Leica ME CCD replacement

jiheng779

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone,

I bought a used Leica ME but recently I found out the CCD was corrosion. Sadly I lost my warranty last year. Its there any suggest how can I get leica CCD replace?

post-54603-0-55069000-1489195795_thumb.p

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Everyone,

I bought a used Leica ME but recently I found out the CCD was corrosion. Sadly I lost my warranty last year. Its there any suggest how can I get leica CCD replace?

post-54603-0-55069000-1489195795_thumb.p

Leica will replace a corroded sensor for free. Contact Leica.

Welcome to the Leica Forum.

You've just been introduced to a foible of Leica...but they back themselves with a free guaranteed replacement...and you end up with a serviced camera with new wrapping.

It will be a bit of a wait, so just use another camera, and look forward to having your camera back...waiting makes the heart grow fonder.

It's best to contact Leica Service first instance...they will direct you from there.

We look forward to some of your pictures.

all best...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome to the Leica Forum.

You've just been introduced to a foible of Leica...but they back themselves with a free guaranteed replacement...and you end up with a serviced camera with new wrapping.

It will be a bit of a wait, so just use another camera, and look forward to having your camera back...waiting makes the heart grow fonder.

It's best to contact Leica Service first instance...they will direct you from there.

We look forward to some of your pictures.

all best...

Thank you David, I know if I send to repair CCD gonna take almost 4 months. I hope Leica will fix it for free, but its there any better way to contact them? Because I leave message to them and email them couple times, no response so far.

Best regard

I sent my M9, purchased used and so not only out of warranty but also second-hand, to New Jersey in November 2016 without confirming it beforehand. Two months after delivery, I sent them a follow-up email enquiring as to my camera's status. A week later, my camera was returned, fully serviced. I have no idea whether my inquiry helped prioritize the work or not; I never received a reply to my email.

Anyhow, I'll be comfortable sending a camera or lens to them without arranging for service beforehand, and I'll probably follow up with polite inquiries every month or so thereafter. It seems communication is a more substantial bottleneck for them than the actual repairs.

To step up on a soapbox: such a slow and non-communicative level of service is definitely something I will consider before potentially investing further in the Leica ecosystem. I'd like to see Leica provide more support to its U.S. service team, which appears to mean more people rather than further investment in CRM tools.

Hope this is useful,

Jon

My M-E just came down with the dreaded corrosion too. Thankfully I'm within an hour of the new Leica store in Boston. After reading all the stories of New Jersey in this forum I decided to contact the store. I'm dropping the camera off today - they have been most helpful and will handle everything for me. If you live near a Leica store, you may want to try that route rather than sending your M-E directly to New Jersey. It won't shorten the repair time (14 weeks + is what I'm being told) but at least you will have a good point of contact.

Edited by AlanT