90mm lens decision

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for a 90mm lens and have to decide between 2 that I've found. The first is an as new 2.8 elmarit and the other is a mint silver macro elmar.

The macro with macro adapter is double the price but obviously has the benefit of being tiny. The elmarit on the other hand gives me the extra stop but would be my biggest lens and may consequently be relegated to special use rather than always with me..

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Elmarit or Elmarit-M? I used to own the 90mm Elmarit-M. On my digital M cameras (M9 and M) focus was spot on at either 1m or infinity. Leica Switzerland could not make it properly focus at both ends as that would have required some parts they didn't have any more. So, if it's the Elmarit-M and your camera is one of the digital Ms, a brief testing of the focussing would be recommended.

• Like 1

The Macro-Elmar seems to be the earlier version which had the "goggles" to use it for close focus. If  you don't want/need them, the Macro-Elmar might be more expensive than its practical value.

As an alternative to the Elmarit-M the 90mm Summarit might be worth to consider. The two versions of F1/2.5 and 2.4 have the same optics, the difference of 0.1 is just theoretical. 

All lenses might have a problem of exact focus - though their is no rule at all that they really have, 

• Like 1

I like the macro lens given its light weight, whereas I gave up on and sold a 90 Summicron APO – too heavy! You do of course have to remember to un-collapse it when using……

The accessory close view attachment is still separately available, but very expensive, as is the replacement for live view cameras.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you don't need anything faster than 4.0 and want a light and compact lens the Macro-Elmar-M is unbeatable. It's light weight is worth at least a stop being easier to hold.  Otherwise get the Elmarit-M.

This summarises my thoughts when I was looking for a 90mm lens:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/175185-in-praise-of-the-4090-macro-elmar-m/

• Like 2

The Elmarit-M is quite a sharp lens. I was lucky enough to run one down that had already been six-bit coded and works like a dream with both my M9 and M262 when I elect to carry it, as my preference most of the time is a 75mm f2 APO.

• Like 1

I tried the Elmarit-M, the Summicron-M ASPH and the Macro-Elmar-M. For me the Macro-Elmar is the winner in absolutely everything except speed. For me speed is not important at 90mm (I have a Noctilux) and so the stunning image quality, close focusing to 0.8m (as opposed to 1m for Elmarit/Summicron) and compact size of the Macro-Elmar make it an excellent choice. 

I really liked the Elmarit-M, but I found it too big for what it does (as compared to the Macro Elmar). I think (very subjective) the Macro-Elmar is perhaps sharper (if that's something that matters to you) and has more "pop"  compared to the Elmarit-M. 

The Summicron-ASPH has extremely good image quality, but at f4 and higher you couldn't tell it apart from the Macro-Elmar. As with the Elmarit-M, it only focuses down to 1m. 

Edited by smkoush
  • Like 2

Elmarit-M feels heavy (it's long) and handles poorly. Very sharp but not so smooth. Macro-Elmer is slow.

IMHO better options: Summarit 90, TE 90, Hex 90. 

The Summarit handles much better than the Elmarit-M and just as sharp, with better color. TE 90 is light as Macro Elmar. "Vintage" low contrast with excellent bokeh WO, but sharp as Elmarit-M at F/8 (says Puts). Hex 90 handles better than Summarit, has gorgeous render, though not as sharp fast, but better than TE. Problem is getting a good one properly calibrated. 

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1

About four years ago, I was fortunate enough to find a chrome 90mm Elmarit-M and use it at a Sugarland concert about 25 rows from the stage.  I love the balance. even with its weight, together with the M9 and even with concert goers on all sides, I was really happy with the results, wide open.  Yes, it is pretty heavy, but will fit nicely in your palm to steady it.

gallery_22520_5333_26244.jpggallery_22520_5333_81520.jpggallery_22520_5333_78880.jpg

• Like 3

90/2.8 v2 vs 90/4 macro?

If f/4 is fast enough for you i would go for the Elmar. My best slow 90 ever. Great lens with or w/o macro adapter.
Otherwise the Elmarit 90/2.8 v2 is also a great lens indeed. It is built like a tank and performs quite well but may need some calibration for use on digital bodies.
Mine tends to stay at home now that i've acquired a Summarit 90/2.4 though as the latter is smaller, lighter and at least as sharp in the center of the frame.
The Elmarit v2 is a bit sharper in the corners though. Its built-in hood is not effective enough as a shade but i find it more handy than the screw in hood of the Summarit by far. I much prefer clip-on of bayonet hoods personally. YMMV.
  • Like 2