Post pictures on forum and their size

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Trying to figure out the simplest way to post the highest detail picture on forum out of Lightroom.

Upload limits to 500kb but I see larger pic posted and Lightroom won't let limit me picture to 500kb.

Thanks for your advice

Edited by MarkinVan

• 1 year later...

I am also having a problem.

I took the photo on my phone( for Coffee and a Camera thread), and resized it on a resizing phone app to 198 kb, 1280 on the longest side.

When I try to attach it, I get a message that I'm not permitted to upload this type of file.

Any ideas why? Do I need a minimum number of posts before I can add photos, maybe?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by ash13brook

• 3 months later...

Is there anywhere on the forum that spells out the options and requirements for posting images? The 500KB I understand. What about max and recommended size for portrait and landscape?

Also some places say the images must have been taken with Leica equipment. What about mixtures? e.g. Leica camera and different lens? or vice versa? And I presume non-Leica flash, filters, tripods, leather cases etc. are OK.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are guidelines all over the place. However, to recapitulate:

All images must be taken with Leica gear; i.e a Leica lens, a Leica camera, or a combination of both. So an Olympus lens on a Leica CL is allowed, a Summicron M on an Olympus Pen is allowed, but an Olympus lens on an Olympus camera is not, even if you use a Leica  UV filter.
Non-Leica images are allowed if they are taken to illustrate a point which falls within the scope of the forum, e.g. for comparison purposes, to illustrate a technical point or to show Leica equipment, etc.
Images that fall outside these guidelines will be deleted without notification. 

Images may have a maximum size of 1280 pixels on the longest edge and 500 kB, 1000 kB for sponsoring members.
Images displayed by linking to a  hosting site are subject to the same rules.
So you may not link to a large Flickr image by BB or IMG code, but you may give a "pure" link. It is good manners to warn that the link leads to a large file.

Images for display are not allowed in the technical threads. There are dedicated image threads in most specific forums and there are the Photoforums. Moderators will move or delete images that are posted in the wrong forum or thread without notification. 

It is a good habit, which we encourage, to mention the gear used with each displayed image. 

• Like 1

I am also having a problem.

I took the photo on my phone( for Coffee and a Camera thread), and resized it on a resizing phone app to 198 kb, 1280 on the longest side.

When I try to attach it, I get a message that I'm not permitted to upload this type of file.

Any ideas why? Do I need a minimum number of posts before I can add photos, maybe?

Thanks,

Matt

This happens occasionally. Resave the file on your desktop, make sure the file extension is .jpg and that the dimensions are right, and try again.

Trying to figure out the simplest way to post the highest detail picture on forum out of Lightroom.

Upload limits to 500kb but I see larger pic posted and Lightroom won't let limit me picture to 500kb.

Thanks for your advice

You can set the maximum file size and pixel count in the export dialog.

Forget about Lightroom settings, just resize, export to jpg at max quality, then optimize using:

- an online service such as https://tinypng.com/

- a web service such as https://imageoptim.com/api

- a desktop application such as https://imageoptim.com/mac (macos) or https://www.jpegmini.com/ (jpegmini can be used as a Lightroom / Photoshoop plugin too)

You can also use some of these tools in a script (AppleScript or shell script) on MacOs and use them in your workflow.

Edited by ianman