The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

After the coal has gone - Goldthorpe, UK.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 wda

wda

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • City / Ort:Wiltshire UK

Posted 21 March 2017 - 22:45

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Thank you David - I really appreciate your suggestion and you taking the trouble to think of this.

I was intending to send all the project to "The Guardian" for a feature in their Weekend magazine but the LFI is a great suggestion also.

The pictures here are shown at very low quality due to the numbers that would obviously take a massive amount of forum bandwidth and also to comply with the forum's size restrictions.

The original files are of course much higher quality and as always with the Leica M8.2 especially the resolution is amazing and really does justice to the Leica lenses especially the 75mm Apo Summicron.

Paul, I suggest you avoid a shotgun approach because you could lose control of the business side. Imagine the possible conflict if two newspaper editors decided to publish in the same time-frame.

One more suggestion if this a first foray for you. Tightly edit your selection and send it with an outline of your article text, adding that you have a wider cover if the editor is interested. It is better to discuss the feature by telephone if there is real interest.
  • paulmac said thank you to this
David
www.davidaskham.com -
(Leica user since ... a very long time ago)

#22 Krug

Krug

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Location1 Hr N of Toronto
  • City / Ort:North-of-Toronto

Posted 21 March 2017 - 23:13

This is an interesting and very worthwhile social history project and 'paulmac' is surely to be congratulated on his commitment and vision.

However let us not be too carried away into sentimental fantasies about Pit Life. I lived for some years in a Pit area - albeit in the easy role as a lecturer in the local college - and most of the miners told me that it was a hellish life and that they would do almost anything to prevent their sons from following them 'down the pit' because of the danger, the appaling working conditions and the serious health hazards. They had fond memories of the pit ponies but volunteered the view that it was a cruel and dreadful life for them underground all year. And yes there are indeed huge reserves of coal still underground but only usable for energy at very high costs both financial for the consumer and environmental.

The social policy message of these stark and appalling images should be the failure of aid for the community to develop other employment opportunities and the absence of social and economic investment in these areas.

These are undoubtedly powerful images conveying a more than sad storyline but the answer is not more mining but far better treatment for those left stranded and hopeless by change which is in all other respects welcome and positive.

• paulmac and Paul J said thank you to this

#23 Mr Fjeld

Mr Fjeld

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 22:21

This thread with its splendid photos, the history unfolded, the comments on social life and consequences of once thriving coal industry and the sorry state of communities like this, makes this thread the most interesting I've been visiting for a long time. Very different from my own life and well worth discovering.

#24 StS

StS

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:05

Very good reportage. As a side note, the M8 does a pretty good job, when it comes to black and white pictures.

Stefan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

Leica Deals