I love the colours, but not sure about the focal length?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a Q recently and today was my first opportunity to use it. I'm overall quite happy with the results but in the past, 35mm has been my favourite focal length. I'm sure a 35mm Q would cannibalise sales but I hoped the 28mm would be something I could grow used to, so time will tell.

I do love the colours though. Wow. I've been using Micro Four Thirds for a while and got used to the colour palette, but this is very different. 

I guess I'll give it some more time before deciding whether an X100F may suit me better focal length-wise, or even an RX1Rii. Has anyone else had the same thought process and/or moved from the Q to something like that, or have you found you've got used to it? These were all my first shots and I didn't have a long time. They were all taken within the space of maybe 10mins and then PP'd at home.

L1010195_zpstupijwl5.jpg

L1010235_zpswxvmm75d.jpg

L1010249_zpssmkl564l.jpg

L1010256_zpsquh3ecfs.jpg

Welcome to the Q world. I predict you'll learn to love it. Even at 28mm. I owned multiple Fuji X100 versions. I also loved the cameras especially the "T". However, the IQ is noticeably better on the Q and the usability is even a step up although I think the X100 series is quite good. Give it some time. Crop in if you need to. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I haven't owned the Q very long and I'm still trying to get used to the focal length. I find I have to be much more cognizant of distractions in the frame and am currently doing far more cropping than I would like. I'm a 50mm guy, so the 28mm is a pretty big jump to get used to.

Welcome to the Q world. I predict you'll learn to love it. Even at 28mm. I owned multiple Fuji X100 versions. I also loved the cameras especially the "T". However, the IQ is noticeably better on the Q and the usability is even a step up although I think the X100 series is quite good. Give it some time. Crop in if you need to. Enjoy!

Thanks, gives me some hope at least :-)

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I haven't owned the Q very long and I'm still trying to get used to the focal length. I find I have to be much more cognizant of distractions in the frame and am currently doing far more cropping than I would like. I'm a 50mm guy, so the 28mm is a pretty big jump to get used to.

yes from 50mm I would image it's very different. 35mm is normally my sweet spot and even that is quite a lot narrower FoV compared to 28mm.

I use the Q since one year now and I had a X100S before. Last week I tried the new X100F and I found that the 35mm focal length limited me a lot and I was more than happy to return to my Q. Funny!

Edited by Voxen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 35mm crops from the Q should easily give you as good image quality as an x100. Plus you get the benefits of even better interactions with the camera, as infiniumguy says.

Sorry but I disagree. 28mm is 28mm. 35mm will give a different field of view and therefore a different rendering. It's simply something I'd have to get used, if I can.

I use the Q since one year now and I had a X100S before. Last week I tried the new X100F and I found that the 35mm focal length limited me a lot and I was more than happy to return to my Q. Funny!

Thanks that's very interesting. Has your photo style had to change, or do you reckon 28mm was just what you should have been using all along?

Hi, I don't quite get the colours in the third image.

If that's what you want, well...that's fine of course. Just looks a bit odd to me compared to your other images.

Like a lot of digital, I think the reds are too hot...(first image) I pull them back a bit in processing.

all best..

Sorry but I disagree. 28mm is 28mm. 35mm will give a different field of view and therefore a different rendering. It's simply something I'd have to get used, if I can.

You may disagree but objective facts do not support your disagreement. When you crop a 28 mm lens down to the size of a 35 mm it will give the angle of view of a 35 mm lens. Then change your position to the position you would have taken using a 35 mm lens and the perspective and field of view will be identical to a 35 mm lens.

• Like 1

I've remained cautious on the Q, convinced that, like others above, I'm a 35/50mm guy, and yet I find myself shooting my Sony RX1004 at 24mm all day, and invariably shoot my Fuji 18-55mm at the wide end (28mm) !

Maybe it's time I took the plunge.

Thanks that's very interesting. Has your photo style had to change, or do you reckon 28mm was just what you should have been using all along?

I had to adapt to 28mm but now I couldn't return to 35mm for street photography.

I had an X100S formerly.  Something to remember - the X100 series is a 23mm lens on a 1.5x crop sensor (yielding 35mm angle of view).  The Q is a longer lens at 28mm.  

To shoot the same scene (35mm angle of view) using the 35mm framelines (with a 1.25x crop) you would have better subject separation (a more shallow DoF) and less of a wide angle effect.

The 35mm (and 50mm) crop implementation on the Q is fantastic. You get to see what happens outside of the framelines similar to the M series.  The DNG files keep the full 28mm FoV and LR recognizes the crop and imports it as you shot it.

In reality the only competition to me is the RX1Rii,  The Q wins it for me based on ergonomics, manual focus implementation, size (smaller is not always better), battery life, and AF speed.  

That being said, if Leica had a 35mm Q, I'd opt for that one.  :D

-editted for clarification

Edited by kismetsky

You may disagree but objective facts do not support your disagreement. When you crop a 28 mm lens down to the size of a 35 mm it will give the angle of view of a 35 mm lens. Then change your position to the position you would have taken using a 35 mm lens and the perspective and field of view will be identical to a 35 mm lens.

It's not about the FoV. It's about the compression and other things I would expect. Cropping is fine to a degree but I like to avoid that when I can. Still, I'm getting used to it slowly.

Hi, I don't quite get the colours in the third image.

If that's what you want, well...that's fine of course. Just looks a bit odd to me compared to your other images.

Like a lot of digital, I think the reds are too hot...(first image) I pull them back a bit in processing.

all best..

The third image was purposely processed that way. I went for that sort of low contrast look.

• Like 1