From Q to M10 or SL ?

I have the Q, which I came to after an M(240) for vision issues where I needed an AF option & better aids for MF (magnification & peaking).  But it took me some adjustment in giving up the wonderful optical view finder on an M camera.  However, a friend who has been an M shooter for years & was planning on getting the M10 ended up getting the SL instead.  He tells me that he could not be happier with it, & doesn't find the increased size & weight to be that much of an issue (but I don't know how much traveling he has done with the SL).  He also thinks that the SL viewfinder is so well done, that he has no problems after years & years of RF usage.  For him the major factor is the quality lenses that are being made by Leica for the SL. He has the standard zoom & the new 50mm Summilux & believes they are even better than any of the M lenses he still has & also uses on the SL.  So I know your question was looking at traveling ease & video usage, but thought that these other considerations might be important as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a similar thought process as I currently own a Q and I'm in line for the M10.

For the video capabilities, I use a DJI Osmo as it's relatively small and the stabilization is great.  Granted you're stuck with a single focal length but it's a great way to document travels.  I rarely use video on the Q, even though it's fairly capable, because I'm still unable to hold the camera steady, pan, and walk without getting intrusive camera shake.

My personal opinion, if given the opportunity, I'd probably go light with an M10, and a DJI Osmo (or Osmo Mobile).  And if you have enough room in the bag and pocket, I'd throw in a DJI Mavic Pro for some aerial shots! ;)

Good luck with your choice!

• Like 1

All three models haven`t got anything to do with each other, they follow different philosophies. I do personally own a Q and a M10. I use the Q in general for moments, when there`s no time to hesitate taking the picture, e.g. street photography. But I wouldn`t want to miss my M (whatever M it is) for all the rest. In my opinion, the SL isn`t any better than the M10, only much heavier and bulkier (2 kg body and 50mm, oh my god ... not to mention the zoom lenses ...). For video the Q is fine. For travelling, I always take my Q and my M with me. In that case the Q replaces my 28mm lens and it`s also good for video. The M10 is the absolutely best digital M ever, a must to have for every M lover. So my answer to the initial question is: keep your Q and go for the M10 ! You will never regret it !

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

i vote for SL. Let go all out. Get the big boy. :) You have additional access to canon and sigma lenses with the novoflex adapter. All auto focus. You can't do that with  M10. :)  I'm bias on my vote since i have both the Q and SL. :)

sl9.jpg

Edited by AlexP

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I have now gone around with my Q and I'm wondering if I should go for a SL or an M10. I travel a lot then the M would be better but I love to shoot video ?

Any advice ?

Mat

The M is a completely different photographic experience. I would think about that (MF, AP, etc.) rather then the focal length.

theoretically the SL is similar but its so much bigger and heavier - very important for travel.

If you are happy with 28mm and 35mm keep the Q. If you want 21, 50 & >90, etc. think about the M240 or M10, but perhaps hire one for a month

gds

What ever you do, keep the Q.

M is the essential Leica experience, but it's an expensive and slippery slope. Also the M with it's all manual function is not for everyone, so you need to make sure it's what you want/like.

SL would be more similar in use to your Q and it would be more versatile. That being said, it's also huge & heavy compared to Q. Would you really be taking it with you on those trips? Would you be carrying it day in - day out? And it's also expensive & slippery slope!

So there are no right or wrong choices here, but definately preferences. Unless you need the extended range often, just stick with the Q.

Buying something Leica, if you're not sure how much you need it, is called G.A.S. It's found often in this forum and most members have been hit with a dose of it [emoji23]

I have the Q and M262 with Noctilux and 35/1.4 zm. And I'm in line for M10. If I were the sensible type and wasn't hit with G.A.S., I'd only have Q. The M and expensive lenses is pure luxury & indulgence for me. I enjoy using them quite a lot, but have no real need for any of it.

For travel camera Q is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

I am not sure if this comment of mine is helpful, but I have gone the circuit from R8 to Hy6 to M4 and Q over the course of many years, with backpacks on moutaintops and all that...

Have played with the SL in London - it's great! But it (gets) really heavy with a sizeable lens, and the bag is even worse when there are 2 or more in there.

At the end of the day my wrist was actually hurting (well OK, as a musician I don't do any heavy work with my hands!) so take that comment or leave it.

Furthermore, I have alwasy found that the bigger the camera and lens, the less comfortable people around you feel with travel photography.

Any M in my view is an absolutely perfect companion for travel; the Q is even better if you are working in a more 'documentary' style and want to work fast and carefree.

But of course they are all superb cameras with different strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by sumolux