M240 Tripod Head suggestions

ECohen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I usually don't use a tripod but lately, shoots have come up where it would have been helpful.

My 4X5 cameras Gitzo is always at home....I think its time to sell that beast.

I've decided on Gitzos Traveler either Series 0 or 1........ I'm still deciding on the exact height.

I'm stuck on the perfect head. I have no experience with the quick release and their base plates.
I am aware of RSS and the 240 plate, they sell but if at all possible, I want to stay away from the RSS company.....and it should be possible.

Anyone have experience with the Gitzo head GH 1383 TQD? It is the head Gitzo recommends for the Traveler line.

Also what brand of base plate is preferred ? I have a feeling choosing the best plate is going to be a real pain in the butt......I'd like to get it right on the first go round

Cost is not a factor but my good sense says to keep it under $1000

All suggestions welcome.... especially if I'm headed in the wrong direction

As always thank you

I have the Gitzo 0545 Traveller and I paired it with the Markins q3t. Nice compact, simple system. But not cheap.

And I got the RRS base for the M240. It adds a bit of weight and bulk over a separate QR plate, but it is convenient.

As an example of the added bulk, I could slide my M240 with standard baseplate into my Domke F5XB without problems, but the little bit of extra height added by the RRS replacement baseplate is enough to cause it to catch.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

This is the tripod head that I use:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=124665&gclid=CJLfs4Kmw9ICFcm1wAod95sGGg&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C&is=REG&A=details  Best tripod head I have ever had. 

I use a Really Right Stuff quick release clamp on the head with the Really Right Stuff M240 base plate  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BM240-Replacement-base-for-M240

This is an outstanding set-up for working from a tripod with an M240 platform camera.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

There're always trade-offs with legs: compactness is achieved with more sections or lower height. More sections means more weight and/or thinner tubes. Thinner tubes means less capacity/rigidity. And vice versa. Etc. Gitzo understand that well and you can usually find one that suits your particular needs among its many Traveller options.

• Like 1

So I recently bought a GT 1545T Gitzo Traveller tripod.  On advice I had it matched with an Acrateck GP-SS (with knob SS).  

It was a fantastic ballhead in use but the tripod legs did not fully fold back over the Acratech head when the legs were folded back for carrying with the shoulderstrap.  I could manage with the tripod collapsed, legs not folded over, and the head sticking out but it was not as well protected.

So I swapped it over for a Gitzo GH 1382TQD which is the head usually paired with the tripod by Gitzo.  I have the Gitzo plate supplied with the head and two dedicated Leica plates (M7 & digital M).  I would prefer if the Acra plates could be attached to the camera by hand with a D-Ring (like the Gitzo plate) but they apparently only have hex key fitted plates for security (albeit inconvenience).

The tripod easily supports weight up to an M camera with 28-90 or 80-200 Zoom lens with tripod collars, or a Plaubel Makina 670.  Unfortunately this latest version of the 1 series tripod does not have a hook on the bottom of the centre pillar. My supplier is seeing if he can find one that will fit.

The shoulder strap system is excellent.

• Like 1

I agree that any alternative head can cause problems with the Gitzo Travellers. The Markins Q3T doesn't allow the legs to fold back fully, but close enough for my needs (I'd had this confirmed by another user before buying). The Markins head is a bit lighter than the Gitzo 1382TQD, which is otherwise a better fit.

• Like 2

Currently I'm leaning toward the Gitzo head GH 1383 TQD for two reasons
First it was designed for the Traveler legs and it closes properly And so far I haven't heard anything bad about it....Does anyone on this forum use one?

There are great reviews and suggestions of other heads that I would prefer but I'm afraid the Gitzo Traveler legs wont close properly defeating the compact purpose. And I'm not in a position to try or even see before I buy .....I miss the ol' fashion camera shop.

For example I'd prefer  Markins q3t, Arca Swiss...and a few others but I'm not sure which if any model would close properly or if its a good match.

I also prefer the simplicity of the G1177M head which has been discontinued......I'm not sure I even need a tripod with a QR. All the parts and pieces for my different cameras and lenses  seems like so much over kill.  But I am a bit old school.

I do appericate all your help and suggestions ...I'm about the pull the trigger soon

Because in an hour I'm about to go on a shoot with a tripod that way to heavy for the camera I'm putting on it.

• Like 1

FWIW, here is the Gitzo 0545 Traveller with the Markins Q3T head. This is what I mean when I say the legs close close enough for me - only you can decide if that works for you. I'm sure the Gitzo head would allow them to close closer, but for a slight increase in weight.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I can recommend an Acratech GP-SS ballhead, which fits very nicely between the folded up legs of my earlier generation Traveler (GT1541T). It all fits in the Gitzo Traveler tripod case, which was not built to be roomy. I do use an RRS plate plate but any quality Arca compatible should fit the Acratech clamp securely. By the way, the Acratech is very nice - having previously owned several RRS, Arca-Swiss, and Markins ballheads over the years.

Edited by pharyngula
  • Like 1

I can recommend an Acratech GP-SS ballhead, which fits very nicely between the folded up legs of my earlier generation Traveler (GT1541T). It all fits in the Gitzo Traveler tripod case, which was not built to be roomy. I do use an RRS plate plate but any quality Arca compatible should fit the Acratech clamp securely. By the way, the Acratech is very nice - having previously owned several RRS, Arca-Swiss, and Markins ballheads over the years.

Yes I mentioned the GP-SS ballhead above, and it was a delight to use. However, for me it's functional advantages over the GH1382TQD didn't offset the portability advantage of the latter.  I wanted to keep both but really couldn't justify it  :rolleyes:

• Like 1