There's a dutch text on it which uses the term 'vereveningsontwikkelaar' which is a bit of an archaic term, we call that today 'nivelleringsontwikkelaar': compensating developer. So it might be more 1975 than 1989.

Also strange that it is written in English, Dutch and something Scandinavian, but not in German...

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

You may have googled this, but its interesting that the chap bought his Leicanol from the same shop in 2011...

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/tetenal-leicanol.452428/

John

No I missed that, blame Google, thanks for the link, unusual for that source to turn up something useful in my experience.

I think my pack is for 500ml and as I only have 5 reel tanks I may wait for the Kickstarter tank which takes about that i think

It is strange how some things pre WWW  have so little on the net difficult for example to find much on the R8 or R9 that was contemporary with the launches.

The third language on the package is swedish. A google image serach on Leicanol will show an older type of packaging, looks like 60's or 50's to me so I would guess that the developer was sold pre 1975 as well. There is also a theard from 2009 about Leicanol with some info: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/94581-leicanol/

I also found these development times on a table taken from an old now defunct website, I don't know the accuracy of them but just in case they are of interest to anyone:

Agfapan 25: 4'
Agfapan 100: 5'
Agfapan 400: 5'
Ilford Pan F: 5'30"
Ilford Hp4+: 6'
Ilford Hp5+: 8'
Kodak Pan X: 6'
Kodak Plus X: 6'
Kodak Tri X: 7'

• Like 1

The insert in my pack gives times for the earlier Ilford films and in two columns for agitation at 3 sec inversion "rhythm" and 1 min inversion "rhythm" so:

FP4 6,7

HP5 6,7

Tri-X 5.5,7

My pack therefore must be dated between 1975 (HP5 introduced) and 1989 (HP5+ replaced HP5) as the times are for HP5. 

More obscurely it has times for:

Tura 150 and 400

Foto-Quelle Pan 21

Which turn up little on google.

Thank you for the hint on google image search, mine was first hit  ;)

The shot of the actual powder sachet differs from mine with no X caution labelling on mine so that probably is a later more Health & Safety warning where the Ilford+ films are listed. I do like the pack which is earlier with the Leica script.

• 3 weeks later...

For what information it is worth, this brochure (undated, but believed to be 1940's) states Leicanol is PARVOFIN fine grain developer packaged yielding 600cc, 1L and 5L working solutions. A folded chart of developing times for many old films such as Eisenbeger,Hauff, Herzog, Kranseder, Schleusser, Turaphot, Bauchet, Ferrania and so on, is included.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

For what information it is worth, this brochure (undated, but believed to be 1940's) states Leicanol is PARVOFIN fine grain developer packaged yielding 600cc, 1L and 5L working solutions. A folded chart of developing times for many old films such as Eisenbeger,Hauff, Herzog, Kranseder, Schleusser, Turaphot, Bauchet, Ferrania and so on, is included.

Interesting, it was apparently available earlier than that as well, a list found elsewhere:

"Das Deutsche Lichtbild 1937" what the photographers included in the book used for the published photos:

Rodinal 1:40

Eastman DK 76

David-rezept 1:3

Tetenal Emofin

Agfa-Feinkorn 15

Rodinal 1:50

Rodinal 1:20

Kodak D-76

Tetenal Ultrafin

Perutz-Feinkorn

Final

Parvofin 1:1