Leica T Firmware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I just purchased a NOS Leica T that came with firmware version 1.1. This topic may have been covered before, but I thought I'd save anyone buying a NOS T or someone wanting to update older (pre-1.5) firmware from pulling their hair out. Leica no longer lists the pre-1.51 firmware on the website. If you have T that is not up to that release, you cannot install the newer (1.61) firmware. I tried several SD cards with no luck, then contacted the Leica store in Wash, DC. Olivia there was able to send me the old updates - I installed them serially and all is well now (up to the current firmware). Thanks Olivia! I plan on saving the firmware in case someone down the road runs into this. I love the T by the way - got the 18-56 and 11-23 lenses as well and the Visoflex. I've never been fortunate enough to own a digital M, but have had all the X bodies and like the T much better.

Chuck

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Firmware 1.43 war meiner Meinung nach die Beste (wenn man schnell fotografieren will und auch ab und zu einen Schnappschuss)

Danach kam nur noch Objektivdatenbank (neue Linsen) und WLAN-Zeug für den amerikanischen Markt.

Würde gerne wieder downgraden....

• 1 month later...

I purchased a second hand Leica T and would like to do the updates.  The question I have is regarding initializing the memory card in the camera before loading the software onto it.  I've taken a number of photos with the camera without using a memory card.  I'm hoping the updates to the firmware will help me with transferring them onto my computer (or does that have to be onto my iPad?).  Anyway, my concern is that I don't want to lose those images.  Is it possible to keep them while initializing the card (used previously in a nikon and reformatted there already - but instructions say to reformat the card in the Leica)?  It's a bit like trying to figure out the chicken and the egg.

I purchased a second hand Leica T and would like to do the updates.  The question I have is regarding initializing the memory card in the camera before loading the software onto it.  I've taken a number of photos with the camera without using a memory card.  I'm hoping the updates to the firmware will help me with transferring them onto my computer (or does that have to be onto my iPad?).  Anyway, my concern is that I don't want to lose those images.  Is it possible to keep them while initializing the card (used previously in a nikon and reformatted there already - but instructions say to reformat the card in the Leica)?  It's a bit like trying to figure out the chicken and the egg.

You should really copy them off and onto your computer before doing any updates although they shouldn't be deleted it is always wise to preserve your data before any update.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response, John.  I read the manual and discovered I could copy the images onto the memory card.  What a relief to have them on the computer now.

I would love to learn how to copy my settings on a memory card!

But to copy a "shot" is important if you wish to follow the numbering of your photos after updating the firmware.

Louis, I'm confused when you say you would love to learn how to copy your settings onto a memory card.  You can copy your images that are stored in the camera onto the card.  Just go through the camera's menu until you find the option "copy". 

Thanks for all the info here. I'm actually on the brink of buying a new Leica T + the 18-56. I'll be needing to do the firmware updates up to 1.6, so when I'm ready I'll come back to this page and make sure I have everything correct.

Louis, I'm confused when you say you would love to learn how to copy your settings onto a memory card.  You can copy your images that are stored in the camera onto the card.  Just go through the camera's menu until you find the option "copy". 

lilie,

I know about copying images to a card. But when it is said copying the "settings" into a card, I really get confused! For me, the settings of a camera is how you set your camera, and I had no idea you can copy that to a card, and then put it back to the camera after  a new firmware!... 

I also do know that if you keep on a card the last shot with the previous firmware, and then you shoot on the same card after loading the new firmware, you can have the continuation of the photo numbering. If you do not do that, each time you upgrade a new firmware, your photos start from "1".

But this is not copying the "Settings"; unless there is something else that I am not aware of? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how to determine the firmware level of TL LENSES?  I have two (11-23, 23-56) which were purchased new in the box.  The only indication of firmware level is a sticker on the back cap saying "use only with a T at at least firmware level 1.2."  I gather that level was passed long ago.  Have subsequent upgrades to T firmware involved lens firmware updates as well?

Thanks for any information.  I am using these on my SL, as they are great for video.

scott 

The 35 1.4 TL says to only use with software update newer than 1.4.

Rob

Does anyone know how to determine the firmware level of TL LENSES?  I have two (11-23, 23-56) which were purchased new in the box.  The only indication of firmware level is a sticker on the back cap saying "use only with a T at at least firmware level 1.2."  I gather that level was passed long ago.  Have subsequent upgrades to T firmware involved lens firmware updates as well?

Thanks for any information.  I am using these on my SL, as they are great for video.

scott 

Edited by ropo54

Jono Slack has probably done more firmware installs on his several Ts than anyone here.  He tells me that there continue to be lens firmware upgrades that come with the more recent T firmware.  So for owners of T lenses manufactured some time ago who want to use them on an SL, it is a good idea to find a T or TL, load it with the latest firmware, and bring the lenses up to spec.  Hunt's Camera (which has acquired most of the small camera shops in the Boston area) has offered to help me do that, if I can get to them before their only T sells on e-Bay...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This week, I bought my very first Leica: a pre-owned Leica T.

Unfortunately I am also running into an Firmware update issue. Although the Camera Information is telling me that FW 1.2 is installed, I am not able to install any newer FW. I tried 1.4.3, 1.5.5, 1.6.1. The update dialog is telling me, that the system is up-to-date. Is there a way to force a FW update? I already contacted the Leica Support via email, but I am still waiting for there reply.

Could it be that the previous owner messed up with one of the previous FW updates?

Cheers

Andre

• 11 months later...