Leica 30-90mm Vario-Elmar-S Review

Vieri

• 1 year later...

A potential alternative to the Leica S 30-90 Zoom is the Hasselblad 35-90mmH Lens. I use the lens wit the Leica S-H Adapter and it seems to work well for a zoom but I don't have access to aLeica 30-90mm Zoom for a direct comparison. The Hasselblad lens is very heavy and bulky and is best used on a tripod. The adapter does provide full aperture control, access to the leaf shutter and AF.

17 hours ago, fotophil said:

A potential alternative to the Leica S 30-90 Zoom is the Hasselblad 35-90mmH Lens. I use the lens wit the Leica S-H Adapter and it seems to work well for a zoom but I don't have access to aLeica 30-90mm Zoom for a direct comparison. The Hasselblad lens is very heavy and bulky and is best used on a tripod. The adapter does provide full aperture control, access to the leaf shutter and AF.

I never tried the Hassy, lens you mention, but I heard from people who had both and compared them that the S one is better, on the Leica S007.

9 hours ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

Another choice is the Contax 45-90mm. Great optics, economical and full 645 frame sensor ensure you only get the sweet spot when you adapt to S camera.

These were great lenses! If you don't need the wide end, it might be a great alternative :)

Best regards,

Vieri

I don’t really understand the seemingly bad reputation of the 30-90 zoom. I know landscape photographers who do stitching have had some comments on edge sharpness. When I sent in mine for change of AF motor, the report said that Leica also had done optical adjustments. Maybe there has been a “bad copy” problem.

I am very happy with mine, especially for walk-around, but I admit it becomes better with stopping down a bit.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:19 PM, erlingmm said:

I don’t really understand the seemingly bad reputation of the 30-90 zoom. I know landscape photographers who do stitching have had some comments on edge sharpness. When I sent in mine for change of AF motor, the report said that Leica also had done optical adjustments. Maybe there has been a “bad copy” problem.

I am very happy with mine, especially for walk-around, but I admit it becomes better with stopping down a bit.

I have 2 copies of the 30-90. First one is ok, not really spectacular like other fix focal lens and the second one was a lemon, unless stop all the way down. Both not as good as a 15 year old 45-90 I have...

With the three SL-zooms, Leica has demonstrated optical quality - throughout the respective focal length ranges - on par with (or above) most primes around. It's hard to know whether the market is sufficiently large for a new S-zoom or two, but it would stengthen the S-system imho.

A longer (eg 300mm) focal length would also be good, although the Hassey 300mm HC is a fine and on the used market, not too expensive, alternative. S users would also find a wide ts useful, I imagine. 

But it all boils down to the succes of the S3, whether the existing S-system will continue beyond S3, or if/when a mirror-less alternative will substitute todays optical system. 

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, helged said:

With the three SL-zooms, Leica has demonstrated optical quality - throughout the respective focal length ranges - on par with (or above) most primes around. It's hard to know whether the market is sufficiently large for a new S-zoom or two, but it would stengthen the S-system imho.

A longer (eg 300mm) focal length would also be good, although the Hassey 300mm HC is a fine and on the used market, not too expensive, alternative. S users would also find a wide ts useful, I imagine. 

But it all boils down to the succes of the S3, whether the existing S-system will continue beyond S3, or if/when a mirror-less alternative will substitute todays optical system. 

I agree with this, but have doubts about the growth of the S system unless it can be successful at a somewhat lower price point.  The fact that four years following the S007 there are no new lenses and only a sensor/color array change indicated for the S3 (no talk even of improved shutter/mirror damping, weight reduction or other changes or innovations), suggests to me that Leica did the bare minimum to keep the system in the MP game, which is all important for marketing, if not real need,  these days.  Perhaps it’s just an interim step to greater, more radical shifts (mirrorless?)  but so far the optical VF of the S has been given almost as much foundation to the system as the RF has to the M. And I can’t imagine that Leica will invest in a new S lens line for a mirrorless version.  

But maybe the S3 is the next step before we see more lenses for the currently designed system. I also would like to see some new zooms for the S akin to the SL zooms (quality-wise and with OIS), but I won’t hold my breath.  Of course new introductions require years of planning, so it will be interesting to see what Leica has in store... or not.  

I remember David Farkas commenting optimistically here about seeing new tele and zoom lenses for the S.... that was 7 years ago....

Jeff

I am sure that Leica would build the 350mm S lens if they thought there was a market for it.

Realistically, how many S customers would pay $15,000 or more for that lens? No professional would, that's for sure. You can rent a Canon or Nikon long lens for the day for 1% of that amount.

That means tooling-up for the benefit of a few collectors, and of the occasional over-equipped safari enthusiast. In other words, it's now a $20,000 lens because volumes are so low!

The lens that I am waiting for is the 55mm 2.8 that is available in the Thalia (cinema) range. Perhaps we will see it when the S3 becomes available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they can sell a 50mm F2 lens at 8000 dollars, they could probably sell a 350mm at 15,000...especially since the 30-90 was over 10,000. But as you say, the problem is likely more the number of buyers, rather than the price.  Personally, I think we are all kind of doomed in the S system. Lens pricing is one thing...Leica users are generally willing to spend a huge amount of money on lenses, and even pay a premium on bodies. That said, the bodies are usually the harder sell. In the current Leica Store Miami sale, they are selling a factory fresh 006 with a new CCD for 3750 dollars. That says A LOT about the market for MFD cameras in 2018. That was a 20,000+ dollar camera a short few years ago. Unless Leica really moves aggressively in price, even their small niche in the market is going to close. I can't imagine that even Medvedev would pay 20,000 dollars for an S these days. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

In case anyone is interested, my 30-90mm is up for sale on ebay.co.uk now for £4,700 (with free worldwide DHL postage). My Contax kit (Contax-Leica adapter, 35mm & 140mm lenses plus the Mutar 1.4x) are also up for sale.

I might bitterly regret selling it but I've managed to get a Phase One IQ180 and as I like wide angle lenses my converted Samyang 24mm lens now goes to 15mm compared to 19mm on my 006. My 006 has sensor corrosion so I can't afford to get that fixed and also own the IQ180.

It's frustrating as in the 30-90mm I have one of the best lenses out there (although my copy does need sending back to Wetzlar for recalibrating as the corners are really bad at 30mm - at 45mm to 90mm it's really good) but my 006 has bad sensor corrosion. In the IQ180 I have 80 megapixels and the ability to use smaller, lighter lenses (the IQ180 has a full-frame sensor) but the lenses I have are no way as good as Leica lenses. Only the Phase One Schneider Kreuznach Blue Ring lenses can match Leica S glass. It's a shame I can't use the 30-90mm on my 006!! 

• Thanks 1