So, it's finally happened....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After 3 years of careful ownership I have finally managed to drop my M240, and not once, but twice, in the space of about 2 minutes!! Over concrete. From a height of a couple of feet.....

Nice little dent on the left hand edge of the top plate and a rangefinder so out if whack I could only focus if I was drunk!

Can't believe I was so stupid. Forgot to zip up my bag and then, after checking the camera over after the first drop, then managed to repeat the error!! Not a good morning... And to top it all I'm due to fly to New York on the 1st April!

Luckily the EVF option is still ok for focusing, so all is but lost, and the rest of the camera seems fine. Tough bit of kit indeed.

I'm assuming turn around time for repair back at Leica is not an option before the trip, but does anyone know how long it would take to repair anyway?

Also, as it's covered by insurance, I wonder whether Leica would choose to replace the top plate? It is mostly cosmetic damage, nothing bent out of shape, but I don't know whether they would suggest it at the same time.

Thanks

Daniel

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I left mine at Leica Mayfair yesterday for RF recalibration after dropping it, from a foot or so, onto a carpeted floor - not too far out, but far enough to be annoying. I was told 4-6 weeks.

Smart move, dropping it twice. You've invested in your bad luck all in one go, and for only one set of repair costs. I wish I'd thought that far ahead!  :)

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies, I guessed the repair time was going to be too long.

Just tried working out how to focus with it out of alignment. As long as the rangefinder image is slightly to the right and slightly above the viewfinder image I can nail it! :-) ;-). If I weren't so p*ssed off it would be hilarious...

Looks like it's EVF only for the next few weeks.

Daniel

I don't know if this voids the warrant, but if it doesn't (and if I were you :p) I'd try to attempt a quick fix of the rangefinder myself, using the usual method of checking infinity alignment and then check alignment at minimal focus distance, and adjust accordingly and repeat the checks until I'm satisfied that I can manage reasonably well to obtain focus (or know how much to compensate for). 

Just a thought~

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to hear that. But then again your quota of bad luck is over. :)

I like the idea of EVF only camera after RF goes out of whack. From now on I will travel with the EVF. Just in case.

BTW, I dropped mine from three feet on a rock last year. Mine was in neoprene pouch and bottom plate took the impact. Neoprene got cut and I have a nice notch on the bottom plate. My RF worked fine afterwords. I think my neoprene pouch helped absorb part of the impact.

and yes, don't expect faster turnaround than 6 weeks. Hope you have fixed camera soon.

After 3 years of careful ownership I have finally managed to drop my M240, and not once, but twice, in the space of about 2 minutes!! Over concrete. From a height of a couple of feet.....

Nice little dent on the left hand edge of the top plate and a rangefinder so out if whack I could only focus if I was drunk!

Can't believe I was so stupid. Forgot to zip up my bag and then, after checking the camera over after the first drop, then managed to repeat the error!! Not a good morning... And to top it all I'm due to fly to New York on the 1st April!

Luckily the EVF option is still ok for focusing, so all is but lost, and the rest of the camera seems fine. Tough bit of kit indeed.

I'm assuming turn around time for repair back at Leica is not an option before the trip, but does anyone know how long it would take to repair anyway?

Also, as it's covered by insurance, I wonder whether Leica would choose to replace the top plate? It is mostly cosmetic damage, nothing bent out of shape, but I don't know whether they would suggest it at the same time.

Thanks

Daniel

Normally they will replace the top plate and return the damaged plate with the repaired camera.

I wanted to understand what are the reasons for camera drops. I myself have dropped it by kicking tripod (no more leaving camera on tall tripod unattended) and from a high ledge using self timer for selfie (no more unstable platform). I have never dropped it from strap or from my hand. I don't use a bag therefore I haven't encountered camera spilling out of open bag.

Any other cause of camera drop so that we can be more mindful?

I've managed three drops in the past year.  One was a lens which rolled off a chair onto a stone floor.  The aperture ring is stiff when going from f/2 to f/1.4 but its picture-taking seems unaffected.  More colorful was a recent simultaneous two-camera drop.  The cameras were on top of a bureau about four feet high, when our acrobatic cat jumped up to see what was there.  When yelled at, she jumped back off, but got tangled in two of the cameras.  There was about 3/8" of carpet over a stone floor, and both cameras hit on their bottoms and seem fine.

scott

I sent my M262 to NJ for a rangefinder calibration and cleaning under warranty in mid-January and it came back about two weeks ago, so 4-6 weeks is probably a good estimate.

The parts question is where things could get more time-intensive, if there's something they need that's not in stock and they have to wait for  part(s) from Germany. If your timing is good and they receive a shipment of parts soon, all the better. If not, well, it could be a while.

Edited by Gregm61

I've managed three drops in the past year.  One was a lens which rolled off a chair onto a stone floor.  The aperture ring is stiff when going from f/2 to f/1.4 but its picture-taking seems unaffected.  More colorful was a recent simultaneous two-camera drop.  The cameras were on top of a bureau about four feet high, when our acrobatic cat jumped up to see what was there.  When yelled at, she jumped back off, but got tangled in two of the cameras.  There was about 3/8" of carpet over a stone floor, and both cameras hit on their bottoms and seem fine.

scott

Alright.. I will add "beware of cats" to my list of precautions.. :)

Glad, your cameras were fine though.

scott

Never yell at a cat ......it scares them usually the doing more damage....my experience with a new Sport Jacket

Man a double ...... that cat would be violin strings

I know ......violin strings are not made from cat guts;-)

Worst drop: about ten years ago:

Camera (M8) and me took a wrong turn in the pitch dark and went down a small cliff. The camera bounced down  the rocks about six meters., the photographer two.

Damage: deep dents in the top plate, bottom plate bent, cracked body, rangefinder out of adjustment, shutter knocked into wrong position and blocked, focusing ring on lens blocked. Abrasions, bumps and mildly twisted ankle.

The camera spent two weeks in  Solms hospital, the photographer took six weeks to lose the marks.

Total cost 1800: Euro for new shutter, top plate, front body shell, bottom plate and adjustment.

Now you may well ask: What was I doing outside in the pitch dark with an M8? Honest answer I really don't recall.

Anyway I blame the camera. It is well known that it has poor night vision. ;)

• Like 3

Worst drop: about ten years ago:

Camera (M8) and me took a wrong turn in the pitch dark and went down a small cliff. The camera bounced down  the rocks about six meters., the photographer two.

Damage: deep dents in the top plate, bottom plate bent, cracked body, rangefinder out of adjustment, shutter knocked into wrong position and blocked, focusing ring on lens blocked. Abrasions, bumps and mildly twisted ankle.

The camera spent two weeks in  Solms hospital, the photographer took six weeks to lose the marks.

Total cost 1800: Euro for new shutter, top plate, front body shell, bottom plate and adjustment.

Now you may well ask: What was I doing outside in the pitch dark with an M8? Honest answer I really don't recall.

Anyway I blame the camera. It is well known that it has poor night vision. ;)

.. and you don't appreciate high ISO nigh vision capability of M10. :D

Glad that everything was ok at the end though.

• Like 1