Filter thread on 5cm Summarit f1.5 (1957)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is the 43mm filter thread on the LTM 5cm/1.5 Summarit 0.5mm pitch as used on other Leica 43mm thread lenses or is it the more common international standard of 43 x 0.75mm thread? The original Leitz XOONS cost an arm and a leg and are rather large, to the extent they would dominate my little Model III, where I will most likely be using the Summarit. If it is as I suspect 0.5mm pitch, does anyone make a smallish ventilated hood in this thread? 

Wilson

It's 41 × 0.5 mm.

The Wiki on this forum needs correcting therefore. It shows it as 43mm. Many thanks for this advice. The lens is at my other house in France, so I can't measure it. 

Wilson

I have found that Heavy2Star do a 41 x 0.5mm to e43 ring and then an e43 ventilated hood at very reasonable money. I use a similar arrangement on my 40mm Summicron C with one of Heavy2star's series 5.5 to e39 rings then a ventilated e39 hood. 

If anyone wants an original XOONS, Reg Roach at Croydon Photo Centre has one at a reasonable price, like most of his stuff. I bought a FIKUS hood from him a few weeks ago and he said I could have it cheap at £20, as it was a bit scruffy (I was thinking of spraying it satin black for my O series). When I got it, it looked near perfect to me and far better than some being sold on Fleabay for three times the price, so I am leaving it in the original satin chrome finish. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found that Heavy2Star do a 41 x 0.5mm to e43 ring and then an e43 ventilated hood at very reasonable money. I use a similar arrangement on my 40mm Summicron C with one of Heavy2star's series 5.5 to e39 rings then a ventilated e39 hood. 

If anyone wants an original XOONS, Reg Roach at Croydon Photo Centre has one at a reasonable price, like most of his stuff. I bought a FIKUS hood from him a few weeks ago and he said I could have it cheap at £20, as it was a bit scruffy (I was thinking of spraying it satin black for my O series). When I got it, it looked near perfect to me and far better than some being sold on Fleabay for three times the price, so I am leaving it in the original satin chrome finish. 

Wilson

But- be careful with Heavystar's gear. It is made of aluminium, which tends to bind. At the very least use a mini-smear of silicone grease on the threads.

• Like 1

Using any hood which was not designed by Leitz for a screw mount Leica runs the risk of awkward blockage of the viewfinder and/or the rangefinder. So one should try first.

Uli, 

I have got two SBOOI's which work so much better than the "looking down a railway tunnel" of the Screw Mount reverse Galilean viewfinders, I tend to use those with 50mm lenses and likewise I have Voigtlander viewers for my wider LTM lenses, so a bit of blocking of the regular VF is not a big issue for me. 

Wilson