Bricolage?

I know the prices of original/untouched ones... my question is about this summicron, that , IMHO, is clearly a repainted one. The paint seems to me different, and in some areas, you don't see black on brass but black on chrome (look for ex. the area where you screw the filter).

The Collectiblend prices are not for original/untouched items only. They include any items in whatever condition that have been offered by a selected group of auctioneers. If you suspect that this item has been repainted and you don't want a repainted one, then you should ignore this 'offer'. There may be others who will take up the 'offer'. I would never buy an item like this on ebay, unless the 'offerer' was somebody I knew and trusted.

William

Another of those lenses over 50 years old that have been used yet by some miracle the original Guarantee paperwork survives those years not lost and in almost perfect condition?

Do I see Rockleigh address and did they move there around 1970 but still sold a BP lens in 1964 from where they were going to be? 

I may be wrong of course.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Moreover: a genuine "black paint 50mm. summicron",  is black even inside, see for ex specimen n.1926583.

Also see the front part of a  genuine n. 1926692  vs.repainted one.

Cheers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I know the prices of original/untouched ones... my question is about this summicron, that , IMHO, is clearly a repainted one. The paint seems to me different, and in some areas, you don't see black on brass but black on chrome (look for ex. the area where you screw the filter).

I agree... btw the asked price apparently jumped from 6700 to 2000 US$...

I have just noticed that in the ebay ad the seller says that in the near future he's going to offer a Black Paint M3... probably the paintwork is still unfinished :) (indeed is WORTH to make it with care...)

I will be most interested.;) My black paint M3 is still nearly pristine and quite convincingly done ( by Shintaro) If he succeeds in making thousands I'll get out the sandpaper and bury it in the garden for a while. :lol:

Another interesting item. Combined black paint and chromed focus ring. It might be original, but it could also be two lenses cobbled into one...

I find the colour difference on the aperture ring lettering suspicious.

Although, it appears to be a reputable seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-LEITZ-50MM-SUMMICRON-F2-BLACK-PAINT-RIGID-M-LENS-W-CAPS-RARE/282389737957?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D6bbfd3855cc9407da760b361c6dc1700%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D292030419098

Another interesting item. Combined black paint and chromed focus ring. It might be original, but it could also be two lenses cobbled into one...

I find the colour difference on the aperture ring lettering suspicious.

Although, it appears to be a reputable seller.

The seller comments on the anomaly in the description, it is rare (of course).

This Leica Summicron 50mm F2 rigid black paint M bayonet mount lens is in great condition cosmetically, mechanically and optically. Serial #2229204. Made in 1967. Comes with front/rear lens caps. Desirable black paint version Summicron 50mm with a rare black chrome bottom.

Yes I saw that. But is it original? The numbers suggest so, but then...

My opinion is that this Summicron (the one from Canadian seller) is original, belonging to the last period of the "black paint" manufacts: Leitz sometimes used mixed parts in those days, to reduce/reorganize inventories.

I'm curious too regarding the upcoming  (alleged) "M3 Black Paint". I stay in tune... B)

• Like 1

I think the only thing to do is to buy it and pay in forged bank notes  :)

I am always surprised there are not more fakes of things like grey painted military LTM cameras (other than the obvious Soviet fakes), given the prices these things are fetching. Swedish army models are often well up into five figures. When I was having my model III repainted, I was offered grey enamel finish but declined. I think my pre-war black finish Elmar 50 may be a fake or re-paint but as it has been in the family since the 1940's, it is of no great concern. 

Wilson

Setadel is indeed respectable (btw, my Focorapid comes from them) but the story of BP Summicrons is so complex that betting 6250 US$ onto is a bit risky :).. what about the Yellow scale ? Ought it to be red? what about the s/n which ought to be marked/written in the focusing Mount ? can be this a combination (maybe, a legitimate factory/Leitz NY rework) of lenshead + base with diffrent finishings ? ?... who knows... too few pics... inspection would be mandatory...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1