Lens cap for 12504 lens hood

stephengv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I recently bought a 12504 Lens hood from Keh to use on my 35mm Summicron ASPH Ver.1. Problem is I'm having a hard time removing the  (rounded) lens cap when the said hood is attached. Just wondering if there is a specific lens cap for the 12504 cap?

Bonus question, my 12504 is engraved with "Leitz Werzlar Germany", any idea what year was this made? 

Thank you.

There are "Leica camera" 12504 hoods as well (pic). Never heard of a specific lens cap for 12504 but the 39mm Voigtlander clip-on lens cap does fit with the 12585 hood if memory serves. Never tried it with the 12504 hood though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have the voigtlander lens cap, however I use it with my Color Skopar 21. 

I just bought a generic 58mm Lens Cap, without any brand, but I assume its for Nikon Cameras. It works! thank you for the recommendation. My only problem with it is it look cheap haha and adds bulk. 

I have the voigtlander lens cap, however I use it with my Color Skopar 21.

I just bought a generic 58mm Lens Cap, without any brand, but I assume its for Nikon Cameras. It works! thank you for the recommendation. My only problem with it is it look cheap haha and adds bulk.

Have you tried painting a red dot on it?

Just wondering, wil a 39mm Leica Metal Lenscap work with the 12504 lens hood?

You mean the slip on one? No. You'll need a pinch type that you can access from the centre. If you can mount the hood backwards, then there is a cap that will fit over the reversed hood (obviously you can't reverse it with a S7 filter in it). Can't remember the part # sorry.

Edit: Part number 14033

Edited by michaelwj

I don't think I can put the hood in reverse. You're right, its better to get the small cap that can be remove by pinching the center. 

You mean the slip on one? No. You'll need a pinch type that you can access from the centre. If you can mount the hood backwards, then there is a cap that will fit over the reversed hood (obviously you can't reverse it with a S7 filter in it). Can't remember the part # sorry.

Edit: Part number 14033

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Just a small point of clarification here:

The lens that you are writing about does take a filter which has the specifications of:  39mm thread diameter with a 0.5mm thread pitch.

This is generally written as a: Leitz/Leica E39 filter.

The outside diameter of the LENS in question which takes a 14033 reversed lens hood cap is 42 mm where the reversed lens hood clips on. 

The actual cap size designation is "A42".

Whatever you call these types of caps which come in various sizes for Leitz/ Leica lens hoods: Many people find that altho they are useful when storing lenses in a vertical position (Cap up.). When they are used in a number of other contexts they often fall off.

Therefore many people ONLY use them when storing their lenses. Often in a vertical (Cap up.) position.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Thanks for the reply and the detailed explanation. So the "14033 reversed lens hood" is not advisable when using the lens while traveling or shooting? (Of course while inside the camera bag) 

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Just a small point of clarification here:

The lens that you are writing about does take a filter which has the specifications of:  39mm thread diameter with a 0.5mm thread pitch.

This is generally written as a: Leitz/Leica E39 filter.

The outside diameter of the LENS in question which takes a 14033 reversed lens hood cap is 42 mm where the reversed lens hood clips on. 

The actual cap size designation is "A42".

Whatever you call these types of caps which come in various sizes for Leitz/ Leica lens hoods: Many people find that altho they are useful when storing lenses in a vertical position (Cap up.). When they are used in a number of other contexts they often fall off.

Therefore many people ONLY use them when storing their lenses. Often in a vertical (Cap up.) position.

Best Regards,

Michael

I think it would be better to just get the 39mm Clip on hood like the voigtlander. 

You're right, its better to get the small cap that can be remove by pinching the center. 

I don't recommend this arrangement. I used a generic E39 pinch-type cap for a while with the 12504 hood and found it fiddly to get the cap on and off. I put up with it for about a year until I was able to bring myself to spend £100 on the 12526 plastic rectangular hood and ditch the 12504. I much prefer the 12526.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1