How do you process your raws?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The evolvement of this thread is quite funny, I don't think the OP was very serious with his question at all in the first place and if he was it was posted in the S section so this very broad question at least only applied to two kind of cameras, S with a CCD or a CMSO sensor. But now it has been moved so it applies to all kind of cameras which makes it so broad it is pointless.

The best reply to this thread has already been written and it was #2 by David.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Photo Mechanic to import. I add Meta data identification at this stage. I then open selected files in Adobe Camera Raw. As of late a pattern has emerged. I leave Exposure unchanged, reduce Highlights, increase (open up) shadows, increase Whites, and increase Blacks. Of course, it is a balancing act for each photograph. I go with default sharpening and noise reduction. Then I do any perspective correction in Adobe Raw. If there is purple fringing, I correct that. Depending on the Photograph, I may use a gradient or vignette. Often with a Vignette, I use two, one to darken the outer portion, and one to lighten the inner portion.

At this point, I bring the image into Photoshop, where I apply adjustment layers, allowing me to mask. My go to layers are Curves, Color (HSL), and Selective color adjustment. Before applying layers, I do spot removal--viewing at 100%. If I do any object removal, like a mike stand or piece of garbage, I do that before applying layers. Depending on requirements, I also add a layer to dodge and burn.

If I am converting to monochrome, I now use D&O rather than Nik, I do it at this point. If I do any more sharpening, I do it in the Nik program.

No photo gets all of these adjustments. I work to keep the colors natural rather than over saturated. My go to phrase is, Can I sell this? In other words, is it believable.