Another good customer experience with Leica

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I moved from Munich, Germany to Horgen, Switzerland (near Zurich) eleven days ago. I am not far from Sinar, which is owned by Leica. I had a planned visit by one of the Wetzlar people this week. He had known that I would be moving to Switzerland and planned a visit shortly after my arrival.

I was delivered a 24mm Super Elmar-S for testing and I had several lenses picked up for servicing by Wetzlar.

It was confirmed that there are continuing developments on the S. Those that speculate that the S is finished, are wrong. I was asked my opinion about higher pixel counts for the S, and my opinion is that for image quality I do not require more pixels. However, I acknowledge that for marketing purposes it may be necessary. I also repeated the need for longer exposures. I do not have any inside information on what will be delivered in the near future. Leica is very tight-lipped about planned releases.

I can also confirm again that the lens motor solution is tested and proven. Any failed lenses will be fixed with the new engine. The majority of lenses manufactured do not have defects, therefore the majority of lenses in circulation will not need to be fixed.

As many have written on this forum, there is a difference in the level of support that is provided by Wetzlar versus that which is provided in the U.S. There have already been measures implemented in the U.S., which should improve the situation. The facilities and systems have been upgraded, which should improve the workflow.

Finally, I am free to inform about an interesting new camera that will be released by Sinar. It is a modular camera, which takes the Sinar S back and S lenses. From the photos, it looks compact. I hope to visit Sinar in the next month to get a first-hand look at it.

Things are getting interesting.

Jesse

This is my new neighborhood

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

That's encouraging news.  We shall see....hopefully soon.  My local Leica store rep (in the US) did not think service issues would be resolved in NJ for quite some time; it would be nice to see otherwise....and to finally get an official statement from Leica on the lens issue/solution/process and timing, even though your post is appreciated.  Silence breeds rumors and discontent.

Surely Leica has already decided about MP, etc, if in fact there is another model in the works.  Did you sense that they were merely trying to gauge your reaction/interest to a forthcoming model?

Oh, and nice new neighborhood.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great news about the new Sinar camera.

I have been a Sinar-M modular camera before it was dropped by Sinar and was left unsupported.

I hope that a new modular camera will be made less expensive than the original Sinar -M.

That's encouraging news.  We shall see....hopefully soon.  My local Leica store rep (in the US) did not think service issues would be resolved in NJ for quite some time; it would be nice to see otherwise....and to finally get an official statement from Leica on the lens issue/solution/process and timing, even though your post is appreciated.  Silence breeds rumors and discontent.

Surely Leica has already decided about MP, etc, if in fact there is another model in the works.  Did you sense that they were merely trying to gauge your reaction/interest to a forthcoming model?

Oh, and nice new neighborhood.

Jeff

Dear Jeff,

I think you should start doubting the things that your rep is telling you. Everything that Leica has told me has shown to be true and the reports from your rep sound more like manipulation. To what purpose, I could not tell.

In the U.S., Leica is testing new processes with the Leica dealer in Miami. My guess is that your rep is not from that dealer.

With respect to Leica asking my opinion, I am but one of many who provide input. Their decisions on what to include in the next release will probably be based on expectations from their target market. That may or may not include the type of photographer that I am. There is genuine interest in my satisfaction and I am genuinely interested in the success of Leica. Therefore, I am available to them for whatever purpose I can provide valuable input.

The neighborhood is indeed nice. After three years in flat Munich, I need to get my mountain legs back. ;)

Jesse

• Like 1

No, it not this camera. This is an S mounted on a view camera. The new camera is compact, and the photos that I saw did not show movements. It uses the Sinar S sensor on the back and S lenses on the front.

I would like to see a standard Graflok plate with S lens bayonet to enable mounting an S camera to any standard view camera. When I visit Sinar, I will try to remember to ask for it.

Jesse

Great news about the new Sinar camera.

I have been a Sinar-M modular camera before it was dropped by Sinar and was left unsupported.

I hope that a new modular camera will be made less expensive than the original Sinar -M.

My guess is that the sensor plus camera will be similar cost to an S, and possibly less.

Jesse

• Like 1

Dear Jeff,

I think you should start doubting the things that your rep is telling you. Everything that Leica has told me has shown to be true and the reports from your rep sound more like manipulation. To what purpose, I could not tell.

In the U.S., Leica is testing new processes with the Leica dealer in Miami. My guess is that your rep is not from that dealer.

With respect to Leica asking my opinion, I am but one of many who provide input. Their decisions on what to include in the next release will probably be based on expectations from their target market. That may or may not include the type of photographer that I am. There is genuine interest in my satisfaction and I am genuinely interested in the success of Leica. Therefore, I am available to them for whatever purpose I can provide valuable input.

The neighborhood is indeed nice. After three years in flat Munich, I need to get my mountain legs back. ;)

Jesse

The rep I spoke with was from the Leica Store nearby. That person was presumably giving an opinion about their experience with NJ service, which was characterized as a work in progress that would likely take quite a while to fix. This was the first time I asked anyone there about the situation.

As for your being asked about product needs, you missed the point of my question. New products take years to bring to market, and it seems that basic sensor attributes like MP would be part of early discussions. If so, any research now would be for some model.that is a long way from market, not something imminent. That's the only reason I asked if you got the sense if something was on the horizon sooner than later (for the S, not some new Sinar product).

Jeff

So we could be looking forwards to something like...

An S CS lens mounted to a S-CS adaptor (with maybe tilt/shift capability) camera, along with a Sinar 30/45 back sensor-type construct?

Wow, Leica/Sinar's answer to the Phase One A-series!!

Fabulous, can't wait!!

(Would still prefer to see 60Mp as well though.)

Oh, and please get rid of the mandatory dark frame/long exposure limitation.

@Jesse,

Thank you for the great and encouraging news, especially about the continued refinement of the S system and the service improvements for those of us here in the U.S. 

Congratulations on your move to Switzerland.  The image you made of your new neighborhood is truly stunning!  It looks like you have moved to a paradise in the mountains... 

• Like 1

So we could be looking forwards to something like...

An S CS lens mounted to a S-CS adaptor (with maybe tilt/shift capability) camera, along with a Sinar 30/45 back sensor-type construct?

Wow, Leica/Sinar's answer to the Phase One A-series!!

Fabulous, can't wait!!

(Would still prefer to see 60Mp as well though.)

Oh, and please get rid of the mandatory dark frame/long exposure limitation.

I hope I did not imply there is tilt shift because I did not see it.

Jesse

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

As for your being asked about product needs, you missed the point of my question. New products take years to bring to market, and it seems that basic sensor attributes like MP would be part of early discussions. If so, any research now would be for some model.that is a long way from market, not something imminent. That's the only reason I asked if you got the sense if something was on the horizon sooner than later (for the S, not some new Sinar product).

Still haven't gotten a response to this.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

No, not at all!

Just me and my wishful thinking!!

;)

A shift solution with the new Sinar S3045 back is available with our Sinar LanTec camera. It works with Sinaron lenses from 23 to 180 mm. Due to the video capability of the back it is also capable to capture video with lens shift. Live view does work via WiFi with an external iPad as well, so image composition can be done easily on a big screen.

http://sinar.swiss/news/the-sinarback-s-3045-bundled-with-the-sinar-lantec/

A shift solution with the new Sinar S3045 back is available with our Sinar LanTec camera. It works with Sinaron lenses from 23 to 180 mm. Due to the video capability of the back it is also capable to capture video with lens shift. Live view does work via WiFi with an external iPad as well, so image composition can be done easily on a big screen.

http://sinar.swiss/news/the-sinarback-s-3045-bundled-with-the-sinar-lantec/

I made a visit to Sinar last week and the LanTec was shown to me. It is a very nice solution. I also saw the prototype adapter, which connects S lenses to the S3045 back. I imagine that it may be useful to someone who already has the S3045 back and also wants to use S lenses.

For the moment, I am using the S. I miss movements. If I find that I cannot function without them, the LanTec would be a solution I would consider.

Jesse

• Like 1