Best medium telephoto portrait lens on SL? 80 1.4 R, 75 1.4, other?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone used the 80 1.4 R, or the 75 1.4 lens on the SL 601?

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on the 80 1.4 R, the 75 1.4, or any other recommended medium telephoto lenses to be used on the SL.

(I see there are some nice recent comments about the Sigma 85 1.4).

Thanks,

Rob

I have used the SL24-90 and SL 90-280 @ 90mm, as well as the Summicron-R 90, Summarit-M 75, Macro-Elmarit-R 60, and Nikon-H 85/1.8 pre-AI on the SL for portraits. All of them perform very well. They each give a somewhat different rendering ... hard to say which someone else would like best.

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

R 80, 90, 100 are ok, M 75, 90 are ok. For many the Apos are too "crisp". (R or M)

But the best is the SL 90-280, because of OIS and high AF speed and precision. It always gives a lot of keepers. Even in carneval or in other "difficult circumstances".

If you rely on results it is clearly the best. If you take pics for fun, it does not matter which one. The R 135 is also nice, or the Nikon DC 135. Even a R 180 (there are many to choose from). Or the R 80-200 or 70-180.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 2

80/1.4 R is great .....  a good size for the SL, easy to focus, super image quality.

Far cheaper than the 75/1.4 M and easier to find. 

As Caissa says, the 90-280 is outstanding for portraits...... and anyway using f1.4 for portraits causes more trouble than the occasionally interesting effects it produces...... it helps to have nose, eyes and ears in focus most of the time. 

It is big but this is only an issue in carrying it about ...... in use you hardly notice the size and the very accurate fast AF is really useful. 

Of course there is going to be a multi thousand $ differential in outlay ...... but you are covering 4 major prime focal lengths 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the M90/2 apo and the M 75/1.4, as well as the 24-90SL.

I favour the M lens and shoot them wide open. I like that effect, else why have such fast lenses. If I could only have one lens of the 3 for portrait it would be the 75/1.4. Softer more dreamy look. Though if I wanted to show gritty images then the 90 because of how sharp it is.

I haven't used the zoom for this purpose - I think it is of a size it would change the dynamic betters photographer and subject - an untested proposition, and possibly subject related. But smaller gear is less intimidating in some situations.

I understand the R 85 and M 75 have similar design - correct me if I'm wrong, just something I've read on other threads.

Now all this being said I'm very interested in the 75 and 90 sl offerings. I would never sell the 75 lux, but will seriously consider selling the m 90 and getting the 90-sl. I'm anticipating even better performance and this is one lense where AF would be nice.

Hope this helps

M

• Like 2

Leica only, or any brand?

Because in non-Leica there are a bunch. Zeiss 100MP, Zeiss Otus 85mm, Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art etc.....

Gordon

I would welcome all recommendations, not necessarily Leica, but having the SL601 I would likely lean in that direction. But, I'm "all ears" (or should I say "eyes").

The Leica 90-280 is a tempting solution, but the size would be an impediment to me wanting to have it. This is not for studio/professional work, but rather for 'fun' purposes. I should have made that clear earlier.

• Like 1

I would welcome all recommendations, not necessarily Leica, but having the SL601 I would likely lean in that direction. But, I'm "all ears" (or should I say "eyes").

The Leica 90-280 is a tempting solution, but the size would be an impediment to me wanting to have it. This is not for studio/professional work, but rather for 'fun' purposes. I should have made that clear earlier.

Well the tests on the Sigma Art 85 with the Novoflex adaptor seem to indicate that it's brilliant and AF is good. HUGE lens but optically superb seems to be the consensus.

There are mentions of it in this forum on the adapted lens thread. I have the adaptor and plan to do some testing when I can get to a store next week.

For manual focus I'll add the massively underrated CV 75mm 1.8 in M mount. All portraity (new word!!) wide open and sharp as a tack stopped down.

I do love a great short tele....

Gordon

Yes, I have seen some of the forum comments on the Sigma 85 1.4 and the AF aspect is tempting. Would like to see the bokeh from it.

I have heard nice things about the CV 75 1.8 as well, but the bokeh looked a bit "busy". Is that your experience? It certainly is bargain priced, particularly on the pre-owned market.

I have an opportunity to acquire a Leica R 80 1.4 and just cannot decide whether to stay away from it, so am weighing options.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by ropo54

The R sounds like a good option. Assuming a private sale, You will always get your money back. Do you have adapter?

Have you researched the images from the M 75 (and similarly R 85)? My guess is you will love the bokeh.

M

• Like 1

The R sounds like a good option. Assuming a private sale, You will always get your money back. Do you have adapter?

Have you researched the images from the M 75 (and similarly R 85)? My guess is you will love the bokeh.

M

M,

I can purchase the 80 1.4 for just under $2K USD, and the lens is in excellent condition. 

I will need to purchase an adapter. I'm told the novaflex R to M (I have the M to SL) or the R to SL will work just fine. The Leica R adapter seems a tad pricey.

Rob

• Like 1

Not a fan of the 80 f/1.4 R. I wasn't a fan of it on my R9/DMR back in the day and not motivated to use it on the SL. Back in my R days, I opted for incredible 90 APO, which is about the same size as a 50 Lux R. Much better image quality and mechanics. The 80 can be stiff to focus, just like the 75 Lux on the M.

For my SL shooting, the 24-90 does most of the heavy lifting and is quite nice wide-open at 90. If you must have something small and with a faster aperture, I'd recommend the 75 APO. Just a lovely portrait lens. Here's a shot I took with the 75 APO on the M240:

L1008988-1800x1200px.jpg

If you wanted to stick withing the SL system with native glass, check out the 50 Lux SL or wait for the soon-to-be-released 75 and 90 APO Summicron-SL lenses. If you want to see samples, I just published my in-depth review of the 50 SL. While a shorter focal length, that lens can offer some stunning portraits. Here's an example - more in my review: Leica Summilux-SL 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Review: A New Standard

L1090633.jpg

• Like 4

Not a fan of the 80 f/1.4 R. I wasn't a fan of it on my R9/DMR back in the day and not motivated to use it on the SL. Back in my R days, I opted for incredible 90 APO, which is about the same size as a 50 Lux R. Much better image quality and mechanics. The 80 can be stiff to focus, just like the 75 Lux on the M.

For my SL shooting, the 24-90 does most of the heavy lifting and is quite nice wide-open at 90. If you must have something small and with a faster aperture, I'd recommend the 75 APO. Just a lovely portrait lens. Here's a shot I took with the 75 APO on the M240:

L1008988-1800x1200px.jpg

If you wanted to stick withing the SL system with native glass, check out the 50 Lux SL or wait for the soon-to-be-released 75 and 90 APO Summicron-SL lenses. If you want to see samples, I just published my in-depth review of the 50 SL. While a shorter focal length, that lens can offer some stunning portraits. Here's an example - more in my review: Leica Summilux-SL 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Review: A New Standard

L1090633.jpg

David,

Thank you. Those are outstanding!  

FYI, Josh had told me the same thing today regarding the 80 1.4. I'm a local and Leica Miami was actually where I'd purchased my SL and 24-90, so I'll thank you for that as well.

I am definitely considering the 75 f2 and 90 f2. (I have a Noctilux and a Zeiss 50 f2 so would prefer to go with something a little longer, for a bit more diversity).

Btw, I'd give everyone at Leica Miami a big plug, as they are all super helpful and just a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

Well I agree with the awesomeness of the 90-280, which I am just beginning to explore.  But the APO 90 Summicron R is a lot easier to handle and less scary for a friendly portrait session in the family, such as

31883241616_64fba4d86a_o.jpgS1030217 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and the 80 SX-R (which I don't use much at 1.4 either, more typical being f/2 to f/4), is gentler on subjects older than this one...

31113713095_9256d19526_o.jpgS1030141 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

but now I'll go read David's latest review...

scott

• Like 2