Is something further happening at Kodak Alaris - film stocks low

wlaidlaw

B&H has stock at $6.75 USD per roll. They've recently rationalised their shipping, so still reasonable value in moderate quantities.

That's where I get mine.

J :)

Wrong side of the pond I am afraid and also the wrong side of UK Customs and Excise. I have had 6 x 70mm empty Linhof cassettes for my Combat Graphic, sitting in Customs at Heathrow for over two weeks now. There is likely no customs due on these second hand cassettes, it just needs someone to get their finger out and release them. 

Wilson

Mathers - a dealer local to me - seem to have it in stock at £6.99 a roll...

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/product.aspx?id=1216&IsProduct=True

Good tip. They also (seem to) have Portra 400 in stock at a fair price so I've taken the opportunity to top up my stock.

Edit: Turned out they only had 3 rolls left in stock so my stock isn't going up by many. :huh:

Edited by wattsy

Chris,

Thanks for that update. I found another Kodak info sheet dated Nov 2016, which talked about the Kirkby plant coating film stock for Europe, when it would appear it shut in 2007. Indicative of the disorganisation going on in Kodak today. I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky that they are making film at all. 

Wilson

Is there maybe some confusion caused by Kodak (original) closing and the new Kodak emerging from the ashes.

Gerry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there maybe some confusion caused by Kodak (original) closing and the new Kodak emerging from the ashes.

Gerry

Certainly at Kodak that seems to be the case. For example "Kodachrome is coming back". "Oh no it isn't" just two weeks later :wacko: . 

I was told today by a retailer that their supplier of Kodak Portra 400 has indicated that "they will not get any more of it". I'm inclined to think it is nonsense but there is certainly a supply issue with this film and B&H are now out of stock. Calumet (not the retailer just referred to) are unable to get an ETA for it.

To be fair, Kodak never stated Kodachrome was coming back.

One of their senior US executives certainly gave the impression that they were seriously looking at it. The MD of Alaris UK then said "well they have not talked to me about it and it would be us that would be doing it but it is just not feasible, economically or environmentally" or words to that effect. 

Wilson

I am seriously wondering if all is rosy at Kodak, if you add this current shortage to the disappearance of 120 T-Max it does look as though there could be some issues brewing. If this is the case the future looks bleak for colour film users, especially if the rumours about Fuji dropping some of their line turn out to be true.

Hopefully this is a minor blip in the supply chain.

Having been a Fuji shooter for over 25 years, and recently moved over to Kodak (Ektar and Portra), I would be more more than a little disappointed if supplies of these films mysteriously dried up!

In any event, I consider this unlikely. I suspect Kodak has underestimated the upsurge in demand and has yet to amend their manufacturing scale to compensate, assuming this is possible.

We shall see :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I am seriously wondering if all is rosy at Kodak, if you add this current shortage to the disappearance of 120 T-Max it does look as though there could be some issues brewing. If this is the case the future looks bleak for colour film users, especially if the rumours about Fuji dropping some of their line turn out to be true.

Hopefully this is a minor blip in the supply chain.

We will all be reduced to using Japanese BlueFilm Murano. I bought a couple of rolls when it was all you could get in 127, before Maco restarted production. It was like 1950's Ektacolor for those that remember that far back. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Having been a Fuji shooter for over 25 years, and recently moved over to Kodak (Ektar and Portra), I would be more more than a little disappointed if supplies of these films mysteriously dried up!

In any event, I consider this unlikely. I suspect Kodak has underestimated the upsurge in demand and has yet to amend their manufacturing scale to compensate, assuming this is possible.

Yes, I don't think there is any reason to be overly pessimistic about the supply issue. My guess is that Kodak make their film in batches and we just need to be patient when supply dries up. I've ended up ordering Portra from Adorama and will have to suck up the shipping and import costs. It'll end up costing me more than I am used to paying locally but I'd rather have the film and will have more than enough to see me through to the summer.

• Like 1

Says more due in 14 days, keep an eye on that deadline perhaps?

Silverprint have been saying "due February" for quite some time. Most retailers seem to be "awaiting stock". Calumet tried to get me an ETA through their supplier but came back empty handed. I suspect it will come back into stock quite unexpectedly some time later in the spring (priced another quid or so higher) and then go out of stock again a few months later. I think the lesson is to buy it in decent quantities when it is available because, apart from the inconvenience of running out when it is out of stock, I don't think it is going to get any cheaper. :)

Jessops of all places appear to have it in stock and with free delivery. The catch is that they are charging what must be full RRP – £59.99 per 5-pack.

Edited by wattsy

Amazon UK have stock of Portra 400 35mm x 5 but at quite a high price of £52.90. Like others they have no stock of P400 in 120. They also have stock of Portra 160 in 120 x 5 at a more reasonable £23.99. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

Amazon UK have stock of Portra 400 35mm x 5 but at quite a high price of £52.90. Like others they have no stock of P400 in 120. They also have stock of Portra 160 in 120 x 5 at a more reasonable £23.99. 

Yes, I saw that Amazon offering – it is actually a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon. I ended up ordering from Adorama. Even with the shipping and likely imposition of various import charges and VAT, it should still be cheaper than that marketplace seller price and a fair bit cheaper than Jessops. It was seeing B&H go out of stock (and the vague "More coming soon" message) that made me decide to order a substantial amount whilst I still can. Provided I don't change my photographic habits, I will have enough Portra 400 to last most of this year. I'm quite confident a normal supply situation will have returned by then.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I ended up ordering from Adorama. Even with the shipping and likely imposition of various import charges and VAT, it should still be cheaper than that marketplace seller price and a fair bit cheaper than Jessops. 

Interesting how there is a large differential to the Fuji Pro400H from Portra400 on Adorama, is that "normal" in the USA?

Yes, Portra 400 at my little shop in Denver also runs about 20% less than Fuji Pro400H. In either 35mm or 120.

Of course, Kodak's C-41 films are "subsidized" by the motion picture industry to some extent, a market Fuji abandoned. But if Kodak and Fuji are priced closer in the EU/UK or elsewhere, that probably just boils down to "what the market will bear."

• Like 1