Leica M Lenses -- what's up next?

Leicauser7

When Leica moved to the CMOS sensor, the possibility of lenses for evf use only (ie, uncoupled lenses) opened up. M mount macros, wides, zooms and teles became possible, all based on successful R designs. Leica never did it ...

I guess that was because they were already working on the SL, which would suggest that the M cameras and lenses will always be linked to the coupled rangefinder.

While new wides might be appealing, aren't they more likely in L mount?

1) 300/ 5.6.

The wide and normal focal lengths are already fabulous. If I were Leica I would aim at capturing more of the dSLR users. A perceived weakness of rangefinders is the ability to use telephotos longer than 90/135mm accurately. Now we have Live View as standard on 2 generations of M bodies, I think a medium tele would make sense. It should be inkeeping with the M ethos of small and lightweight - narrow enough aperture to keep it light and work within user error of contrast peaking in live view. I would guess a 300mm f5.6 would be of interest to landscape and architecture photogs.

2) An M mount 2x teleconverter.

Okay, slightly leftfield idea, but think about it in light of the above comments. No focus coupling so Live View only. Easy to design and produce by updating the old R mount TCs. Many digital M owners with Live View would consider adding one to their kit.

3) 75 lux ASPH APO FLE

I consider this inevitable, though personally I would always prefer a 90mm.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks all for the very interesting replies. My favorite lens is my 75 lux ... hard to imagine a replacement providing bokeh in the same league, but if they could retain that while improving focus ease and micro contrast... wow, they'd have a hell of a lens.... and I suspect given its size and likely cost the market could support a lux and chron, especially as the success of the m10 causes the overall market to expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Leicauser7

With available tele R and adapted CaNikon long lenses, does this really make that much business sense?

That's up to the market research folk to determine. 

A newly calculated 200 f/4 ASPH M lens would surpass the older R lenses in image quality and would undoubtedly outperform any Nikon or Canon lens by a wide margin.  Whether Leica M users would buy enough copies of the proposed lens to justify the cost of bringing it to market is another matter.

Edited by Carlos Danger

I think what I would love to see is some truly innovative work applying nanopatterning, plasmonics, and metamaterials to camera lenses. I think moving from classical physics to the quantum scale could be the next breakthrough leap in lens design reducing size and weight.

For example applying research like https://www.seas.harvard.edu/capasso/2016/06/flat-lens-for-visible-wavelengths/

More realistically, I think that the thrust for them is to take skills and experience from the M and apply them to SL lenses to reduce their size. When they talked about the SL roadmap they seemed to acknowledge that the shift to telecentric lens design while allowing them to make great lenses with minimal defects wasn't as warmly received as they had hoped. It seemed like the only thing that anyone talked about was how big the lenses were.

What's next for the M? Without a jump to applied quantum physics vs classical optics, like mentioned above, I really don't see where they can go next on the M. There aren't many weaknesses or gaps it seems. It seems like they are at a level of maturity where the designs are mature and so maybe they could focus on reducing cost while maintaining the required quality.

Thanks all for the very interesting replies. My favorite lens is my 75 lux ... hard to imagine a replacement providing bokeh in the same league, but if they could retain that while improving focus ease and micro contrast... wow, they'd have a hell of a lens.... and I suspect given its size and likely cost the market could support a lux and chron, especially as the success of the m10 causes the overall market to expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's already the diminutive 75 ASPH that is an absolutely stellar little lens, plus the Summarit.

It's very hard to see the why or the how of a 75mm lens with an aperture of f/1.4 now, the technology that enabled the Summilux is a closed door now isn't it?

For myself, I can't see the attraction in 'remaking' something that is already a bone fide stone cold classic. You can't 'improve' imperfection imho.

I think the 90APO seems a much more likely candidate for revision but then Leica are very full of surprises and also seem to indulge shorter production runs of increasingly esoteric lenses.

• Like 2

1) 300/ 5.6.

The wide and normal focal lengths are already fabulous. If I were Leica I would aim at capturing more of the dSLR users. A perceived weakness of rangefinders is the ability to use telephotos longer than 90/135mm accurately. Now we have Live View as standard on 2 generations of M bodies, I think a medium tele would make sense. It should be inkeeping with the M ethos of small and lightweight - narrow enough aperture to keep it light and work within user error of contrast peaking in live view. I would guess a 300mm f5.6 would be of interest to landscape and architecture photogs.

a 300/4,0 would be more logic. It has to be a very good on.  If I look at my 300 AF IF ED Nikkor, I think it's hard to compete with such a lens. 

2 - An updated 50/2 to replace the v5

Why? Isn't it nice to have one lens, which is really wonderful and still in production.  If people want a " better " lens, there is the option of the Summicron aspherical 50mm. 

It's hard to make a better lens than the summicron 50 for this current price I think. The summarit 50 did not change that IMHO. 

• Like 1

I know that my own reasoning about future lenses has been always wrong, so I start again (even if it might instigate further unreasonable products by Leica):

• The market for 75mm lenses is much smaller than for 28mm. With a 75mm Summilux - besides the Summicron or replacing it - they would aggravate the problems they already have to calibrate their lenses for the rangefinder - or vice versa. 
  • The 50mm Summicron Apo.Asph was the anwser to the question, whether the present 50 Summicron could be bettered by a new version. 
  • With long telephoto lenses they compete with the second hand market of their own products for the R System. Even rare and stellar lenses as the the Apo-Telyt-R  1:4/280mm can still be bought second hand - for 1/3 of the price one would have to pay for a new M telephoto lens, which might not be as good as the "old" one due to the restrictions of the M-bayonet. .

Perhaps more realistic:

• The 50mm Summilux asph. is more than 10 years old now - and it seems to be their new "50 Elmar" (standard, most bought lens). I don't rule out that some slight optical and/or  cosmetical changes could be offered as a "new" lens (e.g. the 35mm Summicron asph).

• Since I already mentioned  a 50 Elmar - and they started to re-introduce "retro style" designs....
  • And if there was no 90mm Makro-Elmar, I'd say a new version of the 3-lenses 90mm Elmar would be the obvious next candidate.   
Edited by UliWer

If I understood that first paragraph, I'd probably thank you for posting it ...

Heh

Nanopatterning is something sort of like a fresnel lens in that it is flat and textured but instead of having huge grooves that you can see these are made with semiconductor manufacturing techniques so the features are smaller than a wavelength of light. A special kind of nanopatterning are things called metamaterials and they can do amazing things like have negative refractive indexes.

Plasmonics are when you make use of the electromagnetic waves as well as the ray like beam. So when the photon transitions through a material you can conduct the electricity locally to redirect the energy or handle frequencies separately.

In other words, instead of designing around 19th century classical optics and 20th century manufacturing. This stuff would be applying 20th and 21st century physics and manufacturing.

• Like 1

Would love to see  a trio of compact and maybe collapsible f/4 bi-Elmars, like a 16-28, 35-75 and 50-90.

Are you willing to trade the 2,0 for a 4,0 aperture in this case?

To quote an unknown photographer ( but very good violin player ) : " Ich slep mich noch lieber am Tode " roughly translated: I'll rather die, than go for lightweight lenses...

Are you willing to trade the 2,0 for a 4,0 aperture in this case?

Why not? I've recently traded an F2 lens for an F5.6 lens of equivalent focal length. Provided I have a lens with a fast aperture for the times when I really need it, I prefer my other lenses to be small or have other benefits unrelated to speed.

• Like 3