Brand New TL arrived but had a Screen problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After quite a long wait, i received a New TL yesterday, but sadly, it had to go right back to the U.S. vendor that i purchased it from.

Upon firing it up, I immediately noticed there was an issue with the screen as about 1/2 of a row of pixels did not look right or were not functioning correctly, sadly they were right about in the center of the screen, had it been near the top or bottom edge, i may have been able to live with it.

I did have the camera in my hands for about an hour and it seemed to function perfectly well in every other way, frankly, i am surprised this one got past Leica Quality Control, I've never had a T model in my hands before and as soon as it come on i noticed it within 5 seconds, so this seems odd to me that Leica missed such an obvious issue.

I thought i'd share this info, i presume this is an isolated problem as I did a search of the forum and didn't find anyone else with this particular screen problem.

I am looking forward to my replacement which should arrive tomorrow, and i am hoping it's healthy.

Well I bet it was fine leaving the factory but damaged during shipping to the dealer or to you.  Did you fully charge the battery prior to initial power on? 

Thanks for the thoughts. The battery was 50% charged. The camera worked perfectly in every other way, the screen just had 1/2 of a row of dead pixels running across the center of it.

I suppose a possibility exists of shipping trauma, but the outer and inner boxes were all fine and it was well packed too... i feel strongly this minor electronic part problem existed when the camera left the factory.

Leica has many components made in other countries and the cameras are assembled in Wetzlar from what i have learned, i suppose occasionally a part will slip through QC or the part has an intermittent problem, however, i couldn't get the screen to be ok with many attempted power down and up cycles.

I just wanted to report the issue to the forum.

Just out of curiosity, if I recall correctly you ordered the Titanium TL.  Does it come with a black battery?  As far as I can see there are no Titanium batteries...

Just out of curiosity, if I recall correctly you ordered the Titanium TL.  Does it come with a black battery?  As far as I can see there are no Titanium batteries...

Yes correct, the Titanium model i received came with a black battery, which i feel looks nice and matches the other black features. I am waiting for a replacement camera to arrive later today or tomorrow.

After quite a long wait, i received a New TL yesterday, but sadly, it had to go right back to the U.S. vendor that i purchased it from.

Upon firing it up, I immediately noticed there was an issue with the screen as about 1/2 of a row of pixels did not look right or were not functioning correctly, sadly they were right about in the center of the screen, had it been near the top or bottom edge, i may have been able to live with it.

I did have the camera in my hands for about an hour and it seemed to function perfectly well in every other way, frankly, i am surprised this one got past Leica Quality Control, I've never had a T model in my hands before and as soon as it come on i noticed it within 5 seconds, so this seems odd to me that Leica missed such an obvious issue.

I thought i'd share this info, i presume this is an isolated problem as I did a search of the forum and didn't find anyone else with this particular screen problem.

I am looking forward to my replacement which should arrive tomorrow, and i am hoping it's healthy.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Must be very frustrating. And it kinda puts a dent in your confidence with Leica.

The new one will be perfect!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm really sorry to hear that. Must be very frustrating. And it kinda puts a dent in your confidence with Leica.

The new one will be perfect!

New one arrived and is fine. It was a bit annoying at first but i had another arrive in 2 days, so far a happy ending. I am sure with any manufacturer, an occasional parts supply issue can occur. The camera is fun and i am still learning how it works, but like it quite a lot.

• Like 1