WATE question

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to use my 100x100 Formatt Hitech filters with the WATE 16-18-21.  I have the Formatt Hitech 100mm aluminum holder.  Can I buy a 49mm stepdown ring for the holder or do I need to purchase the Leica 67mm adapter and use a 67mm stepdown ring for the holder?

I'm guessing you need the Leica adapter as the threads are on the outside of the lens barrel. When you unscrew the hood you'll see what I mean. They made the end of the lens barrel red so that you would know that the lens element protrudes out past the end and not bump it.

You must use the 67mm adapter to use any filters on the WATE!

It's the MATE that uses 49mm, at least on my version.

+1, a good guide is any Leica Lens with red around the lens on the "hidden threads" under the Leica filter adapter or Leica screw on hood (WATE and 18mm) must have the Leica filter adapter to assure clearance and to at least bring the apex of the front element under the outer line of hood or filter holder.

leica-tri-elmar-16-18-21mm-f4-m-6-bit-wi

(red dot forum)

D3S_6960-1200.jpg

Ken Rockwell

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am seriously considering my M10 as my "landscape" camera due to the lovely rendering of the M lenses and the compactness of the M cameras. We all know that AF is redundant in Landscape work, so it sways my decision to consider using my M10 rather than my SL. I did my own light leakage test on my M10 and found it largely acceptable. For serious landscape work, ND filter usage are a must. As I consider to purchase the WATE, can some kind soul advice me on how to successfully mount circular ND filters onto WATE. I see the leica filter adapter for the WATE has two openings, so that makes ND filter application not suitable. Is there an effect way to fill up the openings (to level good enough not to leak light)? I can think of getting custom machining and threading to turn the stock square metal hood to take on filters but that is too much work.

I am seriously considering my M10 as my "landscape" camera due to the lovely rendering of the M lenses and the compactness of the M cameras. We all know that AF is redundant in Landscape work, so it sways my decision to consider using my M10 rather than my SL. I did my own light leakage test on my M10 and found it largely acceptable. For serious landscape work, ND filter usage are a must. As I consider to purchase the WATE, can some kind soul advice me on how to successfully mount circular ND filters onto WATE. I see the leica filter adapter for the WATE has two openings, so that makes ND filter application not suitable. Is there an effect way to fill up the openings (to level good enough not to leak light)? I can think of getting custom machining and threading to turn the stock square metal hood to take on filters but that is too much work.

The quick fix is black gaffers tape but I would try it both ways. I never had a problem with light leak on landscape.

The quick fix is black gaffers tape but I would try it both ways. I never had a problem with light leak on landscape.

I'm also using black tape to cover this. Works fine. And usually I cover the area between the lens and the camera with a black hair tie, that is usually an area with potential leaking of light.

• 2 years later...
On 9/14/2017 at 4:26 AM, jdlaing said:

Has anybody found a “cleaner” third party (solution/option) lens hood that would fit the WATE hood thread ?

1 hour ago, Del-Uks said:

Has anybody found a “cleaner” third party (solution/option) lens hood that would fit the WATE hood thread ?

Not that wouldn’t vignette at 35 and 28.

The factory hood fixes to the outside of the barrel and is a square hood.