What specific after-market non-Leica hood do you use for your 28mm cron (old ASPH version)?

A miller

Thanks, Jeff.  Is this the FLE lux?

Adam, it's the hood for the 35 ASPH prior to the FLE. (By coincidence I recently sold my Summicron and still have this hood if your friend wants one?).

Leica_12589_Lens_Hood_for_35mm_89432.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

A friend of mine wants to know...

Thanks.

Adam

What's wrong with the correct hood? To big for your friend?

The real problem with those cheap and nasty Chinese-made generic vented hoods is that they will very easily distort from pressure within a camera bag or if bumped against something and filters are easily stuck with even more scope for distorting the hood if you're not careful .

Personally I wouldn't bother with those things, I like the hood that came with my 28mm summicron. It does the job despite the viewfinder cut-off. If your friend can't live with it, go for the smaller 12589.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adam, it's the hood for the 35 ASPH prior to the FLE. (By coincidence I recently sold my Summicron and still have this hood if your friend wants one?).

Leica_12589_Lens_Hood_for_35mm_89432.jpg

I use the same very practical and well-sized hood most of the time on my 28 Summicron. The only thing to be aware of is that the locking ring sits very close to the aperture ring. Takes a little while to get used to it. 

Haven't used the original hood since I bought the lens.

When it's going out for a special evening my Summicron 28 ASPH wears the lovely, outrageously expensive, limited-production scalloped 12466 metal hood :-) 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/151463-leica-12589-vs-12466-replacement-hood-for-35-lux-asph-old/?p=1669078

Good comparison here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/151463-leica-12589-vs-12466-replacement-hood-for-35-lux-asph-old/

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

No aftermarket and typical Leica-price: Hood 12466

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/151463-leica-12589-vs-12466-replacement-hood-for-35-lux-asph-old/#post1699571

Here desribed for the 35mm Summilux, but it works as well - and better - for the 28mm Summicron (1. Version)

Thanks for the info.  Are you seriously recommending this to my friend???  

Edited by A miller

What's wrong with the correct hood? To big for your friend?

The real problem with those cheap and nasty Chinese-made generic vented hoods is that they will very easily distort from pressure within a camera bag or if bumped against something and filters are easily stuck with even more scope for distorting the hood if you're not careful .

Personally I wouldn't bother with those things, I like the hood that came with my 28mm summicron. It does the job despite the viewfinder cut-off. If your friend can't live with it, go for the smaller 12589.

The stock hood is very fragile and huge. Plastic Crap with multiple parts to break. Many feel the same way. My "cheap and nasty" Chinese hood as been through the mill in every situation you can imagine. A camera bag is the nicest place it knows, as it's often thrown in backpacks, motorcycle bags, or free under a ski parka during hard skiing. It's so used it's brassed.

I'm not careful. It's fine. :)

15126261886_74f14608cf_b.jpg

L1019906 by unoh7, Stock Hood

The stock hood lasted a few weeks in the backcountry. My "cheap nasty" is going 3 years now. Note how many watching the bay listing. It's actually a famous hood.

32821136304_ca302730eb_z.jpg

Untitled by unoh7, on Flickr

It takes a 55mm lens cap, or something close, but I have a neopreme lens cover for it:

33623180296_43d7e7e9ec_z.jpg

Untitled by unoh7, on Flickr

That FLE hood looks fine too, though not as much cover against the sun. Quite pricey, though.

Worth noting: never carry the cron or SEM upside down with any hood on in any situation. If the hood is on, it should be up, in lens case also. Otherwise, the front group will loosen over time. Ask DAG. He must tighten them all the time.

Edited by uhoh7