Is something further happening at Kodak Alaris - film stocks low

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have stopped using Kodak Portra 400 in my Rolleiflex 3.5E, as I was getting print through from the backing paper and you could see ghost images of the Kodak logo and numbers, especially on scanning on my Epson V700 flatbed. I suspect this is from the black metal back of the camera getting over-hot, using it and carrying it around in the south of France in the summer but I don't get it with Fuji Pro 400. Anyone else had this problem? I don't have a case for my Rolleiflex, which has never worried me, as I don't like camera cases. The only camera I use in a case is my I ©  Standard, as it has no lugs for a strap and the same would apply to my O series, once I start to use it. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

That's a known issue with recent Kodak 120 - at least with some emulsions. T-Max100 120 has been out of production completely for many months, dealing with that, and possibly other production issues.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/264340-where-has-all-the-120-tmax-100-gone/

Kodak changed the backing paper a year ago, which apparently is the cause of the print-through problem, so they've been working on that.

It's actually the ink from the next layer down in the roll, offset-printing from the paper back to the front of the emulsion "above" it in the roll, or otherwise fogging or whatever it does to produce an image of the word "Kodak" and the numbers, in the actual film grain.

And yes, heat/pressure in storage is one thing Kodak puts the blame on. But not from the back per se - more likely as the roll sits waiting for exposure (or after exposure) in the bottom or top of your Rollei. Or even in the truck to your film supplier.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2

Andy, 

I know what you mean about trucks getting over-warm. I am very fond of chocolate bars made by a Swiss company called Villars, where each block has a small amount of eau de vie spirits in it, my favourite being Poire Williams. However I never buy them in my local supermarket in France in July and August, as the bars have usually overheated during delivery and all the alcoholic content has evaporated. 

I bought the Portra 400/120 film from FNAC which is a big multiple store. I was a bit surprised it was just on a hook in their overheated shop in Marseille with a lot of audio video equipment running and not in cold storage. 

Wilson

.... I am very fond of chocolate bars made by a Swiss company called Villars, where each block has a small amount of eau de vie spirits in it, my favourite being Poire Williams. ....

That's the very thing we had with the coffee after dinner tonight.

• Like 1

That's a known issue with recent Kodak 120 - at least with some emulsions. T-Max100 120 has been out of production completely for many months, dealing with that, and possibly other production issues.

Ilford have had some issues but not as pronounced as Kodak and I understand from elsewhere they have bought in a German printing machine to work in-house and perhaps a slitter, these not personally confirmed.

Certainly imperfect storage, often quoted as in transport as certain sub batches are worse that were in a different truck than the same batch that went a different route. When the chain is so long it is a nightmare. I buy Ilford direct from the factory and wish they coated colour but I can't see that happening unless it shows up as a Kickstarter!! The money being raised there on film related stuff is getting serious, could they do the research and testing for $500,000?

Ilford have had some issues but not as pronounced as Kodak and I understand from elsewhere they have bought in a German printing machine to work in-house and perhaps a slitter, these not personally confirmed.

Certainly imperfect storage, often quoted as in transport as certain sub batches are worse that were in a different truck than the same batch that went a different route. When the chain is so long it is a nightmare. I buy Ilford direct from the factory and wish they coated colour but I can't see that happening unless it shows up as a Kickstarter!! The money being raised there on film related stuff is getting serious, could they do the research and testing for $500,000?

I doubt Ilford would ever make that back in profits, unless Kodak withdraws or is forced to withdraw from economic circumstances, like losing yet more millions on their stupid cheap Android tablet venture. That is why I feel the Ferrania operation just does not make any sense, however admirable the aims might be. 

Anyone for Autochrome?

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt Ilford would ever make that back in profits, 

Wilson

They don't need to, they offer rolls to the backers, as Ferrannia did, the money is not borrowed it isn't ever paid back, they get it for the price of rolls, the backers take the risk. That they would be unlikely to make profit even if the research was "free" is unlikely at the moment but who knows who predicted Ektachrome revival?

They did make colour film once upon a time; They made Dufaycolor then post war Ilford Colour ' D' then  Ilfachrome, Ilfocolor, Colorprint, at a price inclusive of processing and of a proof print strip then 'Colorslide' and  Super Colorslide some of the latter I still have which have stored well, unlike Ektachrome!! 

They are not without experience and Ferrania have shown revival is possible.

The Ilford "official" history/chronology hardy mentions their colour work.

They stopped selling colour film under their name in 1969 but sold to re-branders then re-started in the 80's with  IIfochrome 100 E6 and Ilfocolor HR colour print film but Konica were coating for them and later Agfa made for them.

• Like 2

I don't know what the current Agfa colour films, Agfacolor and Precisa are like. Are they still made by Agfa at the Belgian plant, which currently makes the Rollei black and white film or are they rebranded films from another maker? Agfa slide film used to be very good for nature photos, with very realistic greens and brows but that is back 40 years ago and I would guess the current Precisa bears little relationship to the Agfachrome of yore. Their colour negative film used to be very much a budget item, was sold in supermarkets and was very ordinary. It was sometimes the cheap film sent out by the free film merchants like Gratispool etc but again, that is in the dim, distant past. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Another forum thinks that Agfa Precisa CT100 is rebranded Fuji Trebi Japanese domestic market economy positive film. I see that Poundland in the UK is selling Agfa Vista Plus at £1 for a 24 exp roll. 

Wilson

Just as a follow up to my posts above, Calumet yesterday shipped my backordered Portra 400 so I guess they have received some new supplies (expiry date 08/19) or found some at the back of the warehouse. I now have more Portra than I know what to do with. :lol:

Edited by wattsy

Just as a follow up to my posts above, Calumet yesterday shipped my backordered Portra 400 so I guess they have received some new supplies (expiry date 08/19) or found some at the back of the warehouse. I now have more Portra than I know what to do with. :lol:

I bet you can figure something out....

The Kodak boat must have docked in the last few weeks, as both lots of my Ektar 100 on back order, also arrived today. I now have probably too much colour negative film for my current needs but it will keep in the freezer. I must get a new Tupperware container, as someone seems to have managed to crack my current film container in our chest freezer, by cramming in too much stuff and then forcing the lid shut. 

Wilson

• Like 2