Doubts buying new lenses for my M9

kilitxu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here.

I bought an M9 in mint condition a few months ago with a cron 35 IV german and a 50 mm cron.

I'm very happy with both lenses but I find them too close one to the other.

I have the opportunity to buy a cron 28 asph in mint condition, and this probably will make sense.

But, today I found one person that is selling 3 lenses, elmarit 90, cron 35 asph and a 21 super elmar. All of them in great condition and an extremely good price for the package.

What are you opinions?

Thanks

O

My Leica M kit was 35, 50, & 90 for decades, and since digital I added 21. I've used 28 on other cameras, but with my M9 and a good 21 I can crop and get equivalent results. All three lenses you are offered are excellent. I'd go with that and not worry about the "gap" with no 28. You can always sell whichever 35 you like least to fund a 28 later if you must have one.

• Like 2

Everybody is different in what they aim to achieve in their shots. Although I own a 20mm (another mfr) which I use on both full frame & cropped bodies, I've never had the desire to get the 21 for my Leica (I can use the 20 as well as a 28 I have on the Leica using zone focusing), as I'd rarely use it. 35 & 50 are perfect for me, although I also use a 90 & 135 - again on both full frame & cropped bodies. Personally, you've only had your camera for a short while....hardly long enough to get the full understanding of what your lenses can do under a variety of lighting conditions, contrast situations, and potential flare situations. I'd suggest you keep what you have and after a year or so, if you want to expand, do so, but more fully informed about what you can get out of the various lenses.

• Like 1

Personally, I have made the decision to never sell a Leica lens. Too many stories of people later regretting selling a particular lens. And there are plenty of situations where a 35 or 50 will be preferable to the other, even though they are close in focal length. So I would probably just add a 28 or 21 to the mix you already have and continue to build from there.

On the other hand, you could get the 21, 35, and 90, and then just sell whichever 35 you liked the least. Nothing wrong with that option either.

• Like 3

Each personal choice is different. I have tried 25 (Viogtlander) and 28 (Elmarit-M III), they were way too wide for me to be able to control entire frame. Here is big gap between 35 and 50 for me. 35 - do it all, 50 -  portraits. 90 I have tried twice and just can't find enough use of it. 

To be honest, if you have particular lens in mind - get it. Do not waste time on lenses which you have similar or wasn't planing. Getting lenses just because might be profitable on re-sale, but not for photography.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

28/2 is wonderful on M9, as is SEM21 :)

The 90 crons are very nice but very heavy. I have tired many 90s. Now I use the 90/2.8 tele-elmarit "Thin" daily on the M9. It's so light, and while it's way behind the crons at F/2.8, it's fine for portraits, and down at F/8 it is as good as any of them, according to Puts. 225 grams.

32735060035_12931ac588_b.jpg

L1056967-3 by unoh7, on Flickr

For UWA, if you have the 28 cron now, I would suggest SEM18 with ZI18 OVF. No Leica finder is so nice, let alone an execrable EVF. ;)

Edited by uhoh7