Bricolage?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

......and once you have bought your blackish Summicron, as it is a bayonet lens, you would not even be able to use it on your Ilford Witness http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ilford-Witness-35mm-rf-camera-Dallmeyer-2-f2-Super-Six-lens-Leica-coupled-case/331963793296?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D17109e8fb835468ca58a5cebfc10e2ed%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D17%26rkt%3D20%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D302238195452 , as they are L39 mount. To think that Ilford could barely give them away in the 1950's and now the prices are stratospheric. Anyone know how many Witness cameras were sold and how does it compare with 2500 Reid and Sigrist across 5 models, both civilian and military.

Wilson 

I have handled that particular Witness and Jem, the owner of Real Camera when I asked where it came from said a chap walked in with the proverbial cardboard box of cameras from his Dad, recently deceased, towards the bottom between Feds and Zorkis and other "low end " rangefinders, no Leicas, sat the Witness. It was concluded the father bought off markets etc and at some point picked it up for the same price.

It is fairly well used but beautifully made, the feature I found interesting is the base plate. It is set up with two IXMOO type openers both for feed and wind on. No idea what compatibility it has but you could both load and wind to a re-loadable cassette.The only poor idea was having the flash sync inside, not adjustable once a film is loaded nor able to check the setting. (I would have bought it otherwise, it was deal killer  ;) ).

Nice history here:

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Witness.html

Towards the end you can see the interior of the base plate I referenced.

The accepted production is maximum 350.

• Like 1

Chris, 

There were some made afterwards by another third party, not Peto Scott the instrument makers who made most of the Witness cameras for Ilford. The third party, I seem to remember a camera repairer in Romford, Essex, had bought the parts inventory and assembled a number of Witness cameras from them. Interestingly, the cassette to cassette system is also used on my 70mm film Graflex Combat Graphic. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Contax also used the 2 cassette system, although were also supplied with a take up spool. The original Canon (Kwanon?) used two cassettes, and didn't even have a rewind knob. Early illustrations of it show a mix of Leica and Contax features, with a wind knob on the front like the original Contax, and the cassettes were based on the Contax design even on their later Leica-like models.

Chris, 

There were some made afterwards by another third party, 

Yes I heard that/read it somewhere, I have seen a collection of known serials posted maybe on this site as there are threads about the Witness. They start with a 5 so 5289 for example.

The killer on the Manchester camera is the super rare Dallmeyer super six lens.

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/19688.aspx

This was a snip.

This one will not be sold:

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/collection/photography/photographictechnology/collectionitem?id=1990-5036/450/1

My Reid and Sigrist is also an odd camera. The reason was that it was a factory development mule and the owner before me had been a Reid and Sigrist engineer prior to retirement. The serial number on the inner body is beyond the final number (3246) accepted as end of official production for Model III's. The rangefinder is brighter than any other R&S camera I have seen, so maybe a final tweak by the engineers. It possibly started life as an unsold or uncompleted Model 1 without a rangefinder and a complete rangefinder top plate, with an earlier serial number was exchanged for the original top plate at some later date. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just noticed that in the ebay ad the seller says that in the near future he's going to offer a Black Paint M3... probably the paintwork is still unfinished :) (indeed is WORTH to make it with care...)

Ach! They listened to your advice... here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M3-Black-Paint-Camera-Body-L-Seal-very-rare-/292054785431?hash=item43ffd25d97:g:YXUAAOSw4CFYxwBl

Obviously not in the official list AFAIK... ;)

This guy is a prankster: look at the serial number (retouched/faked) on the "certificate of guarantee" (also see the camera, totally different)... :lol:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What do we think this is. A chrome body, with the chrome sanded off, repainted and then with fake distressing (very crudely done). All very smelly in any case. 

Wilson

PS Its serial number does not even fall in the range of original black M3's, so definitely an out and out fake. If you took a photo of DT with it, would that be "fake news"  :)  W.

Edited by wlaidlaw

Setadel is indeed respectable (btw, my Focorapid comes from them) ...

I recently bought a 200mm Telyt from them. No problems at all. Good price (open to a little negotiation), very nice lens, quick shipping. No reason to think they are other than reputable.