Nature Odyssey

jenniferx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm running out of adjectives. The peace lily is quite exceptional. A lot of people shoot and post photos of plants and flowers but very few demonstrate an understanding of the importance of good light, careful composition, use of bokeh and effective post processing the way yours do.

I hope you'll continue posting because the greatest benefit of this forum is learning good technique by examining each other's work.

One suggestion I'd make is that you consider starting new threads with additional batches of photos. It gets unwieldy when you have to scroll through a large number of images and comments to get to the new stuff. Some people may not even realize new images have been added and won't look at the thread again because they think they've already seen everything there.

• Like 1

Thank you both. I had all but walked away from photography over the last few years and decided over Christmas to buy a secondhand x2 to try and get me interested again; I'm so glad I did. 

You are quite right- I will wind up this thread with the rest of the last batch that were taken earlier in the week and then organise them in fresh threads in the future. 

This is a macro of the new stalk growth in a species of Gunnera. They have absolutely enormous leaves. 

L1732556_zps8at1sqjh.jpg

Another Camelia 

L1732335_zpsp39jwfbb.jpg

Very Tall Rhododendron

L1732425_zpsnkk2kyow.jpg

I think this is some sort of Potentilla but cannot be sure. 

L1732650_zpsl4ra96tw.jpg

• Like 4

I have to say it would have been very sad had you walked away from photography and stayed away. You clearly have a talent for this and do a great job of using the camera to express your vision of the world. Shutting down a creative outlet you are so skilled at would be a real mistake, in my opinion.

• Like 1

You were obviously never meant to walk away from photography, that would have been such a waste! You have an excellent eye fro detail and a delicate touch with composition...

your images are all lovely and some are quite exceptional. There is a quietness, a stillness, about them that is a pleasure to experience and that encourages the viewer to look ever

more closely at the subtle detail of the subject. I too really enjoy your images.  

• Like 1

All are beautifully seen, shot and presented - my two fravorite images are the dark plum colored berries in the first set and the yellow 'peace lily' shown as the second image from the top in the last set........it almost appears to be lit from within.

Thank you !

JZG

• Like 1

Hi Jenniferx,

My wife bought some orchids today.

This picture of them is dedicated to you.

With regards.

Francois

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Jennifer,

To add to your collection of beautiful flowers, I send you this one taken with my D Lux 4 in my sister-in-law garden in Quito.

Regards.

Francois

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Thank you Steve. :)

Francois, thank you, the colours of that flower are beautiful. I imagine the plants you can grow in South America are very different from Northern Ireland! 

Jennifer, Thank you for your comment. Yes we have so many plants here but I love also what grows in NI.

By the way I've been living one year in NI (Aug 2004-Aug 2005). Our house was in Carrickfergus and my job was at the Ballylumford Power Plant on Islandmagee. Unforgettable time!

Jennifer, Thank you for your comment. Yes we have so many plants here but I love also what grows in NI.

By the way I've been living one year in NI (Aug 2004-Aug 2005). Our house was in Carrickfergus and my job was at the Ballylumford Power Plant on Islandmagee. Unforgettable time!

Oh wow! I didn't realise! I am in Belfast and quite familiar with Carrick and the power station as well, my grandmother lived in Whiteabbey for most of her life, which isn't far. What a small world it is. :)