.

When I got my camera that latest card technology was the SanDisk Extreme PRO 95MB/s C10 U3.
I got a 64GB card and it has always been reliable and problem free.  When I needed more memory, I bought  several of exactly the same cards, even though there were faster cards on the market.

I don't know if my reasoning makes computer/technology sense? My camera works error free and it seems to be fast enough.  I use the same reasoning with the other cameras that I have and try not to mix cards and cameras ....the card marrys' the camera.

I try to limit my variables. Do other have a set of rules they live by? ......where photography is concerned

Right or wrong I always assume that technology's should match. In other words My M240 technology is about  3 or 4 years old at that time is was designed for the latest SD card technology. [...]

SD card technology is very stable, and recent cards are backwards compatible. IOW if your camera supports SDXC, then it supports both SDHC and SD. An exception is when the camera predates larger cards as I found to be true of the M9. Silly me.

But nothing lasts forever and our OP might simply have a failed card.

IF SD formatter does not work, the card is likely broken.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the replies thus far.

To reiterate, I've tried with more than one 'known good' card, so to my mind this is a camera issue.

I don't have a second battery but I'm currently giving the one I have a full charge.

I dropped by Leica Mayfair this afternoon and left the camera with them to look at. I failed to mention previously that I also couldn't access Live View or any of the menu items. I've got a feeling it'll be winging its way to Germany fairly soon.

Typically, it's just outside the 2 year warranty as well.

• 2 years later...
On 3/27/2017 at 8:56 PM, hunta said:

I dropped by Leica Mayfair this afternoon and left the camera with them to look at. I failed to mention previously that I also couldn't access Live View or any of the menu items. I've got a feeling it'll be winging its way to Germany fairly soon.

Typically, it's just outside the 2 year warranty as well.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm facing a similar issue as well with my M240. In my case, the LCD and all buttons on the back of the camera stopped working, however the shutter still releases while the framelines and exposure indicators in the viewfinder are still active - it just doesn't write to the SD card, nor does it allow the LCD / any of the buttons to work. Popping the battery in and out, or toggling the camera on / off gets it back on again (sometimes).

Did OP manage to get it sorted out, and if so, what was the issue?

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, bryan_t said:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm facing a similar issue as well with my M240. In my case, the LCD and all buttons on the back of the camera stopped working, however the shutter still releases while the framelines and exposure indicators in the viewfinder are still active - it just doesn't write to the SD card, nor does it allow the LCD / any of the buttons to work. Popping the battery in and out, or toggling the camera on / off gets it back on again (sometimes).

Did OP manage to get it sorted out, and if so, what was the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it was sorted but had to go back to the factory. The good news for me was that Leica fixed it free of charge, even though I was technically just out of warranty.

I hope you get yours sorted.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this as a fellow member reached out to me and I hope the below information is useful for anyone trying to find clarity on the same issue I faced.

The issue with my unit turned out to be a dead motherboard that Leica Germany had to replace.

Fortunately, my unit was a refurbished set that I had purchased from Leica directly, so it was covered within the 3-month warranty then and I did not have to pay for the repair costs. That being said, I won’t be able to advise what the costs were as the local Leica Service Centre had absorbed all costs and gave me an invoice that reflected $0.

All in all, the repair took 3 months from the time I sent my unit to the local Leica Service Centre, but they were nice enough to loan me a user unit in the meantime!

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2022 at 4:32 AM, thien.ng said:

Hello,

I'm having the same problem for my Leica m type 240, currently the camera just shows "sd" in the frameline and the liveview screen is not working. I do not have a Leica service center in Vietnam.

Can you tell me how much it costs to repair this camera?

I had the same problem with my Leica M10 i bought secon hand. Fortunaly i had some month left of my warranty, so i did not pay anything, but if i had to pay, the bill was around 1000 dollar included everything.

They changed some part of the printed circuit board.