Leica "O" series ( replica ) dimensions?

I think (but not 100% sure) that the size (specifically, the depth) are slightly different : the Leica Standard was developed several years after the 0 series, and the 0 replicas ought to be exactly copies of the 0 itself.

Thanks Luigi, I searched online,but was unable to find specifics. Hopefully someone who has one of the little beauties will be able help me. Tony.

I do not own the original Leica 0 compare  :D .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have an 0-serie replica but not a leica Standard to compare it to. I can measure the replica baseplate if that helps?

Hi Wattsy, yes ,just the baseplate measurements would be a big help. Someone has offered me a damaged "O" replica case. I want to know if can use it for a Standard. Thanks. Tony.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Wattsy, yes ,just the baseplate measurements would be a big help. Someone has offered me a damaged "O" replica case. I want to know if can use it for a Standard. Thanks. Tony.

Ok, outside dimensions of the baseplate are 30mm x 132mm. The height of the camera excluding controls – i.e. from top plate surface to bottom is 55mm. Control knobs add another 10mm to the height. Hope that helps.

Ok, outside dimensions of the baseplate are 30mm x 132mm. The height of the camera excluding controls – i.e. from top plate surface to bottom is 55mm. Control knobs add another 10mm to the height. Hope that helps.

That's great Wattsy,looks like it might just about work, with a bit of skill and persuasion. I'll report back. Thanks again. Tony.

That's great Wattsy,looks like it might just about work, with a bit of skill and persuasion. I'll report back. Thanks again. Tony.

No problem. Presumably the lens will be similarly offset from the centre on a Standard? For the record (in case it helps) the centre of the 0-serie replica lens is 55mm from the right hand edge (looked at from the front).

• Like 1

Yes, the Leica standard 1a fits very well into the Leica O case. Also the Leica O case is very well made and evidently a copy of the original early case for the first series of Leica cameras before the rangefinder (Auto Focus) showed up. I have used mine for all the early standard cameras including my 4 digit early one. The good thing is there is no screw in the bottom. But there is strap that goes over the camera and this interferes with the range finder of later models.

• Like 1

Thanks again Wattsy, yup 55mm about right. The Standard measures 2/3mm extra, difference width and length. With relative modern leather, and depending on case making tolerances. Also some saddle soap treatment. I think it will work. :-) . Tony.

• Like 1

Yes, the Leica standard 1a fits very well into the Leica O case. Also the Leica O case is very well made and evidently a copy of the original early case for the first series of Leica cameras before the rangefinder (Auto Focus) showed up. I have used mine for all the early standard cameras including my 4 digit early one. The good thing is there is no screw in the bottom. But there is strap that goes over the camera and this interferes with the range finder of later models.

Oh thanks George, just missed your post, nice to have confirmed. Tony.

Unfortunately I just put a film into my O and 1C last night otherwise I would try swapping to make sure that they are interchangeable. However below is a picture of them propped up bottom to bottom plate and they look near identical. The only thing is that the O series looks a fraction deeper but that may be an optical effect of the brassing on the 1C. 

Wilson

Unfortunately I just put a film into my O and 1C last night otherwise I would try swapping to make sure that they are interchangeable. However below is a picture of them propped up bottom to bottom plate and they look near identical. The only thing is that the O series looks a fraction deeper but that may be an optical effect of the brassing on the 1C. 

Wilson

Fantastic, my case is on the way. Tony.

If I undestood well you want to use the 0 case for your Standard so you have to take care about the fact that the case does not have the security screw under it but a piece of leather string that secure the camera from the top and close with a pressure bottom
ou will need to modify it because the viewfinder and the rewind wheel makes an obstuction to use it

• Like 1

If I undestood well you want to use the 0 case for your Standard so you have to take care about the fact that the case does not have the security screw under it but a piece of leather string that secure the camera from the top and close with a pressure bottom

ou will need to modify it because the viewfinder and the rewind wheel makes an obstuction to use it

Thanks JC, very useful info, there will be some "modifications " to do. The top flap is a little damaged so I think a half case is the way to go. And then I see if I can modify the small retaining strap. Tony.

I am not quite sure why Leica went the security strap route. It also gets in the way if you use anything in the shoe as well, such as an accessory FODIS rangefinder or like I do, an accessory SBOOI bright line viewfinder, as with single vision eyes (cataract replacement lenses), the wire frame finder is close to impossible to use. I may well modify my O case to have a security screw and remove the strap. 

Wilson

Hi folks, well the case arrived. In the end not much to do, discarded the damaged top part of the case, shortened the carrying strap. The camera fits very well, the security strap also works with just a modest stretch. The leather does need a bit of feeding, and then ready to go. There is a bit of stitch work to repair underneath were the top case was attached, but nothing difficult. So thanks again for all the great info,it helped the process along nicely. Some pictures.

• Like 2

I have gone in the opposite direction and am using the half case for my Model I[C] Standard, for my O series. The only irritation was that Leica decided to use a ¼" UNF thread in the O series bottom cover, rather than the ⅜" Whit thread that all pre-war Leica's used. This mean I had to change the retention screw on the case. I have also moved over the strap from the O case to the old Model 1 case, as its strap was far too short and had very much seen better days. I would not trust it to hold a camera now in use as it is very dry with lots of splits on it. This is in contrast to the case, where years of finger grease has given it a lovely patina. In case anyone wants to know, that is a FIKUS hood on the O. 

Wilson