paint chips and SD question

Badluck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just ordered a leica SL with the 24-90 lens (hope i won't be dissapointed) + an M mount to use with my m lens.

The camera I've bought will have a few minor paint chips i wonder if anyone has any tips or has done anything to touch these up on their camera? Also just to confirm that a 64gb Sandisk extreme pro  SDXC will work without any issues?

If down to bare metal I have used Birchwood Casey 'Brass Black' and 'Aluminium Black' Metal Finish with success.  

Both used by gunsmiths to oxidise/blacken metal parts and does disguise abraded bits on lenses and bodies quite well

You will never get a reasonable cosmetic finish with painting. Don't even bother to try it. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

If down to bare metal I have used Birchwood Casey 'Brass Black' and 'Aluminium Black' Metal Finish with success.  

Both used by gunsmiths to oxidise/blacken metal parts and does disguise abraded bits on lenses and bodies quite well

You will never get a reasonable cosmetic finish with painting. Don't even bother to try it. 

cheers, any before and afters?

...Also just to confirm that a 64gb Sandisk extreme pro  SDXC will work without any issues?

No problem using either Sandisk 64G Extreme Pro or Lexus 128G 1000x Pro SDXC cards with my SL. 

Are the lens hoods brass or aluminum?

Both the SL24-90 and SL90-280 lens hoods are plastic far as I can tell. 

I can't answer anything about touch up because my camera hasn't a mark on it despite a year and a half's worth of use. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

cheers, any before and afters?

Just make sure clean and de-greased. You may have to repeat several applications to get a deep black.

Fairly resilient and anyway easily repeated. A bottle will last a lifetime. 

Never tried the Pens. Never bothered about exactly what the metal was either ...... just tried one and if no good tried the other. M Hoods are mostly aluminium based from what I can see.

Both contain a nasty selection of acids so don't lick the paintbrush to get a point between applications ....  :)

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Never had to tough up my camera after using it daily since release.

Have yet to have ANY card issues with my camera. Just keep in mind the card slots are different speeds.Only slot 1 is UHS2.

All SL and S lens hoods are plastic.

Enjoy your new camera. Make sure the firmware is up to date. It does make a difference.

Gordon