Leica NJ Lens Calibration Service

Leicauser7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm curious to know how many people have used NJ to recalibrate their lens(es) and had them returned perfectly calibrated on the first try. I am asking bc I have a lens that is under warranty that is not calibrated correctly and I'm wondering is it worth trying NJ or bite the bullet, go straight to DAG, pay the $100 or so he charges and know it will come back reasonably quickly and perfectly calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJ prefers to have camera sent along with lenses, even though they are calibrated to independent standards. I last did this 8 years ago with an M8.2 and 3 lenses. All came back fine within 2 weeks. Can't speak to current turnaround.

That said, I've had Don perform other lens service (sticky focus action on 50 Summilux ASPH), fast and inexpensively, after NJ said nothing could be improved.

NJ should, however, be fully capable of basic calibration.

Jeff

Any info re: what % of brand new lenses have to go back for calibration? Shouldn't Leica get it right the first time?

YES THEY SHOULD! Apart from the inconvenience it causes, I can only imagine the number of users that struggle to get good results and ultimately don't benefit from the full quality of the Leica M system bc the factory calibration QC hasn't historically been where it needs to be.... and many users simply don't realize it... such a shame...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Leicauser7
  • Like 1

This Leica stuff is pretty sturdy but not made of cast iron.

I think it unfair and uneducated to blame everything on QC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUJmT2h3-4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3SRG7D21Y

With respect, then whose fault is it?  A properly calibrated lens would rarely go out of calibration just from being shipped from point A to point B. 

One or two.

I've had to send 4 out 6 lenses in. All came back perfect.

The truth is, I didn't originally know about mis-calibration issues. My old m240 had trouble being in focus so I thought it was me. Live View was perfect always. Then when I learnt about calibration, I manually calibrated my camera to the lens. But it was the lenses that were out. When I finally figured that out, after sending in an obviously mia-calibrated 90mm cron (it wouldn't rotate to infinity), and although it came back perfect using a demo camera at the store, I couldn't get my M240 calibrated to the 90. Possibly because my 35 lux and 50 notci were way off. I gave up and got rid of the M240 for an SL to avoid this issue. And I swore off RF.

I suspect this is happens in many cases with people starting off with Leica RF bodies. We blame ourselves for poor focus because this was never an issue with older SLR and newer DSLR cameras. It was never an issue.

Then I played with the m10, really enjoyed the ease of focus with the 90, knew it was properly calibrated, bought it, sent in my other lenses mis-calibrated lenses which all came back the way they should have been. Now I love RF focusing and do it very quickly wide open. And now I understand 90% of the comments about MF using the OVF.

I suspect it Leica insured their lenses and bodies were calibrated to the same spec, many more people would adopt RF and appreciate it as I now do.

• Like 2

Yes, exactly!! Leica, if you are reading this, improving the qc of m lens and camera calibration will pay for itself 10X in terms of less warranty repairs, less frustrated customers and more positive m experiences, particularly for customers new to the system... which is many these days. From what I have read the qc of M10 calibration had been very high but m lense calibration qc still has a long ways to go...

Edited by Leicauser7

Back to the original question. I've sent several in for focus and\or CLA  to N.J.. They have always been returned with optimal focus, whether warranty or paid work. Speed, well that is another question. Regards, Ron