Happy with your 75mm summicron APO?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Until now I've been using wider lens 28, 35 and also 50mm,  just recently purchased the 75mm for portraits, the results are very nice no doubt, but it also exhibits a lot of flair and blown out highlights, is this normal?   Does the 90mm APO usually perform better? 

Thank you for any comment!

• Like 1

Blown out highlights are not really caused by a lens - may be a very contrasty one like the 75mm Summicron has better light transmission than one with low contrast which reduces the brightness and so can reduce highlights to blow out as well. Though to see a real difference you have to compare very old designs with a modern aspherical. 

Flair may be a real issue with the 75mm Summicron. In certain situations (e.g. a wall with light from above) the lens seems to cause interior reflections. Customer Care can try to do something about this by concealing certain spots in the interior of the lens mount.  

Until now I've been using wider lens 28, 35 and also 50mm,  just recently purchased the 75mm for portraits, the results are very nice no doubt, but it also exhibits a lot of flair and blown out highlights, is this normal?   Does the 90mm APO usually perform better? 

Thank you for any comment!

Perhaps my favourite lens. IMHO blown highlights are due to overexposure - not a lens problem, as said - and the occasional flare ( never seen by me though),  can be spotted in advance in you EVF. Avoidable therefor!

I guess it depends on my mood. I'm always torn between the 75 lux and 75 APO. Usually I have the 75 APO, because of its size and it's filter size. It makes a great pair with the 28 lux. As with any lens exposure must be correct. This is my daily two lens kit whether it's the M240/6 or M7.

The design is based on the 50 lux which has to be one of the most popular leica lenses ever. I guess the real question is are you comfortable with the 75 focal length? It throws many people off and can cause much disappointment. I found that I liked it from my SLR days and even more when I used a 50 on my old M8...

Edited by Soden
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really like the 75mm - a more intimate 50mm which still my favourite FL along with 28mm).  

I originally bought the 75 APO-Summicron some 6 years ago and bought a 75 Summilux 3 years later. My plan was to see which I preferred and sell the least favourite. That was three years ago and I still have both lenses.

The 75 APO-Summicron pairs well with any of the more modern lenses: 21 SEM ASPH (and the 21 Smilax to some extent), 24 Elmar ASPH, 28 Summicron ASPH, 35 Summilux FLE. It of course renders identically to the 50 Summilux ASPH (which is an APO, just not marked as such). I'm sure the 75 APO- Summicron does indeed pair nicely with the 28 Summilux.

I think that as a very short telephoto the 75 APO-Summicron is a fabulous lens which I can't fault but mine did have to go back to Germany for recalibration under warranty as it was off out of the box!. I've had no significant flare problems nor overexposure which should not be the fault of the lens. I don't mind the short focus throw.  It's great for everything, including landscapes, but not for portraits as it's brutal on skin flaws and blemishes - too much detail.

Personally I do not pair the 75 Summilux with any of these lenses mentioned above as their rendering and colouring is entirely different. It really needs to go with a Mandler-era lens. My little 40 Summicron-C isn't bad, but I'm just about to take delivery of a pristine late production 35 Summicron IV.  I had considered an older 28mm (as suggested here some time ago), but I really only wanted one wider standard lens to take with 75 Summilux.  35mm is still a more versatile general-purpose FL, and I'll also have a compact general 35mm lens as the 35mm Summilux FLE is at times just too big.

What's a photography forum with out a photo?

Clearing rain off Bondi Beach, Sydney

M240, 2.0/75 APO-Summicron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 7

. I'm not a 35 mm fan.

Neither am I particularly but I've three 28mm lenses and only one big 35.

I needed something wide for the 75 Summilux, and if I'm going out for 'general' or family photography and only taking one compact lens I still think a 35mm Summicron is the best compromise.

Neither am I particularly but I've three 28mm lenses and only one big 35.

I needed something wide for the 75 Summilux, and if I'm going out for 'general' or family photography and only taking one compact lens I still think a 35mm Summicron is the best compromise.

That's why I went 21mm elmarit. It's kind of small and uses the same filters as the 75 lux. I can go portrait and use for group or landscape and have the choice for close portrait or full head on landscape.

I don't find the lack of frame lines a problem. It does take a little practice but it has an incredible hyper focal plane to compensate.

But that's one thing about M lenses is the selection from old and soft to new and uber sharp. We have a selection that no one else has.

Edited by Soden
  • Like 1

The Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph has very high sharpness combined with a beautiful rendition and nice bokeh. Performance is even across the frame at all apertures, vignetting is low, chromatic aberrations very low. So it could be the perfect 75 mm lens ... but—the built-in hood is totally worthless, there's an inclination to flare even in onnly mild back-light situations, especially at close range, and the focusing ring's throw is absurdly short so it's impossible to focus accurately (focus ring acquires coarse focus only, final adjustments must be accomplished by moving the body back and forth). So I consider this lens a failed design, despite the excellent optical performance.

The Summarit-M 75 mm, at wide apertures, has even better sharpness at the frame's center but isn't as even across the whole frame's area; it drops off slightly more than the Apo-Summicron towards the edges.

The Summilux-M 75 mm is softer than Summarit and Apo-Summicron at wide apertures but catches up admirably at medium apertures. It will flare occasionally but less often than the Apo-Summicron and in a more benign, almost beautiful way. It is a sort of Dr-Jekyll-and-Mr-Hyde character—charming portrait lens at wide apertures, tack-sharp landscape lens at medium and small apertures. And it's way easier, hence quicker and more accurately, to focus than the other two 75 mm lenses, thanks to the long focus throw. The obvious disadvantage is size and weight.

I wonder if there is an Apo-Summilux-M 75 mm Asph in development as we speak ... I wouldn't be surprised. But alas, no evidence yet.

• Like 5

@reddot925 -

You might try getting a lens hood for your 75 'cron such as:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11168-REG/B_W_65069625_49mm_Screw_In_Metal_Telephoto.html

I have a similar hood for my 90 'cron APO and it is good to have in situations where a bright light source hits the front element of the lens, or outdoors in bright sunlight.  The B+W #960 hood is intended for short telephoto lenses.  You might want to check before buying to find out if the #960 will cause vignetting with the 75 'cron.  If so, the shorter #950 will work - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11139-REG/B_W_65041210_49mm_Screw_In_Metal_Lens.html

I use a #960 with a 55mm thread diameter on my 90 'cron APO and have found it to be a great help in bright or uncontrolled lighting.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

The Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph has very high sharpness combined with a beautiful rendition and nice bokeh. Performance is even across the frame at all apertures, vignetting is low, chromatic aberrations very low. So it could be the perfect 75 mm lens ... but—the built-in hood is totally worthless, there's an inclination to flare even in onnly mild back-light situations, especially at close range, and the focusing ring's throw is absurdly short so it's impossible to focus accurately (focus ring acquires coarse focus only, final adjustments must be accomplished by moving the body back and forth). So I consider this lens a failed design, despite the excellent optical performance.

I say AMEN to the short focus throw on the 75mm APO. Great for fast focus, but tricky to get right sometimes. It's taken me a while to get used to the micron differences in placement of focus and something being in or out of focus and I still occasionally miss with it. It's helped a little just have gotten my M262 back from having the rangefinder adjusted. 

Even so, something at distance needs to be way out there to just be able to set the lens to infinity at f2 or f2.8. I love paring the 75 with my 35mm Summicron or 28mm Elmarit and have considered picking up a 75 Summarit that so many here have praised so highly, but the APO as so good when you do nail the focus.

M262 and Azaleas blooming at Lee Park in Dallas with the 75 APO..

L1017032-X2.jpg

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 4

I'm delighted with my 75mm APO summicron.   Attached is my favourite and only sporting action shot that I finally managed to get right.

Took it on manual setting -all fingers and thumbs trying to constantly focus and reset aperture!   It's about 75% cropped @ f2.8 1/1500  ISO160

• Like 8

Great lens if you need f/2 otherwise i prefer my 75/2.5 personally. It is shorter and lighter and my copy is not softer on edges and corners at all. Only issue is minimum focus distance of 0.9m but the later 75/2.4 goes down to 0.7m if i'm not wrong. I have no experience with the latter though. You cannot go wrong with either lens anyway. BTW the 75/2 is a FLE lens whose focusing action is not as smooth as that of the 75/2.5, on my copies at least. What i dislike in the 75/2.5 is its accessory hood. It is more effective than the built-in one of the 75/2 but it takes too long to screw and unscrew for my tastes. YMMV.

• Like 1

I'd just leave the hood screwed on and the lens facing down in its own slot in the bag so it's ready to shoot when you need it.

Sure but it is not a small lens anymore then and i cannot attach it to another lens as i'm used to in a small bag.

Summicron 75 and Macro-M-Adapter

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1