Would a MOOLY B work on a Reid and Sigrist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there any reason a MOOLY B single speed clockwork motor drive would not work on a Reid and Sigrist Model 3 (type 2)? In that mine already uses a Leica IIIB bottom plate, I am guessing possibly not. If anyone has both these items, I should be very grateful if they could try them together to see if they work or maybe someone has already tried it. I have been offered a chrome MOOLY B at a semi-reasonably price. It has a serial number way below 5000, so it must be one for the shorter body IIIA & B cameras not the longer body IIIC and successors. I don't know how the MOOLY  transfers its drive to both the sprocket and take up spool as it only seems to have a single drive shaft. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the original MOOLY and two Reid and Sigrist cameras. My recollection is that the operating lever will not fit over the tall shutter collar (with a slot) on the Reid models. I have to go out now to do a photo presentation but I will check this when I get back.

William

• Like 1

I have had a chance to look at this issue this afternoon. If you remove the collar around the Reid shutter button, you can get the operating lever on, but things are very tight. It is also a tight squeeze to fit the MOOLY on the base of a Reid camera.  I have two Reid cameras, a I and a III, and the MOOLY will fit on both but it will not operate properly. The operating lever remains stuck and it will not work the shutter. I tried it on both cameras and it was the same with both. On re-fitting on a Leica III it worked perfectly as usual.

Just one further word of warning about the MOOLY. It is a somewhat 'moody' device that will work better on some cameras than on others. This also applies to the SCNOO and the SYOOM (early Leicavit) which I also have. This seems to be related to changes made to the position of the wind-on spindle during during a CLA. It may be necessary in some cases to send the camera and winder to a technician to have both matched.

William

• Like 1

Many thanks William. I think therefore, I will leave the MOOLY with its current owner. They tend to get very expensive on film and you lose the USP of the LTM cameras, their tiny size and light weight. I already have a clockwork motor drive on my Graflex Combat Graphic and can chew through 70mm film at a rate of knots with that.  

Wilson