35mm Summilux Pre Asph German

spikemozeley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear friends,

I am having trouble finding a reasonable valuation for a late model 35mm Summilux Pre Asph German version.

Am looking at a mint version with hood. Think it is 1992.

Can't find any German versions on EBay. Just interested to hear what you guys think it's worth.

Thanks!

My Summilux-M 1.4/35 # 3 537 xxx (from 1990) was found "cheap" at 1300€ 2-3 years ago.

The funny (or not) things:

I have owned one in Titanium finish that I have sold for 1 200€ some years before (replaced by 35 Lux Asph.) and regretted it.

now I have seen some "black" selling for 1 500€ to 1 900€ and more than 2 500€ for Titanium finish.

Found this ebay search : http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_pgn=1&isRefine=false&_nkw=summilux%2035mm

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Yes but 2014's prices…

At present, Richard Caplan (London) has a black mint example with Leitz hood and filter priced £1599. But the photo shows 'Canada' stamped on the body. Possibly the lens would need alteration by Leica to allow focus to infinity on recent M cameras, which rather put me off it.

You can always try switching on the 'Sold Items' filter on eBay as well, to see what previous copies went for.

Seems like maybe something like 1900 Euros at the top end? 2400 Euros is a wow price but maybe they went up and I missed it.

I've had a titanium one previously but didn't feel it merited any kind of premium. The numbering seemed more prone to flake off and the build quality didn't seem better. 

I sold it for a premium and picked up a normal German one - it wasn't the country of assembly but the coatings/optical condition that drove me to looking for a late one.

I saw some real shockers when I was looking, clean barrel, nice condition but like looking down into a untended goldfish bowl through the middle.

Certainly a prime candidate lens to buy only from some kind of official dealer, given the issues 30 odd years could see in those pretty curved elements.

You could always consider one without the 12504 hood too if it's a good lens, the hood is easily acquired elsewhere if necessary (though offset the added value of it too.)

Good luck. Such a superb/terrible lens, I love mine. :)

It's a beautiful lens, and I think the only reason to get a German one would be age and lack of abuse. Some are very old and were mostly bought by photojournalists back when that was a thing with film. They weren't babied and a lot suffered. By the time the German ones arrived I can't imagine there were that many pros buying one new.

I bought mine for A$1500 with hood, but the aperture was stiff and needed a service which cost another A$150. That's about €1100? I wouldn't go above €2000 for a mint with hood.

The German-made units pop up infrequently. There's not exactly a lot of them out there to start with. 

I followed one on eBay several weeks ago that was really clean with a "Buy it Now" price of $2,150. The seller had to re-list it twice before someone finally nabbed it. I was tempted...

Yes but 2014's prices…

At present, Richard Caplan (London) has a black mint example with Leitz hood and filter priced £1599. But the photo shows 'Canada' stamped on the body. Possibly the lens would need alteration by Leica to allow focus to infinity on recent M cameras, which rather put me off it.

What a BS. My Lux 35 is from 1973 Canada, never had an alteration, never had focusing problems: 5 metres is 5 metres on the distance scale as well on the Leica T EVF as on Leica M2 and M6 and is still in Top condition. More neutral in color rendition. Don't like the Pop up colors from the newest lenses.

A lot of negative comments are circulating on the Net. Somebody stated he never succeeded in making one sharp image with this lens.

Either he found a very bad copy or he had a bad adjusted M camera.

Know-how is sometimes hard to find and a lot of bla bla.

My German body from 1989 works perfectly with both my Leica (M240, M8.2) and non Leica (Sony A7s mod, Fuji X-E2) bodies. Any legacy lens may need some CLA or calibration though. The Summilux 35 pre-asph is not different from other Leica lenses in this regard.

• Like 1

What a BS. My Lux 35 is from 1973 Canada, never had an alteration, never had focusing problems:

Merely quoting the M10 M262 instruction manuals……. So BS to Leica perhaps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

...Know-how is sometimes hard to find and a lot of bla bla.

It's not that difficult. Some of those lenses will not work on a digital M camera without modifications. Any digital M. It's been known for several years now.

The wording "some of the lenses will not work" implies that some presumably will work. If yours does, you're just lucky. No need to laugh at others whose lenses don't.

It's one of my favourites and although I use the current Summilux-M 35 ASPH FLE I love the size and rendering of this little beauty.

I have had one a few years ago and sold it  and then on looking back through my images loved the soft look at 1.4.

After searching for a long while I have finally found another one which I have recently had 6bit coded and it's one of my favourites along with my 50 Summilux Pre-ASPH.

I think I paid approx. $1700 Euro or around 1800 US $ if thats any help.

• Like 1